Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Sonata Hybrid started an embarrassingly loud belt squeak at 100K, so I replaced both belts. The intermittent squeak started again in a few weeks, so I change both tensioners and the pulley. The squeak started again after a month or so. The belt squeaks every time it comes out of EV mode. What could be causing this issue? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
88 Posts
alternator bearing, Check all pully bearings...

Take a screwdriver or a mechanics stethoscope and hear for rubbing noise...google videos of how this is done and go from component to component till you find the culprit...

This is the sound of bearing under load and when heated......

sandan

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Send me VIN

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
alternator bearing, Check all pully bearings...

Take a screwdriver or a mechanics stethoscope and hear for rubbing noise...google videos of how this is done and go from component to component till you find the culprit...

This is the sound of bearing under load and when heated......

sandan
Hybrid does not have alternator.. Belt for water pump (no tensioner),, and belt for HSG

What was source for both belts ??

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I got both belts from RockAuto.
I run VIN, didnt have what I thought for 1 of recent Hybrid recall,,, but, look at nut at front of HSG,, there may be a paint line across front of pulley / nut... see if it still in line

You do have open recall for floor anchor (buckle) inspect with sticker install

Aftermarket belts,, hmm... almost prefer to OE supplied (Hyundai or Kia),, as sometimes store bought belts tend to be slight bit long (loss of tension), or of different material for grip pulleys (friction co-efficient) as spec by Hyundai / Kia for intended use,, I know, kinda sounds really off the wall...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have replaced both upper and lower tensioners as well as the pulley. There weren't any paint lines on the new parts that I installed, so what would I be looking for?
So it is your suggestion that I buy Hyundai OEM belts and replace again?

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I have replaced both upper and lower tensioners as well as the pulley. There weren't any paint lines on the new parts that I installed, so what would I be looking for?
So it is your suggestion that I buy Hyundai OEM belts and replace again?
Not looking for lines on the newly installed part.. Look at the "HSG" (Hybrid Starter Generator),, it is that big aluminum thing with small pulley that wide belt loops around.. there is a big nut on front that hold pulley to it' shaft,, some have paint line on them,, if it does, see if paint line still a straight line

You have sounds with non Hyundai-Kia supplied belt, maybe try OE supplied belt, as noted, aftermarket belts is generic for length, where as OE belt is made to spec for length and material for it' intended application

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2012 sonata hybrid. I see a paint like on what looks to be a allen key on the front of the HSG is that what i should use to try and tighten?

·
Registered
238 Posts
To fix the pano roof there are a few descriptions on how to. It comes down to a crossbar in the roof with 4 metal screws that loosen up. The correction is to put felt pads between the two metals and retighten the screws.
For clicking, refer to the turbo sonata section, on a thread called ''Clicking....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Sonata Hybrid started an embarrassingly loud belt squeak at 100K, so I replaced both belts. The intermittent squeak started again in a few weeks, so I change both tensioners and the pulley. The squeak started again after a month or so. The belt squeaks every time it comes out of EV mode. What could be causing this issue? Any suggestions?

im having same issue with 2012 Sonata Hybrid. Wasted $300 on belts...dealer wants $900 for tensioner..... need a fix , thx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts