Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have links to a good exhaust for an "SE"?
Looking for something that has a deeper tone. I don't want to go over seas for one. If there is one stateside I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
1970 Buick Riviera came from the factory with dual exhaust, cool? Every spring had to replace both sides exhaust manifold back. 1985 Honda SEI, same thing, but only a single exhaust, cat back. Nixon cut the speed limit back to 55 mph and couldn't buy gas.

Elantra came stock with stainless clear back, last vehicle like this lasted longer than the car did due to wear and tear and rust.

Hyundai engineers designed the 2.0L from the intake of the air cleaner clear back to the exhaust. Modification here will decrease performance, just give you more noise, but that kind of cancels out all the effort to decrease interior noise.

Cheaper way to do this without wrecking your car, go to a stock car race, record, make an MP3 and play that back on your radio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ADs are too new yet for any real aftermarket product to come out. Depends on how big the tuning market is. I was surprised how sizable the scene was for the first gen Cruze when I had mine, so you never know. That being said, if you have the coin I'd suggest finding a reputable performance shop, they could definitely whip you up a custom exhaust system on for it.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N-Line 2018 Elantra GT Sport
238 Posts
Your best, cheapest, most effective solution, is to just check out YouTube videos of different mufflers (and/or resonators, or some combination thereof). Select the one you think you'll like, order it, then take it to your local exhaust shop and have them weld it on.

Otherwise, any kind of aftermarket stainless steel exhaust, is going to be a lot of money down the drain just for sound. And all you'll get is "louder". No added power.

As a note: the Elantra SPORT, by contrast, has a LOT of aftermarket support. For good reason. SXTH Element recently got their Elantra Sport build over 400HP.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Anyone have links to a good exhaust for an "SE"?
Looking for something that has a deeper tone. I don't want to go over seas for one. If there is one stateside I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
You will never get a good tone with it. Louder yes, good no.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Always get a kick in reading shop manuals where the slightest leak in your exhaust system can kill, but in practice in driving in the cities have thousands of exhaust pipes around you.

Word performance is used in this title, the Elantra does not have one muffler, has three, front, center muffler also the catalytic converter and the rear. You would have to replace all three. Also has two O2 sensors, fooling around with mufflers may leave you with a check engine light and if you live in an area where emission inspections are made, won't pass.

Still a CID guy, Elantra has a tiny non-turbo 122 cubic inch displacement that produces 147 shaft horse power. Took a long time to get even 1 HP per cube, Elantra has 1.2 HP per cube.

Best performance in both fuel economy is purchasing the high octane fuel you can get, still runs on lower octane fuel but compressor ratio is greatly decreased as his spark advanced.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was curious, and the price is right, but that downward curved tip? No thanks. You can buy any generic muffler, and put a nicer bright steel dual-barrel exhaust tip on it, for about the same cost.

Downward curved tip looks so damned generic and not at all sporty. OP is looking for sound, and if it takes care of that need, then perhaps they won't care that much about the looks. But if it's made as a totally polished stainless-steel unit, then it's made to be seen. And I wouldn't want be seen with that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was curious, and the price is right, but that downward curved tip? No thanks. You can buy any generic muffler, and put a nicer bright steel dual-barrel exhaust tip on it, for about the same cost.

Downward curved tip looks so damned generic and not at all sporty. OP is looking for sound, and if it takes care of that need, then perhaps they won't care that much about the looks. But if it's made as a totally polished stainless-steel unit, then it's made to be seen. And I wouldn't want be seen with that.
Yes, I saw that but isn't that overseas? I'm just tired of all that waiting. As for the downward tip... I think a lil purple pill would help alone with a little welding.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Daughter driving in Milwaukee in a little 2.2 L engine car was stopped by the cops and given a ticket for loud exhaust. No fine by had to show proof her car was repaired.

Took care of it, old muffler just had about a half inch rust hole in it, but no where near the sound of a diesel powered semi. Replaced the muffler, they heard it and gave her the release. Another thing about these low compact cars, muffler is way at the rear where the gas tank use to be. So far back, never gets hot enough to boil off the water.

What water? Gasoline is carbon and hydrogen, hydrogen is really what powers your car, carbon just makes a mess. Air is 20% oxygen, the other 80% creates a mess. But burning hydrogen with oxygen create water over 85% of your exhaust. Sits in the bottom of your muffler with many short trips and rust it out.

Tip, but not recommended, get a 1/2" spur drill, and drill some holes in your stock muffler, see if you get a ticket and have to replace it.

Back in the 50's could buy a fuel injector fitted into the exhaust outlet, hit a button on the dash and exhaust would shoot out flames. Use to do stupid things like this, but decided to get a life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know someone on social media that got a Borla 40085 XR-1 muffler installed. I thought it sounded pretty good, but it is loud inside the cabin also. I've been teetering on purchasing the same one but don't know if I want to commit to that yet or not. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know someone on social media that got a Borla 40085 XR-1 muffler installed. I thought it sounded pretty good, but it is loud inside the cabin also. I've been teetering on purchasing the same one but don't know if I want to commit to that yet or not. :ROFLMAO::LOL:
The last (well, ONLY) Borla I got, I liked, but it most definitely droned in the cabin. This was for a 1994 Probe GT, and the Mazda KL engines always had a nice sound to them. But it was a bit annoying at 60-70MPH.

Granted, that was a catback developed over 20 years ago...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Yonaka muffler arrived in less than a week. I came from Canada go figure. As soon as I get my inspection done I will be putting the muffler on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
great sounding exhaust .. how did you find the fit and finish?.. the welds etc... and did you use a new donut washer and bolts and nuts, or reused ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
It DOES sound nice, at least at idle. Hopefully it isn't boomy inside the car when driving around.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It DOES sound nice, at least at idle. Hopefully it isn't boomy inside the car when driving around.
Inside the car is get loud about 3.5k rpms... I'll be looking into sound suppression as I want to hear my music nice and clear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
great sounding exhaust .. how did you find the fit and finish?.. the welds etc... and did you use a new donut washer and bolts and nuts, or reused ?
Very good, the welds were decent. It fits perfectly in the stock location. I used the newer hardware that arrived with muffler. Need to get it tested to see if it's leaking, I don't trust myself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts