Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my car about a month ago, 2011 SE 18k miles. Noticed while backing into our parking spot the steering had some play in it, not noticeable under speed, seems to only be noticeable while going slow or going over rough road. Was planning on taking it in since I still have plenty ove warrant left but I always like to kind of know what the issue could be.

Seems to be coming from the steering rack or driver side suspension. Anybody else had similar issues ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2012 with 63k kms. on it. Got is used with 54k and I already notice a faint knock while I hit some continuous road bumps/cracks as a very low speed. I lifted the car to check if there is a play on the tie rods but there is none. If I bring it in, dealer night say, "It is normal", so I will defer it at the moment. Car is under warranty till 140k.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea tie rods were my first thought too. Maybe sway bar issue as well. I'm gonna take it in tomorrow. I'll post the diagnosis

·
Registered
234 Posts
Google hyundai sonata "steering column recall", that might be it. It feels like some kind of knocking in the steering wheel at low speeds when hitting bumps and turning the wheel while backing-out. Dealer will fix it under warranty. HTH.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its the column making the noise. We've been replacing quite a few at work. Now the push button start columns are on back order. Not really a safety concern, just annoying.

·
Registered
749 Posts
column eh?

I vote steering rack. instead of shaking the tire side to side (in the air, as if you were checking for loose components), give a quick yet firm push on the back side of the tire. then give a quick but firm pull on the back side of the tire. could be excessive clearance between the rack and pinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been trying to trace down a low speed "knock" when hitting irregularities in the road surface for over a year now. Checked everything under the car, couldn't find anything loose.

I looked at the intermediate steering shaft after reading this thread and again, everything seems fine. All the factory marks on the bolts/universal are still aligned and I see nothing obviously wrong with the joints themselves. Can't move the shaft, no "play" in it. Anyone know what I should be looking for?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Mine just got picked up for the bad starter lever so I am going to have them replace my steering wheel inserts that are peeling and have them look at this too because I have been hearing a clicking sound while I turn at low speeds. Thanks for the info and I will let you all know when I hear back from the stealership. lol

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Its the column making the noise. We've been replacing quite a few at work. Now the push button start columns are on back order. Not really a safety concern, just annoying.
mine was changed, my car still does it, still feels like its coming from the steering column

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
had mine at the dealer this morning, said it was a part on the steering column, ordered the part. Said it will be here Tuesday. Hopefully that will stop the POS feeling in the wheel.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
My steering column rattles, but only when I drive down my gravel driveway, once I'm on the road I never hear it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's how mine is, has a lot of play and a knock when turning at low speeds. Just annoying more thn anything so might as well get it fixed while it's covered

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Play/Knock in Steering Wheel

Well, I had my car at the dealership today and they replaced my entire steering column. They originally were only going to replace the upper column but then decided to replace the whole thing. Don't know what changed their mind. Steering feels tighter and no noise going over low speed bumps anymore :) .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pick my car up in the morning, they got the parts in last week but I was out of town. I'll report back tomorrow

1 - 19 of 19 Posts