Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

So I just bought a new cable USB A to USB C (Pixel 2 XL) from a company called Anker which is pretty known. I connected it to the car and it did charge the phone but however the car can't find the phone meaning that I can't play music just through USB cable which I could with an Iphone.

How come? Did I do anything wrong or so? Basically it does charge which is a + and also it works with BT (Bluetooth) fine aswell but what happened to connect just with USB using music etc etc...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This kind of issue is not uncommon. I've seen a lot of it on the Ioniq forum and heard many other vehicles with it. For whatever reason, Android Auto can be very picky about the cable used. While Anker is a well known brand, that does not necessarily mean it is a good quality cable with good inner shielding between wires or even good wire conductor quality. Experienced it when I went from a Galaxy S5 to S7. 2 cables that worked with my S5 did not work on my S7. Two things to try:

1) A shorter cable. I went from a 3' (worked with S5, not with S7) to a 1' cable. Works great. I made sure I bought a good quality cable as well. If you are in the USA, try the Insignia 1' cable at Best Buy (sorry, forum won't let me post a URL). That's what I went to. Quick and easy to pick up at a store and if it does not solve the problem, they'll take it back. Not cheap as USB cables go, but $13 is nothing on the expenses we toss into a car (or a new phone).

2) Try the manufacturers cable. In my case Samsung. The Samsung supplied 3' cable worked fine as well.

It's hard to tell what the quality of any cable will be. One can guess a cheap cable off ebay will be cheap and that's what I found on the ones that did not work for me. Beyond that, hard to tell. A first approximation can be the thickness as a cheap cable with poor insulation won't likely be thick. Manufacturers are not likely to artificially make their cables thicker so a thicker one will be so for a reason. Thus the phone manufacturer's cable is not necessarily guaranteed to be great quality, but it is more likely as they don't want the complaints for problems due to something as simple as the cable and a few cents more in the box. One would hope Google would supply a good quality cable with the Pixel 2 XL.

I'm an Electrical Engineer. To explain why this makes a difference on high frequency data communications is a longer discussion than we'd want on a forum. I've been surprised that USB and Android Auto are running at such frequencies, but it seems to be the case based on the failures and the fixes (#1 and #2 above). As noted, lots of discussion on the Ioniq forum on this and everyone finding the same results.

In the end, #1 above is your best bet. Shorter will reduce the affects of poor cable quality.

Let us know what you find when you experiment with it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
When you plug in your phone do you see a USB section in notifications when you swipe down from the top asking what the USB connection should do...Charge only, file transfer, or media?

Check for that...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This kind of issue is not uncommon. I've seen a lot of it on the Ioniq forum and heard many other vehicles with it. For whatever reason, Android Auto can be very picky about the cable used. While Anker is a well known brand, that does not necessarily mean it is a good quality cable with good inner shielding between wires or even good wire conductor quality. Experienced it when I went from a Galaxy S5 to S7. 2 cables that worked
with my S5 did not work on my S7. Two things to try:

1) A shorter cable. I went from a 3' (worked with S5, not with S7) to a 1' cable. Works great. I made sure I bought a good quality cable as well. If you are in the USA, try the Insignia 1' cable at Best Buy (sorry, forum won't let me post a URL). That's what I went to. Quick and easy to pick up at a store and if it does not solve the problem, they'll take it back. Not cheap as USB cables go, but $13 is nothing on the expenses we toss into a car (or a new phone).

2) Try the manufacturers cable. In my case Samsung. The Samsung supplied 3' cable worked fine as well.

It's hard to tell what the quality of any cable will be. One can guess a cheap cable off ebay will be cheap and that's what I found on the ones that did not work for me. Beyond that, hard to tell. A first approximation can be the thickness as a cheap cable with poor insulation won't likely be thick. Manufacturers are not likely to artificially make their cables thicker so a thicker one will be so for a reason. Thus the phone manufacturer's cable is not necessarily guaranteed to be great quality, but it is more likely as they don't want the complaints for problems due to something as simple as the cable and a few cents more in the box. One would hope Google would supply a good quality cable with the Pixel 2 XL.

I'm an Electrical Engineer. To explain why this makes a difference on high frequency data communications is a longer discussion than we'd want on a forum. I've been surprised that USB and Android Auto are running at such frequencies, but it seems to be the case based on the failures and the fixes (#1 and #2 above). As noted, lots of discussion on the Ioniq forum on this and everyone finding the same results.

In the end, #1 above is your best bet. Shorter will reduce the affects of poor cable quality.

Let us know what you find when you experiment with it.
When you plug in your phone do you see a USB section in notifications when you swipe down from the top asking what the USB connection should do...Charge only, file transfer, or media?

Check for that...

So I just tried two diffrent cables, One from Anker and one from Oneplus cable (Can't try Googles cable due to its USB C TO C) - however when I try Anker, Nothing happends whenever I insert the cable, Just charging.

Oneplus cable, something happened, I got few options where I could choose like charging, File transfer, Save mode on phone but whenever I tried to change it just automatic went back to Charging only which I dont know if its due to car OR the phone?

·
Registered
840 Posts
When you connect it, slide the notifications down and from USB options select the MTP file transfer option or maybe audio source

It you enable the developer options you can set the default action through there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you connect it, slide the notifications down and from USB options select the MTP file transfer option or maybe audio source

It you enable the developer options you can set the default action through there.

Oh! I see mine was on "charing" mode - I will try tomorrow and see how it turns out - Could you please show me which cable you are using so I know which one to buy?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Oh! I see mine was on "charing" mode - I will try tomorrow and see how it turns out - Could you please show me which cable you are using so I know which one to buy?
I would try any USB cable...I just use whatever. Right now it's some $5 10 ft USB-C cable I got (no name brand). I also tried with another no name Micro USB cable plus USB C adapter and that works as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would try any USB cable...I just use whatever. Right now it's some $5 10 ft USB-C cable I got (no name brand). I also tried with another no name Micro USB cable plus USB C adapter and that works as well.

Because I mean I am tired of buying and hoping it will work or not basically haha. But I will give it a go tomorrow and if it goes wrong. I will come back and see!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Okey so I used MTP and exact the same settings as you have and still it doesn't show me any Media :/ It does charge, settings are correctly at Transfer files and MTP - and nothing :/...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Do you have the 8" display with Android Auto or the smaller one without it? I only use Android Auto and USB with any cable works fine. With that said I don't have any MP3 files on my phone. When I plug it in, Android Auto launches right away.

It's possible that USB port in the car simply doesn't support the Android connection and file structure. Just as a test I put an MP3 on my phone and removed Android Auto. Plugged it in and it would say no media. So then I reinstalled Android Auto plugged it in and it started right up.

So I wouldn't buy any new cables as that is 99.9% not the issue since the same cable which works fine for AA wouldn't work for media on phone.

You can always play music through Bluetooth on your phone or use a USB flash drive but otherwise I really think that it doesn't know what to do or look for on Android and only works with Apple ITunes based devices like iPods

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have the 8" display with Android Auto or the smaller one without it? I only use Android Auto and USB with any cable works fine. With that said I don't have any MP3 files on my phone. When I plug it in, Android Auto launches right away.

It's possible that USB port in the car simply doesn't support the Android connection and file structure. Just as a test I put an MP3 on my phone and removed Android Auto. Plugged it in and it would say no media. So then I reinstalled Android Auto plugged it in and it started right up.

So I wouldn't buy any new cables as that is 99.9% not the issue since the same cable which works fine for AA wouldn't work for media on phone.

You can always play music through Bluetooth on your phone or use a USB flash drive but otherwise I really think that it doesn't know what to do or look for on Android and only works with Apple ITunes based devices like iPods

Oh well. I dont have the Android Auto since its not available for us in EU :( Really sad but I mean it worked fine with Apple but not Android ;'(

·
Registered
840 Posts
Oh well. I dont have the Android Auto since its not available for us in EU :( Really sad but I mean it worked fine with Apple but not Android ;'(
That kind of makes sense since from what I understand it has support for iPods so it knows what to do with those and iPhone is essentially an iPod as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.