Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!!
I've been MIA, i know, i know, everyone has been looking for me... :p (not)

ok, well I've been busy and thought I would post a picture about why and a sneak peak although I'm sure the subject line gave it away...

I drive my car for about 2.5 hours a day average. Morning/Evening Commute. I listen to podcasts the whole way, the Radio doesn't provide much good listening these days.

and so the story goes. I've been wanting a phone holder, but not the style that mounts on the windshield and everything else online doesn't seem to do it for me... I am Mechanical Engineer by education and I know how to 3D model, so I thought, hey... why not make something myself!?

So i finalized this portion of the design last night and 3D printed it this morning at work. We have a Makerbot here. So I plan on making the actual phone holder for my phone (Samsung Infuse) and the Iphone since the Iphone is such a popular phone. I'll probably have everything all done by the weekend and posted on thingaverse.

Here's a little explanation of what it is and where it goes, etc.
The unit clamps onto the console tray door right in front of the gear shift. it holds on pretty tight, its on my car now, and doesn't seem to scratch it or anything. I am still planning on refining it to use O-rings as spacers so it doesn't scratch at all, but this works for now. the phone would be held in landscape mode below the HVAC controls, or in portrait mode just to the right of the controls. I plan on making two holders for it.

if you don't have a makerbot handy, I've heard that some UPS stores in the states have 3D printers for public use. you just take your file in, print, and pay per weight of material used. It should be pretty cheap.

either way, let me know what you all think about this endevour. Its not final, so I can still tweak it if someone has some advice.

Heres a picture of the phone holder in place. (still have to make the portion that holds the phone)

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd be all over this if there was one in Samsung Galaxy S4 size. :p VERY cool DIY project. This forum would be the last place I'd expect to see 3D printing being utilized. Can't wait to see the end result! + rep

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be all over this if there was one in Samsung Galaxy S4 size. :p VERY cool DIY project. This forum would be the last place I'd expect to see 3D printing being utilized. Can't wait to see the end result! + rep
no worries. I'll add that to my list.
Thankfully I work in R&D and everyone has the most popular phones around from the Samsung Infuse 4G to the S3, S4, Nexus 4, IPhone 4 & 5. So I can test up the fittup before finalizing the components.

So after I do my phone, I'll do the S4 ;)

but mind you, the issue with the position is that it may get in the way of shifting. I have an automatic transmission, so it would only be in the way when in Park, which when I'm in that gear I generally dont need my phone docked hahaha

bring it on!

·
22,793 Posts
If this turns out 1/2 as great as some other projects you've done, it'll be exciting to see. I think you're onto something spectacular, IMO.

You may have found your ticket to financial freedom. At least independence...done on a larger scale! Time to get the Marketing and Patent people involved!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this turns out 1/2 as great as some other projects you've done, it'll be exciting to see. I think you're onto something spectacular, IMO.

You may have found your ticket to financial freedom. At least independence...done on a larger scale! Time to get the Marketing and Patent people involved!
thanks Rich! i'm hoping to get it done tonight, made a lot of headway last night. with 20-30 mins to myself a night, i cant commit a lot of time to this these days because of the wife/baby/etc. but baby steps will eventually get me to the end.

and as for the final solution being patented. that would be awesome if it did in fact prove to be financially feasible. but for some reason, I doubt that. haha

·
22,793 Posts
Well, you can always do a "Poor Man's" patent. Place the idea and designs into an envelope and mail them to yourself. Never open it unless it becomes necessary to prove your design's originality. The postmark on the envelope is the item creation date. Unsealed in the envelope is its security.

Then, go out and shop your concept. Find a mfg. that will buy your idea.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, you can always do a "Poor Man's" patent. Place the idea and designs into an envelope and mail them to yourself. Never open it unless it becomes necessary to prove your design's originality. The postmark on the envelope is the item creation date. Unsealed in the envelope is its security.

Then, go out and shop your concept. Find a mfg. that will buy your idea.
That's not a bad idea. I knew about this trick, just keep forgetting about it.

now i just need to find the vendors that would buy it. :)

·
22,793 Posts
That's not a bad idea. I knew about this trick, just keep forgetting about it.

now i just need to find the vendors that would buy it. :)
Of course, I get one gratis for presenting the idea, yes? :wink2:

·
Banned
532 Posts
Well, you can always do a "Poor Man's" patent. Place the idea and designs into an envelope and mail them to yourself.
You can also place a notarized affidavit along with an As Built in an envelope, go up to the post office and ask them to straddle the postmark over the glued flap and envelope itself in two places.

Or do I hear SHARK TANK .......... :eek:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm soooooo doing this

List your phones and I'll prep the parts :thumbup:

So far my list is:
1) Samsung infuses
2) IPhone 4
3) Samsung s4
4) IPhone 5

Next?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
952 Posts
Samsung S4 Active. But its close enough to the Samsung S4.

And can we get pics of it with holding phone.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Verizon HTC DNA!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 44 Posts