Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had my 11 Limited 1.8L in for the clock spring recall. Multipoint was fine.

Now, wife tells me of a ping type metal sound when she shifts between P/R/D as well as when she starts to roll and quite frequently when she comes to a stop at a light.

I just took it for a quick test drive and verified what she was hearing... Any ideas or suggestions on what to look into or?? Could it just be low on fluid? I'm good with engines but not tranny issues.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rusted heat shield where one side of the shield rusted away and dropped or fell on a part that moves or vibrates when shifting ??
I will look into that here this afternoon. Perhaps it is something as simple as this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So... I took a look for the cause of the initial ping type noise. Rocked the car forward and back which got me the sound my wife was hearing. Sounds louder under center of car in rear engine area.

Went to run an errand a few hours later... Put the car in R. As soon as I start rolling, a new loud sound starts coming from both front corners. Only occurs when in D/R. Not there in N. Did I muck up the tranny somehow?

Try this:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1dUYydsR8XEkvJaII-LhCwj6ribugjlrI

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be CV joint failing in one of two front axles.
I put her up on stands. Checked the boots, looked like new. Felt every bit of linkage behind each corner. Nothing apparent.

Noise didn't happen when in stands of course. Dropped her down. Went for drive. Sound was loud for a mile or too, then seemed to maybe get a bit quieter. Did bring to light a break issue. Sounds like a sticky front caliper. Going to check tomorrow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My car 2012 Elantra Touring GLS has almost the same issue. I heard the noise when the wheels started to roll and stopped few months ago. Right now I can hear the noise often during low speed running. Maybe too much other noise from engine and wheels for high speed so I couldn't hear that. I guess it is from sticking caliper before. I guess it is from suspension right now because I can hear the almost same noise during I was lifting the car. It is from front passenger side.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not yet. I can't reach the sway bar link if I don't remove the wheel. Last weekend was too hot. I will remove my wheel and check it later. I can hear the noise when I shake my car on the seat or from outside.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Just had my 11 Limited 1.8L in for the clock spring recall. Multipoint was fine.

Now, wife tells me of a ping type metal sound when she shifts between P/R/D as well as when she starts to roll and quite frequently when she comes to a stop at a light.

I just took it for a quick test drive and verified what she was hearing... Any ideas or suggestions on what to look into or?? Could it just be low on fluid? I'm good with engines but not tranny issues.

Can you narrow down where the noise is coming from?
Try listening while your wife shifts and see if you can't hear where it's coming from.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For mine, it doesn't seem that noise came from Sway bar link. And absolutely not from brake caliper because I can still hear rattle noise after I removed caliper. It is possible from CV joint. I lift up and turn the wheels a little bit, I can hear. I can hear rattle both side of front wheels. But I still don't know exactly which part, because CV joint is too long. I am going to garage to check it later. Hard for me to work on CV joint.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Sway bar / stabilizer link noise is common on the Elantra, but is most noticeable when rolling over slow bumps.

Pinging, clicking or clunking when shifting into gear can be a loose exhaust mount or axle freeplay. Hyundai has occasionally prescribed adding a washer to the axle of various models.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts