Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my weekend! Plasti Dipped my Rims Emblems and front grille. ANy questions let me know! Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice work

I like what you did with the rims!. You tape off the exposed chrome parts?. Or did you just exacto blade the edges to keep it clean?.. I've been thinking of doing mine also but haven't got there yet..wife just wants me to stop spray painting the car.
Did the emblems and grille and went and blacked out the rear bumper reflectors today( much better) not too safe I imagine however I roll with my drl's on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like what you did with the rims!. You tape off the exposed chrome parts?. Or did you just exacto blade the edges to keep it clean?.. I've been thinking of doing mine also but haven't got there yet..wife just wants me to stop spray painting the car.
Did the emblems and grille and went and blacked out the rear bumper reflectors today( much better) not too safe I imagine however I roll with my drl's on.
Once you pull off the rims and tire off the car, the chrome inserts have two screws behind each one. I just unscrewed them then sprayed the rim and then placed them back on. Plasti dipping is fun because you can always change it.

·
22,793 Posts
Gotta hand it to you...those rims are spectacular. So is the rest, but this rims...awesome!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I really like the grill and emblems! I think they look REALLy good on the car. Wheels are a shade too dark for my taste, i think I'd prefer gunmetal over black but it looks REALLY well done!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great Job! I did my emblems and mirrors and seeing your grille made my mind up for me! I'm also thinking about doing that brushed aluminum trim under the windows as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey vxmoto23, I did the same with my GT but I'm still a newbie at this (fml >.<) and I couldn't get the plastidip out of the crevace around the outer part of the hyundai logo. I need some advice here DX

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey vxmoto23, I did the same with my GT but I'm still a newbie at this (fml >.<) and I couldn't get the plastidip out of the crevace around the outer part of the hyundai logo. I need some advice here DX
Hey mikekim26, as pyxen mentioned, you have to overspray whatever you're covering and then peel it off. For example, I made a box around the emblem with blue painters tape and used newspaper to cover a couple of feet around that to keep any residual spray from getting on the trunklid. Then spray the entire box with 4 to 5 coats and after it dries for about 45 minutes after the final coat, peel off the stuff you don't want. From what I understand, the molecular structure of the PlastiDip creates a "break" naturally when there's a physical break between pieces. Since there's a gap between the Hyundai logo and the metal of the trunklid, as you're peeling off the painters tape it should leave the PlastiDip on the logo but come off the paint of the trunklid. One thing that I have observed is that you don't want to wait TOO long or it sets a little harder.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Advantage of having those style rims then... I'm trying to figure out how to do mine similar style like that.. But I have stock 16" gls rims.. That's a lot of taping off..

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Somebody on here did the exact opposite, and only blacked out the chrome inserts. Both look real good. I don't care for the blacked out emblems, and would have probably left the center cap chrome H alone too, but they look good, unique, and you did a great job.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd really like to do my emblems, but want to remove them to paint them. Anyone one have any tips or pictures?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd really like to do my emblems, but want to remove them to paint them. Anyone one have any tips or pictures?
Are you looking to do them a different color then black? As its a lot more work do take them off, paint them and hope you have them nice and straight when put them back on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts