Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my 2012 Sonata, I was told I had a 5 year, 50K mile bumper to bumper warranty. However, when I bought my 2013 my salesman told me that the bumper to bumper warranty is really only 3 years or 36K miles. After three years they no longer cover electronics.
That doesn't really make sense to me since an electronic component will fail immediately or have a very long life. Also, can someone clarify what "electronics" means? Does it simply mean the radio or would it include the ECM, TCM and other controllers as well.
I am pretty annoyed that I was sold 5 years bumper to bumper but not really.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, your salesman was dead on the money.

The audio system and nav units are only warranted for 3yrs or 36K. After that you are on the hook to replace them.

Now for anything else electronic (the car's computer, gauge cluster, etc) that is covered by the 5yr/60K warranty.

The big question mark comes on the 10yr/100K warranty. Yes its for the entire powertrain, but it can get iffy on what is covered. For example, a leak on the engine is covered but not the alternator.

I could go into detail but hopefully this clears it up a bit. Read your warranty guide that came with the car, it has pretty specific details on what is covered by which warranty.

·
Banned
532 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, your salesman was dead on the money.
I could go into detail but hopefully this clears it up a bit. Read your warranty guide that came with the car, it has pretty specific details on what is covered by which warranty.
Another simple way the 10 year was explained to me: "Anything that Oil or Hydraulic fluid touches, washes or lubricates, was maintained in accordance to the schedule in manual and is not the result of abuse is covered"

You had a good explanation of the warranty (ies), though it's boring as heck and in a "book format" far to many people don't take the time to read then understand the details. At 55, and having purchased around 10 or 11 vehicles I've read each page in each vehicles owners manual portfolio, the only exception is the tire and battery warranties because you'll never "win" and you need a degree in math to figure out their depreciation schedule.

Do I grow weary of reading: how to buckle a seat belt, turning off a vanity mirror lamp, looking in all directions prior to backing out, keeping the windshield clean, the intricacies of the catalytic and exhaust system warranty or where the headrest is to be positioned? You best believe I do. We've had our SFS for 13 months, I've reviewed the manual a couple of times for cold/snow & ice and general information in the last month or so. We also have it on the laptop for that curiosity moment or for a quick answer to a forum question. I don't have a bad memory nor do we have a boring life, I think there's quite a few people in this forum with the same train of thought; it's a large investment, take care of it, maintain it and understand it so you know what your talking about when you need to be talking about it.

The only thing that really p-ssess me off about the manual is all of the the of warnings I have to read because California passed some silly, @#&*# law and the manufacturer HAS to print it. I think all manuals in the country would be 1/2 as thick if they took those ______ out.

I'll stick with RTM every time.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Another simple way the 10 year was explained to me: "Anything that Oil or Hydraulic fluid touches, washes or lubricates, was maintained in accordance to the schedule in manual and is not the result of abuse is covered"
In truth, it should be. However, the Service Advisers will come up with some interesting "interpretations" of it.

And yea, on the warnings, it really does suck how many there are due to CA being totally diff from the rest of the country.

Best way is for car manuals to go electronic. Equus had them on iPads in the glove box. I would vote they put them as a sub-section on the touchscreen radios. Granted, on the 2014 it would be small to read on the non-nav models...

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Every reply here has been golden. The term I have heard the most ( as far as powertrain ) is interally lubricated parts. Now that can get a bit tricky, but, for example, a torque converter in a tranny may be covered, but the shift linkage to the tranny is not covered.

>>It's kind of at 1 year/12k it's almost anything, including annoyances.
>>For 3 years/36k, it's just about everything, minus wear items and annoyances ( you may have to live with that squeeking sound or bad leather or pay for it. )
>>For 10 years/100k it's pretty much just the huge stuff. Things requiring rebuilds of the engine and transmission are covered. They'd have to open things to cover the part. So that alternator and starter don't count. Even things "inside" like spark plugs are not covered. It has to "get wet" to be covered under the 10y/100k

Now, there are several things out there for other vehicle parts, like emission controls, and other terms and conditions and parts. Here is what Hyundai actually does, by rule, but dealers may do "good will" warranty repairs for people, so YMMV.
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx#6

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts

You had a good explanation of the warranty (ies), though it's boring as heck and in a "book format" far to many people don't take the time to read then understand the details. At 55, and having purchased around 10 or 11 vehicles I've read each page in each vehicles owners manual portfolio, the only exception is the tire and battery warranties because you'll never "win" and you need a degree in math to figure out their depreciation schedule.

Do I grow weary of reading: how to buckle a seat belt, turning off a vanity mirror lamp, looking in all directions prior to backing out, keeping the windshield clean, the intricacies of the catalytic and exhaust system warranty or where the headrest is to be positioned? You best believe I do. We've had our SFS for 13 months, I've reviewed the manual a couple of times for cold/snow & ice and general information in the last month or so. We also have it on the laptop for that curiosity moment or for a quick answer to a forum question. I don't have a bad memory nor do we have a boring life, I think there's quite a few people in this forum with the same train of thought; it's a large investment, take care of it, maintain it and understand it so you know what your talking about when you need to be talking about it.

The only thing that really p-ssess me off about the manual is all of the the of warnings I have to read because California passed some silly, @#&*# law and the manufacturer HAS to print it. I think all manuals in the country would be 1/2 as thick if they took those ______ out.

I'll stick with RTM every time.
This forum needs a like button :thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
In truth, it should be. However, the Service Advisers will come up with some interesting "interpretations" of it.

And yea, on the warnings, it really does suck how many there are due to CA being totally diff from the rest of the country.

Best way is for car manuals to go electronic. Equus had them on iPads in the glove box. I would vote they put them as a sub-section on the touchscreen radios. Granted, on the 2014 it would be small to read on the non-nav models...
And thats my real beef. You have to deal with the dealer that the manufacturer doesn't really control. Then you have to get into a battle to get your car covered. Annoying and so far Hyundai has taken the cake in my years of ownership. Nissan had been the worst for me so far (but the car was in only three times in 10 years), but Hyundai has surpassed it. I have little patience for rhetoric and double talk.

I hate the warnings. They are annoying. I dont mind them so much in a manual but really hate them on my sun visor and having to accept "OK" every time I use my Nav. My company required me to write up four "safety observations". Complete crap because I work in an office park. Most of the stuff we were told to look out for and write up are common sense use your brain type stuff. Catering to the lowest denominator...sad really.

I would be really OK with an ability to download the manual off of a service site (like Ford) or a thumb drive with it on it. It would also be nice if we could get permanent copies of service manuals. I have one for all my cars (Sonata included) but notice that Hyundai has borked the customer by making it ridiculously expensive. I don't mind paying for that intellectual information..but 300 is a bit absurd.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks. That should help others that dont have access to it. I, however, have a full blown shop manual and ETM manual. Although quite honestly I have no idea how I acquired them. LOL!

I had them too. Another member posted up a link to dropbox, which had it posted. I had a hard drive crash and lost it about a year ago. Not that big of a deal for me as the posted one was for the 2.4, and I have a turbo. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome information everyone. Thank you for clearing things up. I have read my warranty and owners manual but still didn't understand. I probably skimmed it rather than really reading. I may be that lowest common denominator Bearcats mentioned. :eek:
Thanks again!

·
Registered
738 Posts
So is it safe to say to NOT buy the extended warranty because of what is or what is NOT covered ????

yeah i know it should be a personal decision but given all things equal what is the general consensus... to buy or not to buy , that is the question.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist that last line...... : )

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
So is it safe to say to NOT buy the extended warranty because of what is or what is NOT covered ????

yeah i know it should be a personal decision but given all things equal what is the general consensus... to buy or not to buy , that is the question.....

I decided against it because it seemed to be overpriced for what it covered. Also, after my experience with the dealer I bought the car from, I knew it would be lots of trouble getting them to cover anything.

The decision is always up to the buyer but I put that money on the down payment.

Also I work on my cars and I do not like dealer or shop "mechanics" touching my car (no offense sbr :D). Makes for more things to check and then fix afterwards.

·
Registered
301 Posts
In my view extended warranty is very tempting, not worry about repair cost for 10 years but the fact is they are in business of denying claims so I'd rather pay out of pocket than go through frustration related to getting dealer or HMA to approve a claim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts