Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here ya go guys/gals I plasti-dipped my roof and rear chrome strip and flying H. Used about 3 1/2 cans of matte black, and a light coating of gloss. Probably threw down 6 coats (lol). First 2-3 coats were light, then started dusting it more then a little heavier. I used the rattle cans and a spray trigger, which I'm glad I got. Yes I know there would be a better turn out with the paint gun, but I don't have or want to get anytime soon. I am extremely happy with the turn out, yes there are some lines, but I like it lol. Looks cool.

I'm sure down the road, I will buy a paint gun and dip the entire car, it's pretty sweet looking! I love it
ImageUploadedByAG Free1380139324.096896.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1380139339.933535.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1380139374.755031.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1380139388.890376.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Allblackelantra yeah I need to get ahold of a gun, or someone that has one and get another coat on top, to even out and get rid of the lines. But overall I am happy with the turnout.
@Ricekake thanks! Dush

·
Registered
47 Posts
Definetly like the idea. Considered it my self. But I'm gonna do a vinyl. As for the striping it really doesn't look that bad. Good job bro. Love to see people who are willing to take chances plus great thing about plasti dip peel and throw away when tired of it ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Ryan thanks for the input, I'm on the fence regarding the lines (tiger stripes as someone called them lol) I'm happy with the outcome especially using the rattle cans and the trigger handle. That it the best part about it less than 40 bucks, and it's completely removable.. I think I'm gonna keep it on for awhile, since I like it, just may consider either spraying another coat side to side, try to get rid of the lines, or see if someone local with a gun can spray a coat on, there's a DYC authorized retailer "Live and Let Dip" like 10 minutes from my house, may see if he can throw a coat down with the spray gun, try to make it look better and cleaner.

·
Registered
592 Posts
@Allblackelantra yeah I need to get ahold of a gun, or someone that has one and get another coat on top, to even out and get rid of the lines. But overall I am happy with the turnout.
@Ricekake thanks! Dush
Dush? I didn't call you names. I guess I should have just been honest and said it looks like sh*t, you Dush.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol ricekake! Talking trash lol, pretty much saying it's trash lol... Whatever, it's all good, to each it's own

·
Registered
336 Posts
that banding is pretty rough.... you know they make larger spray nozzles for big area's and that you need to overlap horizontal and vertically. at least it cost that much to do, live and learn... good luck...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I know, I worked with what I had, yes I know they have dip nozzles but my guy didn't have any, just bought 3 cans and a can of gloss. I had like 2 half cans from previous projects. I thought of spraying in another direction, but I used all 4 1/2 cans on the roof and my rear. I'm gonna buy another can or 2 tomorrow (payday) and try spraying in the other direction (side to side) can't hurt. I'm a member one the DYC forum and someone else recommend I spray in a different direction also, what the heck, I'll give it a try. I don't have want to get or have the $ to get a paint gun. I'm thinking about having my buddy that did my tints, wrap my roof in a couple months...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I didn't mean to discourage you. if you read the dip forums you know that dipping requires the same attention to detail and prep work that painting does....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't mean to discourage you. if you read the dip forums you know that dipping requires the same attention to detail and prep work that painting does....
Yes I'm aware of that, everything was done right, it was because of the rattle cans I used I ended up with the lines down the rood. Bigger surfaces require a gun... That I don't have. I'm gonna try to do a coat in opposite direction this weekend. Try to get rid of the lines, not too worried about it thou, get what ya get, with what ya got to work with...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yes I'm aware of that, everything was done right, it was because of the rattle cans I used I ended up with the lines down the rood. Bigger surfaces require a gun... That I don't have. I'm gonna try to do a coat in opposite direction this weekend. Try to get rid of the lines, not too worried about it thou, get what ya get, with what ya got to work with...
If you like it, leave it... I personally like it!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you don't have the tools to complete a job, don't undertake said job. It will rarely come out completed correctly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you don't have the tools to complete a job, don't undertake said job. It will rarely come out completed correctly.
Thanks for compliments! Haha

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@weaver, I guess you haven't seen out cars with either a panoramic sunroof or a vinyl wrapped roof, that was the look I was going for, obviously it didn't turn out the way I was hoping, since I used rattle cans on large surface, since I don't own a paint gun. I will be having a DYC authorized dipper lay down another coat or two, just to get a better look and get rid of the lines. But that's the best thing about plastidip I can peal it right off, no problem once it drys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ended up just painting my roof all black.

I also am going to plastidip my car this weekend to a matte white. It's my first time doing a dip. I'm having a professional painter do the work before I try my hand in that area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts