Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am in desperate need of help and have no idea what to do, so I ended up asking on this forum. I would appreciate any help if possible and if anyone has any advice on what to do because I am at my wit's end and I really have no idea what to do.

I have a 07 Hyundai Tiburon V6 2.7L. I have never had any problems with the car and never encountered any issues. However, living in the province of Ontario, I must undergo mandatory emissions "Drive Clean" testing, in order to renew my license plate sticker.

I went for my test, approximately three weeks ago. I failed. I had no check engine light, nothing. I had failed due to my MIL being "On" and the DTC "P0501".

Three days ago, I went and got the P0501 code diagnosed, and fixed. They ended up replacing the front right wheel speed sensor as the resistance was too high. I used an OBD 2 scanner 5 hours after the original fix, and checked. The scanner said MIL was now "OFF" and there were 0 Error Codes. I was happy and just continued to drive for the next two days as the mechanic had told me I need to drive around highway and roads to ensure all the monitors ready up.

It is now Sunday. I have driven numerous kilometres with a mix of highway and road. I used the scanner to check. And now I am completely confused. I now have two new error codes: P0441 and P0650.

I am starting to get very stressed and confused. I only have 7 days to get my car passed and I don't understand how new codes have arisen, after they didn't show up on the initial Drive Clean Test results.

Moreover, to make it clearer to anyone with knowledge, when I insert my key in the ignition and all the car lights come up on the dash for a moment, my Check Engine Light never comes on. I have never seen it even flash for a second.

I really would appreciate some help. I lack absolutely all knowledge in every aspect of a vehicle's mechanical components. I thought that addressing P0501 would fix the issue. I thought it did. Now I see these two new error codes and don't know what to do. I will also indicate that all my monitors are ready except, O2 Sensor, EVAP and Catalyst. I just need to pass my emissions. My car runs absolutely fine and I have never had any issue or noticeable symptom when driving.

Do I go back to the shop and ask them to fix the new codes? Do I go for an emissions and when I don't pass, say that they didn't address the issue? I have no idea? How much would fixing these two codes cost?

I have attached pictures to see if any of this information would help but I have no idea what to do and what to fix and what it will cost and any help will be appreciated.

I have attached a picture of the first failed test, the current "ready test" on my scanner and then the codes. I also don't understand how one screen says I have one error code and another gives me two error code numbers.

Thank you for your time,

OBDHATER

Attachments

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Well, P0650 is a diagnostic trouble code for a non functioning check engine light (or malfunctioning indicator light)
Bulb or associated wiring broken. Most likely bulb on dash is out.
This is something that can happen anytime.

P0441 is an Evap emission code.
Re-seat gas cap and bang on dash with key in on position
Sometimes a loose gas cap can cause it
Sometimes a stuck purge valve (solenoid)
Sometimes the light will turn back on when banging the dash with the power to bulb turned on.

Cost of repairs depends on what is actually wrong (and who your mechanic is)

Good Luck

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
0650 -- does MIL illuminate at key on with engine off ??

0441 is common DTC with 2.7L,, replace purge valve

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,658 Posts
"Moreover, to make it clearer to anyone with knowledge, when I insert my key in the ignition and all the car lights come up on the dash for a moment, my Check Engine Light never comes on."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, P0650 is a diagnostic trouble code for a non functioning check engine light (or malfunctioning indicator light)
Bulb or associated wiring broken. Most likely bulb on dash is out.
This is something that can happen anytime.

P0441 is an Evap emission code.
Re-seat gas cap and bang on dash with key in on position
Sometimes a loose gas cap can cause it
Sometimes a stuck purge valve (solenoid)
Sometimes the light will turn back on when banging the dash with the power to bulb turned on.

Cost of repairs depends on what is actually wrong (and who your mechanic is)

Good Luck
I have purchased a bulb and will ask the mechanic to replace it, and will discuss the Evap Emission code with him. My main concern is this: Let's say I repair these issues, just like I did the P0501 and got a new right front wheel speed sensor... Are the chances of more codes popping up again possible? I am still confused as to how these codes didn't exist until after I repaired the first one, do you have any insight on why that could be?

I really appreciate your advice btw, thank you.
:smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Moreover, to make it clearer to anyone with knowledge, when I insert my key in the ignition and all the car lights come up on the dash for a moment, my Check Engine Light never comes on."
Aha, yup, he probably missed it in my rambling!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

0441 is common DTC with 2.7L,, replace purge valve
No, the MIL does not illuminate at key on with engine off. Moreover, this common purge valve replacement, is it a difficult and costly repair?

Thanks for the advice,

:smile:

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Purge valve is near the intake plenum
Usually nearer to just after the throttle
There is a hose going from intake plenum to purge valve, held there by clamps
The valve has an electrical connector
Another side going to another hose, held by clamps
Fairly easy to do .. if one knows what one is looking at

The MIL is a little more complicated due to it being in the dash
So many little things must be moved

Before asking anyone to do the work, you should price it
Ask the mechanic how much will it cost
And then ask them if it can be done (same work and parts) any cheaper
Negotiate a little. Try to get their best price.
I know most garages won't negotiate
But, worth a try if you can get it done for a few dollars less.
Make them try to get the best price for you.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts

Don't ya just hate these people that READ THE WHOLE POST? >:D

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
I bet he reads his Owner's Manual, too. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts