Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked out the new gen i10 yesterday and loved it. Ended up choosing the Premium model in orange, plus most of the addons. This comes to £11,440 on the Hyundai website.

My current i10 is a June 2010 Comfort red model in excellent condition and with just 29K on the clock. It's been a great car since I bought it new on the Happy Returns deal. It's got a full service history of course and is from the same dealer as the new one. Note that I get 3 years free servicing with the new one since I'm already an i10 owner, which is a great deal as long as I get a fair price for my old one...

The salesman looked over the car and gave me a part exchange price of £3400. This seemed reasonable until I checked it with What Car and Parkers.

For one in excellent condition like mine, What Car quotes a price of £4269. For good condition it's £4145 and poor it's £3814.

As you can see, even a poor one is worth significantly more than they're offering me. In my case I'm losing out by a huge £869, which I think is unacceptable. Parker's evaluated it at £4090, very close to What Car.

It's not often that I buy a car, so I'd be very grateful for tips on the best way to approach the salesman to haggle for a better price. He was very pleasant and a seasoned veteran, being in the business for over 40 years, so I don't expect it to be confrontational.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if he refuses point blank to give me £4200 for it, so what sort of price do you think I should settle for?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Is the new car discounted?
He may be giving a big discount on the new i10
Check orange wheels for a discount price guide.
Its a balance of discounts and px price.

Try
Wewantanycar

Webuyanycar

They give you a general idea of price.

List it on eBay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I get £4017 & £3935 respectively.

No, the new car wasn't discounted. However, we looked at his price guide card together and his back-of-the-envelope scribblings came to £11,195, which is £245 less than the web price for some reason. Also, the price of a couple of the options (parking sensors and cruise control) came to £50 less on the website (£245) than shown on his card with an October publishing date, hence a bit out of date. In short, I can't arrive at the figure he did and suspect that it's just a typo, as these things are prone to be and am intending to clarify this with him. Whichever way you look at it though, the old car is worth more than his initial offer.

This is especially true as I was originally interested in the SE, but changed my mind when I saw the enhanced look of the Premium, along with some of the other features that it comes as standard with.

Orange Wheels comes to £10,154, some £1,286 less than the web price. Not a bad saving. Note that this price includes the £250 Hyundai finance contribution, so must be taken off if paying cash.

I must admit though that doing the part ex through the main dealer even if it's more expensive (but not too expensive!) has its advantages in terms of convenience and peace of mind. I've always had excellent customer service from them and certainly don't fit into the Arthur Daley mould of dodgy car dealers.

For example, the car will arrive around April and I can keep my current one until then. Selling my old one separately is awkward as I'm likely to have a significant carless period. Dealers such as We Buy Any Car will obviously only honour this price if I sell the car to them now, not in 4 months time.

Again, I don't have any experience at this, so perhaps I'm missing a trick here?

I'm not interested in selling it privately on eBay or elsewhere and having strangers come to my house.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Go back to your desler with the orangewheels price and ask him to match it.
Orangewheels.co.uk put you in contact with a dealership close to you who are willing to sell at that price

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes indeed. ;) Thanks for your help.

This novice has learned something about buying and selling cars today. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
my local hyundai dealer uses the cap guide for prices. 12 plate classic 1.2 8.500 miles bought new one owner £4.295 up to £4550 for my car the same price as any other car dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts