Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
@m40dotcom
-- I wish there was a way to download data off the car. Is there? I haven't tackled the manual far enough to figure out a way to do it.

OK and here's the big question -- So when you pull up the screen that gives you an ECO Driving score...how is that calculated? I can't ever seem to get up to 7! :^)
If you're aiming to download data from it, you're even nerding out even more than I hope too. Never thought of that one as not sure I needed my eco rating and single trip data from a month ago, but it may still be in the car as I don't know how long it keeps it available in the history tab. I mean even if it can't download data right now, you'd think that could be doable via a later firmware update or even something that interfaces with BlueLink App to 'Send Email of Logs' or whatever.

Regarding the ECO score. Not sure I've seen what algorithm type fun they must use to get it, and I think I may have maxed out at a 6. But that being said, it is just about the worst conditions for it right now as it hasn't been warmer than 30s here, and 19 right now so just using the ICE for cabin heat will probably hurt the score regardless of driving. Even worse for short trips as it's running most the time to hit 68 and then i'm at destination vs longer ones where it can turn off an go full EV longer, which should improve score of course.

I'd sure thing that if I were to drive in the spring with no cabin heat/AC and stay in the eco range, it sure should max out for that score. But who knows, and you maybe have to go to South Korea to find out technically how it's calculated. If you get a max score (8 i believe) it'll be like beating Pac Man or Super Mario for the first time. Ha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1) I love the fact that it has 6 gigs of in-car storage called "My Music", but the interface for loading songs is terrible. One song at a time. Can't select a folder, or an entire USB stick and have it copied to the car. Yuck.

2) It seems to always default to the CD player if there is a CD inserted. For me, this isn't great. I generally listen to audio books on CD. But I don't always want it to auto-play.

3) Where's my Android Auto!? (previously mentioned, but high on my list of wants)

Also, started reading the big manual, and found a couple of things which I hadn't known. The side-view mirrors automatically shift down when you put the car in reverse. Great for seeing curbs. It will only do this if the switch for adjusting the side view mirrors ISN'T in the middle position (which is where I normally leave it to prevent accidental re-positioning of the mirrors). I now leave that switch pushed to the right (passenger side mirror), because I like the auto-shift to see curbs.

Also found that the rear-view mirror's compass needs to be told what "region" you are in if you want it to be more accurate. I may turn that compass off entirely, anyway. It seems redundant with the Nav.

My EV range has gone from 27 to 25 when the charge is at 100%. I'm assuming (hopeful?) that that is adjusted for ambient temp which has gone from high 60s to 40 today. It's still enough to get me the 22 miles to work (where we have free charging). So, I've yet to use *any* gasoline for the week I've had the car.
Nice discoveries as I had no idea the mirrors did that tilt thing. Gotta test that myself and see if that's how it works. Seems kinda funky that they can't be in the default position.

1) Had no idea you can upload your own music to the car? never even heard of that and just assumed it had to play off the USB plugged in. (not that i planned on that either) but if I can dump some on there to not always have to play off my phone, that'd be cool, even if it's clunky.

2) Never put a CD/disc in yet so not sure what defaults and/or if you can alter that.

3) Android Auto must also be getting 'bugs fixed' as I heard CarPlay was before being released. I thought Android was actually available at dealers for updating, but I could be wrong as I don't use Android so haven't asked directly like Apple stuff.

EV Range: So mine first showed 27 with a full charge, now it seems to show 26 with a full charge. I talked to my friend who owns a Leaf as he says they Leaf does the same in the winter as he loses a lot from running the heater and etc as it's all electric on that of course. I'm just assuming that after driving the winter temps, it has more data and has adjusted it's estimated numbers down a single mile of range for me, which I actually would be totally fine with. Of course the ICE makes up for the cabin heat, etc, while his Leaf may lose 15-20% range in MN winter from what he's said.

All that being said, and from what I read about SoCal media test drives, we may be getting 30+ range when in ideal conditions (ya know, SoCal like) and driving all EV/ECO. I think I remember a video review where the test drive guy got 34 on a single charge. Shouldn't need the ICE at all, and battery temps, no heated steering or seat needed, etc. Of course if you use the ventilated seats that may lose some juice. We'll see about that come May around here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice discoveries as I had no idea the mirrors did that tilt thing. Gotta test that myself and see if that's how it works. Seems kinda funky that they can't be in the default position.
Yeah, it seems the middle turns the feature off. I seems they could have put this somewhere else in settings, but it isn't too bad as is.

1) Had no idea you can upload your own music to the car? never even heard of that and just assumed it had to play off the USB plugged in. (not that i planned on that either) but if I can dump some on there to not always have to play off my phone, that'd be cool, even if it's clunky.
They call it "My Music", and it doesn't show up anywhere until you've copied at least one file there. Stick in a USB stick, choose menu, and chose "Copy to My Music." It's actually a bit nicer than playing via bluetooth from my phone. Mostly because it's there immediately...no waiting for the phone to be connected. And, maybe less importantly, because it should in theory sound better (no re-encode for bluetooth). 6 gigs is plenty...I just wish there was a better way to manage it. Since the car has wifi, why isn't there a web page we can visit while connected to our home wifi to manage this?

EV Range: So mine first showed 27 with a full charge, now it seems to show 26 with a full charge.
I easily exceeded 27 (probably close to 32 or so) in my first couple of days. Warm out, careful driving, etc. Nothing extra on in the car. I was trying to see how much extra I would have in a typical work commute. As it turns out, I had about 8 miles to spare. As I drove more, and started to drive more like I had previously, that dropped to about 6 or so. But...it was about 60 degrees out.

This morning, it was a bit below 40, and I noticed the 25 mile estimated distance. We'll see how/if that changes when it is back to 60 or so tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They call it "My Music", and it doesn't show up anywhere until you've copied at least one file there. Stick in a USB stick, choose menu, and chose "Copy to My Music." It's actually a bit nicer than playing via bluetooth from my phone. Mostly because it's there immediately...no waiting for the phone to be connected. And, maybe less importantly, because it should in theory sound better (no re-encode for bluetooth). 6 gigs is plenty...I just wish there was a better way to manage it. Since the car has wifi, why isn't there a web page we can visit while connected to our home wifi to manage this?
Other silver lining about using My Music over bluetooth is the album artwork ;)
Just makes the screen look better than that default bluetooth logo I've seen.
Also unless I'm wrong, bring that it says bluetooth is 'streaming', I don't think you have nearly the controls you do if the phone is plugged into via USB (also then shows artwork, or controls with My Music.

But yeah, I had like 100 mp3's on my USB drive, transfer one to test, and then search for some magical shortcut to select by album or folder or whatever to not have to do transfer it 99 more times.

So that could surely be easily improvement if they want to in a future release, as could anything utilizing wifi, additional apps, etc etc. I mean with firmware updates they really could keep the car feeling newer as Tesla does in so many ways.

The Entertainment system does have a lot of great functionality and the interface is better than I've seen in some other cars, so it's getting there, but these things we discussing (and CarPlay) might've been some of the last things they were adding, and maybe just needed to get it out as long as it's not buggy, knowing they can update them later. I just hope it can be wifi/phone hotspot downloads to update and not need a dealer appt every time.

In the meantime, I'm just highly distracted as I watch the electrons move from batteries to wheel, charge, idle, and the other half dozen modes it switches though.

And I'm sure y'all have seen this, but took me a few days to know that you can scroll up/down in the instrument cluster display. only that first screen has the little dots on the right, and the right side of steering wheel up/down buttons switch to nav, eco %, and the lovely animations of your power moving in the current mode.

Lastly, I tried my friend's trick (Leaf Owner) and drove with the cabin heat OFF yesterday for 13 miles, but with seat heat on max and streering wheel heat on. He says he does it in his Leaf to save range and it heats up fine. It was barely 20 degrees out so although my butt/back and fingers were all good, I think my nose and face was still in 20 degree temp. Not exactly ideal, maybe cause his Leaf stays in attached garage that is much warner to begin with than mine. Also I tried to turn on pass seat heat with nobody in it, and it doesn't heat as it knows there's nobody in it. Smart, but killed my idea of using it for heat source. Ha. Anyways, may not do that till it's warmer out, but one cool thing was when I get to my parents, the instrument cluster display showed my trip info, and I believe it said 99.9MPG. Tried to get a pic of it but it went away real fast as I turned it off. It was 99 or 99.9. So at least I know that's a great way to work it. Still only maxed on a 'Eco Rating' thing of 6/8 I believe. I'm just sure the cold temps can't help at all, and some mild hills may even hurt it regardless of your driving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
New MPGe "High Score" for me.

So with the elec motor only, no cabin heat running to prevent ICE from starting, but with steering, seat heat, radio, all running, this is what I've seen for several drives. This was 4 miles 'city' but previous was 14 miles in mixed city/highway. With EV I'd think it doesn't matter as long as you don't gun the accelerator to kick the ICE on.

Pretty slick. Not sure if the display can even show another digit so maybe 99.9 is the max.

Pretty slick to be able to do this in 20 degree temps. I think the 100% charged range has moved down another mile from 26 to 25. Gotta think the seat heat on max, steering and Infinity system bumping it would maybe lose a mile, that and just cold temps can't be helping out for anything but not overheating batteries. ;0

Oh and I saw that side mirror tilt thing today, pretty hidden 'feature' but cool to know it's there if needed. I also didn't know there was a 'cross traffic' warning. Never had a rear cam before and never thought I'd trust em because of cross traffic of a car or a kid or biker, but it caught someone walking by in a parking lot when they were behind the car next to me. Think that may only be in the Limited right? Either way, slicko.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
New MPGe "High Score" for me.

So with the elec motor only, no cabin heat running to prevent ICE from starting, but with steering, seat heat, radio, all running, this is what I've seen for several drives. This was 4 miles 'city' but previous was 14 miles in mixed city/highway. With EV I'd think it doesn't matter as long as you don't gun the accelerator to kick the ICE on.

Pretty slick. Not sure if the display can even show another digit so maybe 99.9 is the max.

Pretty slick to be able to do this in 20 degree temps. I think the 100% charged range has moved down another mile from 26 to 25. Gotta think the seat heat on max, steering and Infinity system bumping it would maybe lose a mile, that and just cold temps can't be helping out for anything but not overheating batteries. ;0

Oh and I saw that side mirror tilt thing today, pretty hidden 'feature' but cool to know it's there if needed. I also didn't know there was a 'cross traffic' warning. Never had a rear cam before and never thought I'd trust em because of cross traffic of a car or a kid or biker, but it caught someone walking by in a parking lot when they were behind the car next to me. Think that may only be in the Limited right? Either way, slicko.
I think you'd be envious if I took a snapshot of my past trip history...It is pegged at 99.9 mpg for every single trip. (That is, indeed, the max it will show). Basically, I haven't used any gasoline in the 10 days I've owned the car (until yesterday when I went to the dealership to pick up my new license plates, and when I got home, the kids wanted to go out to lunch...still managed to hit 99.9 mpg though, even though had heat on, and was out of battery for a few miles.)

Yeah, the rear camera warning stuff is cool. It reminds me every morning to be careful pulling out of my garage since it sees the wall along the passenger side rear as being very close to the car. The mirror thing is nice...I should go through the rest of the manual to see what other neat stuff I'm missing.

I have started having some issues with my bluetooth phone disconnecting when it shouldn't... Very hard to know if that is a phone issue, or a car issue though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So are you not using the heater at all, seat heat, steering wheel heat? Isn't it in the 30s/40s out there, or maybe you're in an attached garage and it's warm enough to not need it?

Awesome to see that 99.9 for all the trips, as then I'm even more hopefully that's what I should be getting come spring moreso then in the dead winter right now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So are you not using the heater at all, seat heat, steering wheel heat? Isn't it in the 30s/40s out there, or maybe you're in an attached garage and it's warm enough to not need it?

Awesome to see that 99.9 for all the trips, as then I'm even more hopefully that's what I should be getting come spring moreso then in the dead winter right now.
Seat heater and steering wheel heat are on constantly. My commute to work is long enough that I have to turn the steering wheel back on since it eventually turns itself off. Haven't needed cabin heat yet...though this morning (28 degrees out) I considered turning it on but I was almost at work already. My garage is attached, and stays close to 60 degrees, so it takes a while before the cabin gets too cold, I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My darn detached garage isn't helping me at all then as I'm sure the car is in the teens first thing in the morning this time of year. If it was already at 60 that'd be pretty darn slick as then you could be just fine with steering and seat heat. I'm working on getting a new 2 car (vs 1 currently) garage that may have floor heat so I could at least warm it up in the morning, and also help the car not be an ice box in the winter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My darn detached garage isn't helping me at all then as I'm sure the car is in the teens first thing in the morning this time of year. If it was already at 60 that'd be pretty darn slick as then you could be just fine with steering and seat heat. I'm working on getting a new 2 car (vs 1 currently) garage that may have floor heat so I could at least warm it up in the morning, and also help the car not be an ice box in the winter.
So, there must be something else different about our driving habits/distances.

Yesterday, on the way home from work (so, the car had been sitting at about 35 degrees all day), I had to turn on the cabin heat in addition to the wheel and seat. First time for me. :-( The total commute time was about 50 minutes, I probably had the heat on (Auto, Eco, 72 degrees, driver only) for 25 minutes of the drive time. I turned it off when I was warm enough, or sitting at an absolute stop. I ended the drive and the car told me that I *still* averaged 99.9 MPG for that trip.

Then, this morning. Coldest day of this winter. 11 degrees out (without the wind chill, which the car doesn't car about) The heat was on for probably 35 or 40 minutes of the 50 minute/22 mile trip. The car says that I *still* averaged 99.9 MPG for the trip!

What are your other stats? I'm currently sitting at 79% ECO, 21% Normal, 0% Aggressive. Maybe the difference lies there? I just crossed 500 miles total on the car this morning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So yeah I'm wondering what may be different, as even when I have seen 99.9 shown on the instrument cluster display after a drive, I never get anything in that History Log over 50s. I think everything in the Log shows 54-57MPG, yet I know I've had 99.9 several times and something like 73 the other day when I ran outta EV range.

Have you seen or changed anything in the History Log tab? I mean, it's screwing me outta my "high scores"? ;) I've been freezing my ass off a few times to get that 99.9 and then it doesn't even log it.

Hmmmmm...... still waiting to find any dealer or anyone aside from this board that can answer these type of tech questions. I swear there's gotta be a US Rep for the Plug In, or even all Sonata's that has to be on top of all the details.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have you seen or changed anything in the History Log tab? I mean, it's screwing me outta my "high scores"? ;) I've been freezing my ass off a few times to get that 99.9 and then it doesn't even log it.
So, something sounds very wrong. I haven't done anything to my history log tab, and after every single trip, when the car turns off, if gives you trip details on the center screen. If I immediately jump to the history log tab, I can see that trip get added to the log.

I can't imagine why that isn't happening for you.

EDIT: Oh, a thought. Maybe the history log fills up, and you have to "clear" it? Is yours showing *any* recent dates at the top?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kgoroway - it sounds too good to be true. It's like there's no deviation - always at 99.9 MPG.

I'm getting 79 MPG on that monitor. Trying to break into the 80+ mpg. I use the 2 heaters occasionally. I get a rating of 3. But I wish Hyundai would provide tips on improving my driving.

But the best feeling is I'm sticking it to the gas companies ! I have not had to touch a pump in the last 3 weeks for my personal driving. And almost zero emissions !

·
Registered
154 Posts
Kgoroway - it sounds too good to be true. It's like there's no deviation - always at 99.9 MPG.
Not too good to be true...just happened to fit into my typical driving habits perfectly. That being said, I took my first trip in the car that was longer than my estimated EV range. I went back and forth to Atlantic City (58ish miles). So, for the first time since I've had my car, I've got 2 trips in my history that aren't 99.9 mpg. I did 68mpg on the way there, and 88mpg on the way home. (I did get a full charge while I was there, free at the garage I parked in).

I think the difference is that when I left my house (heater on), I was in a bunch of stop and go, local traffic (so, a bunch of 0 mpg averaged in.)

On the way home, I was instantly on the highway, going 70mph (heater on) but traveling a bunch of miles on the battery.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Okay, I was a little off (from memory), but here are the real numbers. The short trip that was under 99.9 mpg is an example of around the town, stop and go, with the heater on, but a full battery. (I went to home depot to get the supplies to install my level 2 charger. ;-) )

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you get Hyundai to let you purchase or lease your PHEV from California? I was (key here WAS) trying to get Keys in Van Nuys to lease me a 2016 Sonata PHEV and I got such a dealer runaround and blatant lying that I stopped the process and settled on regular hybrid from Morries in SLP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi fellows,
I'm new to the forum and plan on buying a Sonata PHEV27 soon, although I will have to go out of state to do so.
I only have test drive access to the Hybrid model here in GA , And have test driven it.
I'm a Gen 2 Prius owner since 2007, and a Prius PHV owner since 2012 ( which was bought out of state).

I have some Hypermiling questions about the 2016 Sonata PHV.
1. Does the car give an indication, while in EV MODE, of the threshold beyond which throttle input will cause the ICE to start?
2. When you are attempting to establish a Glide, (zero energy flow state while driving) it appeared during my test drive that simply lifting your foot off the throttle put the car in this state. My Prius will regen slighty when off throttle and requires slight throttle pressure to zero out the energy flow and glide.
3. Is my observation correct and applicable to the Sonata PHEV correct? Thus it only regens when the brake pedal is applied?

I'm impressed with what I've seen so far, and dealers are offer impressing discount, and incentives. And the size, comfort, convienence, tech, EV range, etc are very impressive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry for the delay as this question looked like it was for me.

So I tried to work with Bloomington Hyundai (off 494/France area) to first order one for me from anywhere they could get them, but it was too early and they said their regional heads said they couldn't even order me one as they were so limited or something. So I worked with Van Nuys dealer and they were actually great to work with remotely even. I just had to pay some additional shipping to get it to Minneapolis. Other than that it was all good. Not sure if leasing from another state is tricky, or even doable as someone would have to ship it, and maybe they want to be the one servicing it if they're the ones getting it back in a few years. Can't speak to that, but they were great to work with for me as I did the whole transaction while I was actually on vacation in Hawaii, and the car was shipped and showed up at my door a few days after I got back.

But.... I saw they had 2 Plug In Hybrids in stock at Bloomington dealer as of mid April. Not sure if you can return your reg hybrid, but of course if you could get one of the Plug-Ins, you'd get the $4800 fed rebate, which should make not only your end price (after tax credit) cheaper than base hybrid, but it'll of course be much more efficient and much less gas/$ over your ownership.

Did you get Hyundai to let you purchase or lease your PHEV from California? I was (key here WAS) trying to get Keys in Van Nuys to lease me a 2016 Sonata PHEV and I got such a dealer runaround and blatant lying that I stopped the process and settled on regular hybrid from Morries in SLP.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts