Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's here what all you've found, installed, come up with, or think will enhance this 'GT' to greater performance levels people.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I installed the K&N intake system and had a Magnaflow muffler installed, I dont think its any faster but it sure as **** sound faster :D

Its a NA econo-box so we cant expect to much without ripping the engine apart I guess haha :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very Nice

As a auto enthusiast I want to be able to feel my car through the rpm range either by sound of engine vibration. Personally, being a straight manual guy I live and die by that capability of feeling my engine and were it's at in the rpm range.

Sounds good buddy, I am going to enhance my intake so as to get more sound from the engine so I know where the sweet spots for shifting occur without having to look at the tachometer.

Thanks for your input, keep it coming.

HSK

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree

Ya, I'm use to Mustangs, corvettes, and even BMW m3. This car will never be a screamer without a complete over hall, but we can make it cool and tasteful. It does have the best looks of hatchback market.

What was the intake setup you went with? I was looking at the K&N system, but wanted to see what others are using. This for the 'sound' effect. I do not know if you drive a manual or auto, but us manual guys need to know where the engine is in the rpm range when it comes to shifting. Please let me know if ya will.

Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a auto with the k&n.. I wanted a short intake just to change it up, I had long cold air systems on everything I have ever owned..

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a auto enthusiast I want to be able to feel my car through the rpm range either by sound of engine vibration. Personally, being a straight manual guy I live and die by that capability of feeling my engine and were it's at in the rpm range.

Sounds good buddy, I am going to enhance my intake so as to get more sound from the engine so I know where the sweet spots for shifting occur without having to look at the tachometer.

Thanks for your input, keep it coming.

HSK
Exactly how I feel! I can't hear or feel the engine so I'm constantly finding myself watching the rpms... It's really annoying!! And I think it also makes my shifting less smooth

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Agree

The car is numb at best doing the intake and exhaust should help in hearing feeling were the appropriate shift points will be.

Personally, when I can get the founds saved up I'll go cold air intake of some sort. So I can hear the tenor and tone of the engine.

But as far as shifting an manual that will certainly partly depend on the sound of engine. The more connected you are to your car the more in tune you will be with it. Of, course this only addresses the engine and nothing to do with the handling of the car, but that for another time. Just remember this is not a Porsche 911 Sport, so do not get your hopes up to much, just have fun.

·
Registered
660 Posts
K&N Filter and short throw shifter with the pedal adjust mod is doing fine by me for now. I'll probably want more tomorrow. Prior to this, I had a '10 M3. '11 370Z and then an '11 Z4. But now the kiddos are getting ready to go to college, well I gotta start off with something I like and can play with until my kids graduate and buy my next BMW. Sorry, I was dreaming for a moment.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i started with a 12 accent se . rediscovered my hatch back love so i up it to a 13 elantra gt they were both the quietest cars i have ever driven in. i swear i heard the stero from a mersades as it passed me on the highway at 80 mph. i went a slightly cheeper way with a hush thrush. just enough sound to here it not loud enough to scare the rats away.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i started with a 12 accent se . rediscovered my hatch back love so i up it to a 13 elantra gt they were both the quietest cars i have ever driven in. i swear i heard the stero from a mersades as it passed me on the highway at 80 mph. i went a slightly cheeper way with a hush thrush. just enough sound to here it not loud enough to scare the rats away.
What model hush thrush did you purchase? Any chance you can post a sound clip/video?

How was the install, diy or shop time?

Trying to figure out the best/most economical muffler to complement the K&N I just installed

·
Registered
163 Posts
I installed the K&N intake system and had a Magnaflow muffler installed, I dont think its any faster but it sure as **** sound faster :D

Its a NA econo-box so we cant expect to much without ripping the engine apart and rebuilding the suspension I guess haha :D

FTFY ;)

K&N Filter and short throw shifter with the pedal adjust mod is doing fine by me for now. I'll probably want more tomorrow. Prior to this, I had a '10 M3. '11 370Z and then an '11 Z4. But now the kiddos are getting ready to go to college, well I gotta start off with something I like and can play with until my kids graduate and buy my next BMW. Sorry, I was dreaming for a moment.
Well, the 370 is a heavy beast but the Z4 is a fun car. I'm sure you miss it. I know *I* would.

The absolute cheapest way to get good performance is to trade it on a BRZ or FR-S. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice rides guys

AAAAcent, has him some motoring machines M3 and 370Z, nice. I had a buddy that had a 300Z Twin turbo, that thing was scary! Those turbos kick-in and you WOULD hold on for dear life. Had a chance to buy it, and I should of, but got me a 1997 M3 that I Dinanized it to Level 4. (Everything short of supercharger)

Now a new project, this car, it has potential, I wish they would of offered it with that 1.8L Turbo engine that the Veloster owner's can opt to get. Now that would be a platform to work with.

I think a cold air intake is my next step, then... In with the good air, out with the bad air. (Exhaust/headers)

Remember an engine is just a big Air Pump.

Keep the ideas flowing, all.

Peace-Out

·
Registered
163 Posts
AAAAcent, has him some motoring machines M3 and 370Z, nice. I had a buddy that had a 300Z Twin turbo, that thing was scary! Those turbos kick-in and you WOULD hold on for dear life. Had a chance to buy it, and I should of, but got me a 1997 M3 that I Dinanized it to Level 4. (Everything short of supercharger)

Now a new project, this car, it has potential, I wish they would of offered it with that 1.8L Turbo engine that the Veloster owner's can opt to get. Now that would be a platform to work with.

I think a cold air intake is my next step, then... In with the good air, out with the bad air. (Exhaust/headers)

Remember an engine is just a big Air Pump.

Keep the ideas flowing, all.

Peace-Out

Ahhem. The Dinan Stage (not level) 3 package for the s52 adds the Vortex centrifugal supercharger. What is sometimes referred to as stage 4 software is a simply a reflash of the engine software and the transmission on models with the automatic. With only the s50 intake, CAI, and the "stage 4" software (no supercharger), that adds about 15-20 hp MAX to the s52, unless you also add long-tube headers and cat delete.

Dinan stage 2 is almost completely suspension related.

Sorry for going off topic. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brakes

I know I've talked a lot about the feel of the car, but I must state this, and this is the Gospel about speed.... BRAKES, I've read many a book on racing and brakes are it!

Imagine going (let's say 100 mph) into a turn you hit the brakes hard just at the beginning of the turn, you brake hard entering the turn, then heal-toe at the apex (downshift/rev-match) and punch it on the exit of the turn. That's why brakes are the key, the faster and longer you stay in the throttle when entering the turn the better or faster you'll be, then downshift and floor it out of the apex of the turn. Yes, this is the purest form of road racing, but it does translate to the street.

Just make sure your "brake-torque" is not to much for your car's weight, power, and tires, or you'll just lock-up your tires (break traction) and slide right into trouble.

Brakes...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have the Jun B.L. exhaust installed and K&N CAI system will be here Friday. Other mods are painted calipers, drilled and slotted rotors, LED interior lights, Enkei PF01 wheels with Bridgestone Potenza tires and who knows what else, only time will tell lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think therefore I'm Dangerous

BRAKES, that is what I'm going to do a nice set of Cross-Drilled slotted rotors, with metal bake lines, and yes I will eventually paint my calipers. (Got ta show off that brake work), but that's going to takes some different RIMS.. and a lot of coin. Oh, I dream, but it will become reality somedayB)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Links

Here some links to read-up on to become quicker drivers. since the Hyundai Elantra GT has ONLY 148 HP and 131 lbs. torque we need to find ways to be faster. here some proven racing techniques that are used and do work. Read, learn and practice Ladies and Gentlemen!

Try this Link Guys and Gals:
TurnFast! Race Driving Techniques for Heel Toe Downshift, Driving Line, Cornering, Braking, and More

More specifically these of interest to me, but the whole website is pretty Dame good!!!!

PEDALs:
TurnFast! Race Driving Techniques for Heel Toe Downshift, Driving Line, Cornering, Braking, and More • Pedals

Heal-Toe:
TurnFast! Race Driving Techniques for Heel Toe Downshift, Driving Line, Cornering, Braking, and More • Heel-Toe Downshift

Learn these techs and it will be worth hundreds of dollars in performance parts!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts