Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Would you be able to do some sound samples from inside the car?... Normal driving, hard acceleration ?

Thanks!

Inside the car is get loud about 3.5k rpms... I'll be looking into sound suppression as I want to hear my music nice and clear.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-Line 2018 Elantra GT Sport
238 Posts
Inside the car is get loud about 3.5k rpms... I'll be looking into sound suppression as I want to hear my music nice and clear.
To be perfectly frank, you could have probably achieved the results you wanted by just removing the stock resonator and leaving the muffler in place. At this point, you're going to need a resonator. But hey - nothing ventured, nothing gained

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra
43 Posts
To be perfectly frank, you could have probably achieved the results you wanted by just removing the stock resonator and leaving the muffler in place. At this point, you're going to need a resonator. But hey - nothing ventured, nothing gained
I've seen a video of an elantra completely straight piped. 1 word: Awful.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Performance exhaust would consist of four empty pipes, one for each cylinder. The exhaust pressure force travels at the speed of sound, so each pipe would be tuned to say around 4,500 rpm to get the maximum HP and torque. So called tuned exhaust.

Even better would be an exhaust like a trombone slide for maximum torque over a wider rpm range.

Noise is not an issue here. Elantra for a low price vehicle, that is relative by the way, is loaded with sound absorption material, just tear it our in your car if you would like more noise.

Some small private aircraft had tuned exhaust for great performance, but if you wanted to speak to your passengers, all had to wear headphones with a built in mic.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Major exhaust output component is H2O, water, and on these compact vehicles, only place to put the muffler is where the gas tank use to be, at the rear end of the vehicle.

If you drive less than about eight miles for each trip, muffler never gets warm enough to evaporate, lies in the muffler with other emission acids and will very quickly rust it out. So you would want as OEM high quality stainless steel Muffler and resonator. Sure a bunch of Made in China junk on the market.

And you sure don't want CO build up in your vehicle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Major exhaust output component is H2O, water, and on these compact vehicles, only place to put the muffler is where the gas tank use to be, at the rear end of the vehicle.

If you drive less than about eight miles for each trip, muffler never gets warm enough to evaporate, lies in the muffler with other emission acids and will very quickly rust it out. So you would want as OEM high quality stainless steel Muffler and resonator. Sure a bunch of Made in China junk on the market.

And you sure don't want CO build up in your vehicle.
Thank you!
I never knew that... Good thing I drive about 40 miles a day. So far though no headaches while driving. My wife complains all the time that the car sounds like something from the 60's. It's not not bad at all I think she is just giving me grief. I'll be adding some sound deadening to shut her up. 😏

21 - 31 of 31 Posts