Hyundai Forums banner
881 - 900 of 903 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is my 2016 Hyundai Sonata Se I’ve had it for about 2 years and finally upgraded the wheels to 2021 sonata SEL plus wheels and they look GREAT, much better than the 16” these are 18” 235/45/18.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess it's time to add mine to the mix.. 2015 Sport 2.4L with Tech and Premium packages.. So far, no mods done, though it will be getting tinted soon. Will also be doing some spot color in the engine bay and possibly rim changes... threw a shot of the dash in there too, since I thought the picture was pretty cool, haha.

I just realized that I have absolutely 0 shots of the car from the passenger side... oops...
I’d imagine the passenger side is similar if not exactly the same? Also, if you’re wondering, it did not take this long to come up with a wise-ass reply.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.4
7 Posts
2018 Sonata Sport+ 2.4 w/ Tech Package

AEM Dryflow Cold Air Intake

35W 6000K Kensun HID low beams + 6000K Kensun Cree LED high beams (had to dim the camera brightness, they're bright white in person, not blue)

Kicker CS Series 6-3/4" in all four doors

Powerstop Evolution drilled & slotted rotors with Adaptive One ceramic pads

Still very much a work in progress. I just bought the car about three months ago with 50K miles on the dash. Next step is a set of Michelin Primacy HP's, in the next week or so. After that, I'm not entirely sure. I do know that I absolutely love this car. And I honestly never thought I'd be able to say that I'm completely OK my 2019 Altima SR lost a fight with a F150 four months ago. Cause I'd take the Sonata any day of the week.

Had to edit to fix a few typos.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
2018 Sonata Sport+ 2.4 w/ Tech Package

View attachment 458771

AEM Dryflow Cold Air Intake
View attachment 458772
View attachment 458773

35W 6000K Kensun HID low beams + 6000K Kensun Cree LED high beams (had to dim the camera brightness, they're bright white in person, not blue)
View attachment 458774

Kicker CS Series 6-3/4" in all four doors
View attachment 458775

Powerstop Evolution drilled & slotted rotors with Adaptive One ceramic pads
View attachment 458776

Still very much a work in progress. I just bought the car about three months ago with 50K miles on the dash. Next step is a set of Michelin Primacy HP's, in the next week or so. After that, I'm not entirely sure. I do know that I absolutely love this car. And I honestly never thought I'd be able to say that I'm completely OK my 2019 Altima SR lost a fight with a F150 four months ago. Cause I'd take the Sonata any day of the week.

Had to edit to fix a few typos.
Do you notice or are there definite increases from the air intake upgrade? I’ve always wondered why such a seemly simple and low cost upgrade isn’t done more by “weekend driveway mechanics” (myself included) I could never get passed thinking the intake would be pulling in so much hot air from the close proximity to the motor that it’s almost a trade off and back to factory stats.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you notice or are there definite increases from the air intake upgrade? I’ve always wondered why such a seemly simple and low cost upgrade isn’t done more by “weekend driveway mechanics” (myself included) I could never get passed thinking the intake would be pulling in so much hot air from the close proximity to the motor that it’s almost a trade off and back to factory stats.
it is a thing of the past. the gains from going to an aftermarket intake are so minimal these days that is not even worth it. better to buy a new clean air filter. or just the drop in filter. now on the old days the OEM intakes where so much more restrictive and small and the actual intake manifold where so inefficient that when you put an aftermarket one it made night and day difference.

the only exception to the rule is if you have force induction or are adding force induction..

·
Registered
7 Posts
We
it is a thing of the past. the gains from going to an aftermarket intake are so minimal these days that is not even worth it. better to buy a new clean air filter. or just the drop in filter. now on the old days the OEM intakes where so much more restrictive and small and the actual intake manifold where so inefficient that when you put an aftermarket one it made night and day difference.

the only exception to the rule is if you have force induction or are adding force induction..
Well I could definitely tell a difference. Especially right off the line. There's hardly any lag anymore. It makes the most difference in lower end acceleration. AEM includes a dyno chart comparing before and after. At minimum, they guarantee an increase of at least 5 horsepower. With around 10 lbs of torque. It's not a whole lot, but then again it's not a major upgrade. Even if there wasn't any performance gain, I'd probably still do it cause nothing sounds better than a cold air intake. In my opinion. Plus it increases gas mileage. So far it's given my Sonata a 3 MPG increase. And still rising. And it's not just the factory breather box is restrictive, it's that the aftermarket filter has more surface area than the stock filter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We

Well I could definitely tell a difference. Especially right off the line. There's hardly any lag anymore. It makes the most difference in lower end acceleration. AEM includes a dyno chart comparing before and after. At minimum, they guarantee an increase of at least 5 horsepower. With around 10 lbs of torque. It's not a whole lot, but then again it's not a major upgrade. Even if there wasn't any performance gain, I'd probably still do it cause nothing sounds better than a cold air intake. In my opinion. Plus it increases gas mileage. So far it's given my Sonata a 3 MPG increase. And still rising. And it's not just the factory breather box is restrictive, it's that the aftermarket filter has more surface area than the stock filter.
i would never thrust a performance sheet given by the company selling me the item. they may have bench test the engine in a higher HP giving Dyno. whatever number they can show to sell the product they will put in the box.
but you are not wrong about feeling a difference, getting more MPGs and sounding better. the intake may have shifted the Torque curve down the RPM range so you feel the power down at 2k instead of 3.5k.. you move that torque down and you need less RPM to reach same speed meaning less fuel used and you are removing the resonator box from the intake and it would give you the complete induction noise that manufacturer don't want the gramps buying the car to hear.

Enjoy your mod CptJcup. i never tryed to bring it down i was just replying to a question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you look at the picture, the filter is actually housed in a heatshield. And still draws most of its air from the factory inlet. There's an opening in the heatshield for it. And yes, I could definitely tell a difference. As long as you're not expecting 20-30 HP, you won't be disappointed. Like the other guy said, the only way to really drastically increase your horsepower is either turbo or supercharger. I replied to your post yesterday, but it got stuck pending moderator approval. I guess cause I tried to link something.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't been on the forum in a while. So I thought I would update my profile.
This is my 2017 sonata sport.
I got her 2 years ago with 18k miles on it and now she has 70k miles on her.
This is a before and after pics of her.
She's now riding on 2019 Genesis G70 wheels with 225/45/18 michellin primacy m4mx that I got on a really good deal from a guy locally that sold his Genesis G70 with aftermarket rims and had these wheels in his garage collecting dust.
They were taken of the car with 100miles of the car and replaced with the aftermarket rims.
So I got really lucky.
What do you guys think about the set up?

·
Registered
33 Posts
She's now riding on 2019 Genesis G70 wheels with 225/45/18 michellin primacy m4mx that I got on a really good deal from a guy locally that sold his Genesis G70 with aftermarket rims and had these wheels in his garage collecting dust.
They were taken of the car with 100miles of the car and replaced with the aftermarket rims.
So I got really lucky.

View attachment 459107
View attachment 459106
Losing the egret was a good move.

·
Premium Member
'21 Limited, "18 Limited, "15 Limited
511 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I got really lucky.

View attachment 459107
View attachment 459106
Tell me those are Genesis wheels on, I assume, a 2014 Sonata? Nicely done!
So I got really lucky.

View attachment 459107
View attachment 459106
Tell me those are Genesis wheels on, I’m guessing, a 2016 Sonata? Nicely done. Side skirts look aftermarket as well. Maybe I should have read the description 🤷‍♂️

881 - 900 of 903 Posts