Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten Android Auto to work once in the 4 months I have my owned my 2018 Sonata SEL. I have tried USB debugging, buying Google approved cables, and uninstalling/reinstalling with no success. Phone and its apps are fully updated. It will not even recognize a phone is plugged in, it will not charge or start Android Auto.

Does anyone out there have this combination that has worked and if so, anything specifically I need to try?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a '15 Sonata Ultimate. After updating my head unit via SD card to the newest maps using a Google Play purchased USB-A to USB-C it finally works. However Android Auto App still crashes on the phone. Usually 15-30 minutes but the duration increases with each AA update.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Looking at the AndroidAuto subreddit, it seems that the Pixel 2 is inherently problematic with Android Auto. You might wanna ask around over there.

On a slightly related note, I have a Moto G5 Plus and Android Auto is working very well for this particular phone.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a 2015 and a Pixel 2 with Android P. AA works fine for me. At one point since owning the Pixel 2, I had to turn on USB debugging after one of the security updates, in order for things to work. But it has been fine since upgrading to Android P. I don't know if my cable is Google approved or not.

Since it won't even charge or anything you seem to have a complete breakdown in the communication.

Does your car recognize a USB stick/flash drive if you plug one of those in? Trying to isolate the problem here to a faulty port on the car and/or faulty head unit not communicating with the port, or is it the phone thats the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, running Android P, pretty much bone stock phone. I'll try some other USB devices in the car to see if the problem lies with my USB port or my device.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try charging the phone a few times with the original charger. I had a cheap external battery that I tried charging my pixel with and the phone USB port didn't like it and went into a protection mode. It wouldn't transfer data at all, even with my computer. I even tried factory resetting my phone. Came across the issue on a forum and someone mentioned the USB firmware going into protection mode. Plugged in the charger that came with the phone a few times, and eventually it started to work on my computer. After that it worked with Android auto again. Hopefully this works for you as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I know may seems a bit rude but... Did you download Android auto? I've noticed many people compare it to carplay, which is baked into iOS, only to find out it's an actual app they have to download from the play store. Mine works perfectly with a Google approved usb-c to usb-a. I also bought a tiny usb-a to usb-c converter do I could use the OEM cable. Most of the time when it crashes on your phone, it's due to using a bad cable. It tries to continue streaming the data but then...stops. I can recommend a couple products that I've had no issue with from Amazon if you'd like :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, downloaded AA, uninstalled, re downloaded etc.

Tried plugging my phone into other devices and it does not work. It charges unlike in the Sonata, but it looks like the issue lies with the phone. It's been an incredibly unreliable phone in many areas, so I guess this is just one more thing.

I may try the charging with the original charger method... we'll see how that works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts