Hyundai Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else compared these two. I really wanted to like the Sonata but was not as impressed after test drive. Sonata was very very doggy when pulling away from a stop until you got up to about 15mph then lit up but the “jet lag” to get there was major. Also found AC to be lacking and cooled no where as good even with driving with enough air and time to cool it down.

Impala was better in these categories (3.5l) plus road smoother and quieter to boot. No rocket ship to be sure but much better with no jet lag of a 4cyl. even though the Sonata’s 0-60 is better than the 3.5 imp.

Love the style and warranty but could not pull the trigger. Chev having 4K rebates on base model and 5K on upscale models.

Regards,

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Fallguy @ Aug 5 2010, 04:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347388
Anyone else compared these two. I really wanted to like the Sonata but was not as impressed after test drive. Sonata was very very doggy when pulling away from a stop until you got up to about 15mph then lit up but the “jet lag” to get there was major. Also found AC to be lacking and cooled no where as good even with driving with enough air and time to cool it down.

Impala was better in these categories (3.5l) plus road smoother and quieter to boot. No rocket ship to be sure but much better with no jet lag of a 4cyl. even though the Sonata’s 0-60 is better than the 3.5 imp.

Love the style and warranty but could not pull the trigger. Chev having 4K rebates on base model and 5K on upscale models.

Regards,
After driving an impala company car for six months. AINT NO WAY. Not even in the same league. Horrible gas mileage, pseudo power (its really not there). Horrible fit and finish. I can list other things but they are of a personal preference. However you will get great cash rebates for the Chevy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Aug 5 2010, 04:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347394
After driving an impala company car for six months. AINT NO WAY. Not even in the same league. Horrible gas mileage, pseudo power (its really not there). Horrible fit and finish. I can list other things but they are of a personal preference. However you will get great cash rebates for the Chevy.
Understand, glad to here from someone who has drove more of both. Am however getting great mpg on the hwy for a midsize-large 34mpg at 65mph.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think wife's Malibu has the same 3.5L v6. Push rods, right? Not exactly what I would call a modern engine. It has good low rpm torque but not smooth as most 4's let alone other V6's. Let us know you like it after driving it after 6 months.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Both the Impala and the Sonata are very similar, both have an engine, wheels and tires amongst other common parts but that is where the similarity ends. Trying to compare the two just doesn't work. Now if you had mentioned the LaCrosse or something not 10 years old as is the chevy then we could compare. But as long as you're happy that's great.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I can see this topic going downhill very quickly. Sonata folks...Fallguy may have like the Impala over the Sonata but that does not make him a bad person or give you the right to attack him. To each his own.

Keep this topic civil and I'll keep it open. Thank you.

·
Registered
550 Posts
What makes GM stronger makes our government stronger. My friend owns an SS Impala (5.3 liter V8). For the money, that is one FAST sedan!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I work for a Chevy dealership and drive the Impalas on a daily basis. I've gotta agree with Bearcats on this one. Although you may be getting great gas mileage now, don't expect it to last. I hear it from owners frequently how within a few months of purchase their mileage bottoms out. Hopefully you won't be one of those cases. All I can say is that at the end of the work day I get into my Sonata and it's like a breath of fresh air. Enjoy your purchase...

·
Banned
630 Posts
glad you are happy with your bland POS GM product.

now, why are you still here?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Aug 6 2010, 07:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347537
glad you are happy with your bland POS GM product.

now, why are you still here?
Still here because I like the exchange of information and acquisition of knowledge from multiple points of view. I understand a new vehicle is a major decision for most people. Never thought I would consider a Sonata and did fall in love with its looks and indeed many of its features. I think Hyundai is on the way to being a stellar company. Impala is not a superior vehicle in my opinion just stating what led me that way, in addition to the 4K rebates. Its America hope you keep posting and best of luck to you.

·
Registered
854 Posts
lol I don't see the purpose of this thread besides op asking to get owned.

I drive impalas almost all the time through work, the car is terrible to drive, steering is all over the place (like most american cars), the engine is terrible too. The interior looks like a 1980 gm car. Goodluck though!

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Fallguy @ Aug 6 2010, 10:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347544
Still here because I like the exchange of information and acquisition of knowledge from multiple points of view. I understand a new vehicle is a major decision for most people. Never thought I would consider a Sonata and did fall in love with its looks and indeed many of its features. I think Hyundai is on the way to being a stellar company. Impala is not a superior vehicle in my opinion just stating what led me that way, in addition to the 4K rebates. Its America hope you keep posting and best of luck to you.
http://www.impalaforums.com/ is your friend

·
Registered
486 Posts
>>>> What makes GM stronger makes our government stronger >>>>>......... You are kidding right.
>>>>in addition to the 4K rebates>>>>>>

$ 4 K rebates, Where do think that money is coming from , ( RIGHT out the tax payers pocket ), Just like the GM VOLT CAR, Tax payers subsidize GM then again pay with with an energy tax rebate. Total BS, nothing else.

·
Registered
670 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Aug 6 2010, 03:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347508
I can see this topic going downhill very quickly.
OMG... I think you're physic. Do you happen to know tonights LOTTO numbers?
Hey Fallguy, You were gonna be one of us. :puzzled: I wish you no harm and nothing but good luck on your new ride. You were posting for a while here maybe you'll stick around. Who knows...crazier things have happened. :57:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Congrats on buying a ugly GM product. I won't be fooled by your 34 mprg at 65 **** either. Post pictures with real world numbers and tell me you get 34 mpg with a gm product. GM is know for there false mpg ratings and it shows. Rebates are for cars that aren't moving and need to get off the lots. You drove off the lot thinking you got a great deal now try and sell that piece of GM crap and see what happens. Heck you could have gotten a 2010 Sonata V6 with $10k off in rebates? Why not that car?

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
this thread has now run its course, l can't see that there is anything more positive that anyone can add to it........................thread closed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.