Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been covered, but after much consideration I finally blacked out that heinous bar across the front grill. I was very pleased with the results, so I figured I'd post a couple pics for anyone else who is considering doing the same, or just hates that grill bar as much as me. It only took me one try, in the dark, after work. The job isn't flawless, but it passes the 20ft test. I'm sure one could get it perfect if he/she so desires.

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks good. how many coats did you put?
Thanks! I did two coats about 15 min apart, then let it sit overnight. I cut and peeled the plasti dip from the emblem the next day around noon on my lunch break.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree, that's a great place to use the dip. I left a masked line across the bar to change things up. It's held up great for a year and a half.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, that's a great place to use the dip. I left a masked line across the bar to change things up. It's held up great for a year and a half.

That looks nice! Ironically, I had considered doing the same thing but I really couldn't visualize how it would turn out. Now I know the answer: well!

Also, I see that you've installed a strut tower brace. Did you notice a big reduction in body roll? I know that when I put a strut tower brace on my previous daily beater, a BMW 328i, the improvement in cornering was huge. Are there any other steering/handling mods that you'd recommend?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I see that you've installed a strut tower brace. Did you notice a big reduction in body roll?
Not really, but then I cheaped out and bought one that has the flexible links at each end (from sharkracing). Common opinion is that you should have completely solid bar for best results.

Other than some kind of lowered suspension and a good set of tires, I wouldn't suggest anything more exotic for handling. In general, I've found the tuning options for this platform aren't very satisfying.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not really, but then I cheaped out and bought one that has the flexible links at each end (from sharkracing). Common opinion is that you should have completely solid bar for best results.

Other than some kind of lowered suspension and a good set of tires, I wouldn't suggest anything more exotic for handling. In general, I've found the tuning options for this platform aren't very satisfying.
Good to know, I'll look into a fixed bar. I've kept the suspension bone stock since I bought it, but since the car is now approaching 70k (not bad for 3 yrs of use lol), maybe I'll just put some stiffer shocks on when they need to be replaced.

It's a shame about the modification options though, bc despite its body roll, it's a deceptively well balanced car. It's predictable in controlled power slides at 40mph, and amazingly (with the help of my masterful driving skills) it didn't rollover or hit any cars or center lane dividers when I put it sideways at 85mph after getting cutoff and tapped on a hot summer day on I95. It certainly was a smoke show though!! Lol. I still can't believe that my little accent was so capable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks better!
Thanks!! I'm pleased to report that after a few power washes and 3 Znew England snowstorms, the plastidip is holding up well! It looks just like new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm also going to post my sirius xm and speaker install. The difference in sound quality is astounding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts