Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 santa fe 2.7l that died going to work last week. after it died I coasted back down the hill the car restarted I drove it the 2 miles home and shut it off. I was able to get it started by helping it along by jumping it with my truck. I let it run for about 30 mins and shut it off and now it wont start. when I turn the key it cranks but it is very slow almost sounds like its tight. I recharged the battery and still same thing. any ideas what it could be? also it has almost a rubber burning smell after trying to start it. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
How many miles on truck, is it up to date on maint like timing belt etc.

Battery should be load tested at Napa pep Boys, might be getting weak.

Car starters overheat easily , after 10 seconds of load, cool down period with key off for a few minutes is a good idea; IMO.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Battery going dead... DVOM is your friend,, test for chargine voltage.. old original alternator might giving up.. could be seizing, hence the burning belt smell... could be the guts overheating,, they smell nice too.

Alternator been changed in 2003 model yr, so best to get the new style alternator and matching belt..

Crank position sensor is a maintanance item anymore, have look there too to make sure it good shape,, has nothing to do with dead battery though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts