Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone noticed that in photos, at certain angles, it looks like body panel colors don't match? I can look right at my two doors, and they look exactly the same, same with my hood and front bumper, but in some photos, one looks quite darker than the other.

I noticed this on my Limited Sedan as well, but can only see a difference in photos, vs no difference with my eyes. Maybe it's my particular color, Titanium Gray Metallic, which both cars are the same. Maybe the body panels are not exactly parallel so they catch the light differently. Not seeing this on the other GT, in Volcanic red.

Here's a random dealer ad. If you click through the photos it's obvious in 1,2,4 and 6 on that car. 6 looks like it's 3 different shades.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT - Marion, IL, Cape Girardeau, MO & Paducah, KY

Here's my car

It only looks like this in photo's!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. As I mentioned, I can't see it with my eyes?? Maybe a brain trick. Others in that thread seem to be able to clearly see it, and it's obvious in Alex's case. Mine isn't any where that bad, in the photos, and I can't see it at all other than in those pix. Very odd.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The bumpers often seem a little off from the rest of the car - I think they might be painted separately, possibly with a different paint formulation. The metallic may have a bit of a grain that is very dependent on the angle of light. Gray seems to be the worst - you notice tiny variations in a light color that would be invisible in a dark color.

Each has their own tolerance for this sort of thing. Personally speaking, in a $18K car, I don't have expectations of perfect paint. Life is awfully short to be expending worry about something like this.

- Mark

·
Registered
217 Posts
I feel your pain. I even took it to the deal and said to fix it. They took pic's and sent it to Hyundai Canada. If they see a problem they would then fix it. Nothing.

When i got my front end fixed, due to my wifes small fender bender. They repainted the front. There is 0 problem with the color on the front. Only the back remains.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you can't notice in real life, it's not a problem. If you notice it with your eyes, then it's a problem.

N5S, you hit the nail in the coffin, when you said it may depend on angles and lighting. Cars have all sorts of angles on them, and are not even in dimensions. Unless lighting is even across the whole car, you may see darker, and lighter areas.

·
22,793 Posts
This isn't the first time this topic has surfaced on here. I seem to recall that it occurred on vehicles that were painted at the Korean facility. But unlike the above link, I seem to recall that issue being around 2012 when I still owned my 2011 USA build.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello

I remember long time ago when the plastic bumpers were just coming out. If you painted them with the same paint as the rest of the car, the paint would crack on the bumpers given time. To overcome this there was an additive to the paint (flex additive) like the name says, it made the paint able to expand, contract and flex a bit when u pushed it. The only drawback was on the colour, it looked a bit flat. Just a thought here.

·
22,793 Posts
You remember well. Flex, it was! Exactly correct!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After Echo got her bath this morning, I went and took a series of images, that show me a LARGE part of the photo color differences are light, shadow, reflection and angle. Not all, I'm sure, but the actual visual color differences in my case are very subtle, but photographically are highly subject to the 4 factors I mentioned.

Here's a couple of of new shots, showing very little, to no color differences, depending on angle, etc, and some comparisons at those same or similar angles for comparison.

Nice overall consistent color.

Compare to this one. Look at the doors. It's like the back half of the car is a lighter shade.

Another. Look at where hood and fender meet bumper.

Compare to this angle.

and here's are a bunch of other shots that show a pretty consistent color throughout. I make two things out of this.
One, lighting, angle etc are a major factor in this "illusion"
Two, I have a fine looking car! :D
I'm going to stop looking at this now, enjoy my girl, and put the matter to bed.:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
My car is that color and Ive noticed it too.
I can see it with my eyes, but I'm happy with the explanation the guy gave about the bumpers above.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 2010 Mazda3 GT it is almost the same color as yours, Mazda calls it Aluminum Metallic Mica. I have the same issue if you want to call it that. It is basically an optical illusion based on how the light is reflecting off the paint and the angle you are viewing it at. I can look at my car from one angle and everything matches perfectly, from another angle it looks mismatched.

I can guarantee that you can repaint the car until **** freezes over and you won't change anything. Just accept it.

Pat.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to disagree that it's all illusion. I've been walking circles around similar and exact vehicles as I come across them in parking lots. I did a 360 under the "bad" lighting on another titanium gray GT 2 days ago, and it had none of these problems. I've looked at cars with similar grays, like the Charger, and Fusion and not seen it. I know there is a flop illusion that is a factor, but I also know that this is just plain bad paint color matching. Anyway, I have options now.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/269-gd-2013-elantra-gt/239233-now-later.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts