Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_cont...ity-commitment/

Saw this article just now and thought it was interesting. Seems like after quite a few years of great Hyundai models and performance, most people still believe Hyundai is not a quality brand (yet?). I understand the recent troubles for Toyota and persistent Chrysler issues leading to their low ratings, but how Hyundai is still rated so much lower than, say, Nissan, is really worth noting.

Hopefully the numbers will pick up in the future so our resale values will get better!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I saw this and honestly, this is just fine with me. I enjoy driving a great car which is underrated and I really don't want to see Hyundai becoming as big as Honda and Toyota. Also, I've been driving my car for so long, the stupid and ignorant comments slide off like water off a duck's back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, I am sure the 66% that said they don't trust Hyundai's commitment to quality are those who have never owned a Hyundai. And this is a much better spot to be in than say.. the people who purchased a Toyota two years ago. Our resale is likely to only go up

·
Registered
58 Posts
You have to realize much of the sentiment in a survey like this may be from Hyundai owners 5 years ago when the quality was truly not up to par. CR even goes as far to say that people do not look at the recent successes and quality.

Personally, I like the 2011 Sonata. I am not ready to buy yet. There are a lot of kinks that need to be worked out as well. When I am ready to purchase in about 8 months, I hope some of the little things (or quality control issues) are resolved.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Old reputations die very hard, especially when they have been bad reputations.

Kinda sucks in some ways (like at resale time) to be among the crowd that has recognized the positive shift in quality while the rest of the population still has the old impression, but what can you do other than keep plugging along.

I'm old enough to remember some of the first Hondas, Toyotas (and Datsuns!) that flooded the roads in the early '70s....they were totally scoffed at, with sewing machine motors and cancer-eaten bodies after just a short time here in Chicago winters.

Yet those manufacturers kept refining, kept adapting, and now look at their dominence.

Sure, some makers never get any better and end up dieing, like Yugo. But Hyundai seems to be on the rise, and quietly has been for a number of years now, which is one of the reasons I bought.

On the front page of the Autos section of last Sunday's Chicago Tribune was a story about customer loyalty, with Hyundai coming in at No. 3 behind Toyota and Ford. That's from people who actually have experience with the product.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It takes a LONG TIME to build a reputation... but you can lose it in a heartbeat :grin:.

The problem with Hyundai (IMO) wasn't only the lack of a good reputation, but its cars looked awful. Even the great warranty wasn't enough to lure most Japanese car owners to it. At least to me that was until the great new cars starting rolling off the assembly line. I'd have probably bought a Genesis coupe instead of my Accord Coupe 6MT, but missed it by a few months. I'd have also bought the new Tucson instead of the CR-V too, but wasn't out yet. But now that I needed to sell my like-new 6MT because my daughter needed a car for her new job, I finally gave Hyundai a chance. One thing is for sure: you get more car for your money; no question about that. The only thing remaining to see is that the car doesn't give me any trouble. And to be honest, I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for the warranty. Hopefully Hyundai will push other automakers to match it, since only guaranteeing cars for 3 years or 36K miles is frankly ridiculous. That's a good thing for us consumers. And that's also how you build a reputation. Now that new Hyundais are selling like hot-cakes, that process of building a great reputation is going to be accelerated dramatically. Let's just hope they don't put quality on the back burner after building their reputation, like both Honda and Toyota have done. It seems utterly stupid having to build it right back all over again. Take care.

·
Registered
258 Posts
With 2011 Sonata and 2011 Kia Optima Hyundai has a great platform to build. But it is obvious that HMC is already cutting corners to keep pricing in check...at some point you have to wonder if this is the best tactic if they really want to become major player. Statistical data like posted above must be extremely disappointing for QC people at HMC, common they are only better than bankrupt Chrysler is...this is for sure not the place were Hyundai was hoping to be...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just received consumer report vehicle rating guide. In the automotive report card, the ranking seems very reasonable with high praise for Hyundai quality.

1. Honda
2. Subaru
3. toyota
4. Hyundai
5. Nissan
6. Volkswagen
6. Mazda
7. Mercedes
8. BMW
9. Volvo
10. Ford
11. Mitsubishi
12. GM
13. Chrysler

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
My dad asked me in 04 to go look at a Kia he was interesred in....thought he had lost his mind!!! Both of us had been
diehard GM owners forever.We were totally impressed with the car which he bought the following day...and I followed
and bought my Hyundai in 09. :grin:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I remember when Honda & Toyota were the "Junk heaps" (or so everyone was saying).

At least right now Hyundai can keep their prices low till the word gets out... :thumbsup:

Yuma,

·
Registered
161 Posts
QUOTE (BlueDevil @ May 28 2010, 03:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327196
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_cont...ity-commitment/

Saw this article just now and thought it was interesting. Seems like after quite a few years of great Hyundai models and performance, most people still believe Hyundai is not a quality brand (yet?). I understand the recent troubles for Toyota and persistent Chrysler issues leading to their low ratings, but how Hyundai is still rated so much lower than, say, Nissan, is really worth noting.

Hopefully the numbers will pick up in the future so our resale values will get better!
I have experienced that myself,people think and believe that Hyundai still make low quality products,with poor engineering ,no reliable,(i don't care at all what people thinks or what they believe)but the reality is that Hyundai is making good quality cars today and i have No issues with my 08 Elantra,feels solid,good ride,superior interior fit and finish(a lot better than a over priced Corolla) ,good materials for the level and price of the car. The thing is that Hyundai is still paying for 20,25 years old mistakes.

The new models like the 2011 Sonata,All new Tucson,All new Elantra and Accent will help by changing a lot more the wrong perception that people still have in their minds with the Hyundai brand.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
People will believe what they want to believe....end of story. I stopped trying to convince people about 8 months into the ownership of my car and after a year, I no longer dreaded the inevitable cringe when the word 'Hyundai' was provided in response to the query, "What kind of car do you have?" Now, if people ask, I tell them how great my car has been and leave it at that. I no longer get into arguments or try to correct them and when I hear somebody spouting off, I just laugh and keep walking. Let them be ignorant...I've got a great car. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts