Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TUSCANI(tiburon) 1.6doch (in europe also sales 1.6L)

When i started my engine this have a noisy from timin belt zone(or FRONT engine zone).
This noise is only in first 5min, after the noise disapear.

I have a record of this noise, i attached this.

Some hyundai dealers says this noise is tipic in this engines.... and no problem for engine.

TRY DOWNLOAD THIS RECORD:

http://213.227.18.165/sonidos/ruidohyundai.zip

Attachments

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Hi!........the Dealers are correct, the tapping sound from under the valve cover when the engine is idling, immediately following a cold start, is typical of Hyundai engines.

The sound is made by the HLA`s (hydraulic lash adjusters). The oil inside these can drain back into your sump (oilpan) overnight & they take a few minutes to re-fill themselves when you start up in the morning.

This effect can be mimimised by using flushing oil, then draining & re-filling with a good quality pure synthetic oil such as Mobil 1.

It is important to ALWAYS keep the oil-level topped up to MAX on your dipstick!.

Cheers,
Nick. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Some mechanics says this is a "piston clearance" but other mechanics says "timing chain noise".

I dont think this noise is "timing chain" , but timing chain is in rear engine... and the noise sound in Front engine (timing belt zone)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by tuscani16@Nov 10 2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks.

Some mechanics says this is a "piston clearance" but other mechanics says "timing chain noise".

I dont think  this noise is "timing chain" , but timing chain is in rear engine... and the noise sound in Front engine (timing belt zone)
[snapback]2574[/snapback]​

I have the same problem in my Accent with the 1.6L. I have been told it is a piston clearance problem. See the thread in the Accent Forum under Engine Noise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I have the problem with valvetrain noise upon startup but only on hot days, and I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30. But it only does it when you first start up. But if it continues to do that then you have a problem in your head. When I wrote service at a local Hyundai dealership with had a Tiburon with a similar problem and we had to get it fixed. But that noise sounds like it's pretty bad. Definately need to get that fixed at the dealer.

Good luck with it.

Vince.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HCUK

Hi i would like to assure you all that this is an inherant noise. the piston rattles up the bore. this is piaston slap. this will go when the car is warm because the piston becomes the right size in the bore. We have no cure for this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by HCUKTHETA@Feb 19 2005, 11:20 PM
We have no cure for this.
[snapback]7282[/snapback]​

Hi!
dealer has fix my problem, it has changed the pistons, but the noise has returned, very reduced...

Is a piston slap a problem? is it bad for engine??
Cure is a new engine?

Note: my car have only 40.000KMS, and noise apears with only 10.000KMS :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts