Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the first blend ive ever seen that displays its percentage of synthetic. At 50%, this appears to be another stout SOPUS oil. Anyone have first hand use/experience? Plenty cheaper than the RP I plan on using. $17/5qt jug in Walmart.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
The PP was only $21 at Meijer last time I was there. Have not been oil shopping at Wally lately. Oil changes are due in November though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ever since Mobil won that law suit, 51% synthetic and above is considered full synthetic. I was a big fan of Mobil 1 in the 90's until the reformulation.

·
Banned
435 Posts
This is the first blend ive ever seen that displays its percentage of synthetic. At 50%, this appears to be another stout SOPUS oil. Anyone have first hand use/experience? Plenty cheaper than the RP I plan on using. $17/5qt jug in Walmart.
Before you write off Pennzoil Platinum Full Synth, you may wish to consider the following:

Sign up for the Shell FRN rewards card. You'll get 50c/gal on a fill-up (20 gals max) when you buy the 5-quart jug of Platinum so worth $10. That, and the occasional coupons available for $5 off the Platinum jug can get your cost for full synth down to $2/quart. Tough to beat...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before you write off Pennzoil Platinum Full Synth, you may wish to consider the following:

Sign up for the Shell FRN rewards card. You'll get 50c/gal on a fill-up (20 gals max) when you buy the 5-quart jug of Platinum so worth $10. That, and the occasional coupons available for $5 off the Platinum jug can get your cost for full synth down to $2/quart. Tough to beat...
Gotta love SOPUS

·
Registered
126 Posts
Better get off it quick. There's new pending litigation against Red Bull for the stimulants it contains and their alleged contribution to multiple deaths.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Likewise. I made the switch to Amsoil Signature after that and haven't looked back. At least I know what I'm getting.

What Amsoil - for that Acura - haven't you read the posts here about people who cross shopped the RDX ? It's overpriced, bad radio and nav, subpar interior, mpgs are overstated , no pano sunroof and worst of all it's only .3 secs quicker from 0 to 60 than the SFS 2.0. That is just a sampling of your vehicles shortcomings :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Likewise. I made the switch to Amsoil Signature after that and haven't looked back. At least I know what I'm getting.

What Amsoil - for that Acura - haven't you read the posts here about people who cross shopped the RDX ? It's overpriced, bad radio and nav, subpar interior, mpgs are overstated , no pano sunroof and worst of all it's only .3 secs quicker from 0 to 60 than the SFS 2.0. That is just a sampling of your vehicles shortcomings :D
he will get it back in maintence and resale value though. I wouldn't blink an eye at a 100k miles RDX with V6, but there is no way I would buy a used 100k turbo 4

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
he will get it back in maintence and resale value though. I wouldn't blink an eye at a 100k miles RDX with V6, but there is no way I would buy a used 100k turbo 4
Good points although my personal experience with turbos in other makes takes me well over 100k, in one case close to 250k miles - all with original turbos. Just last year I sold a Saab 9-5 with 170 miles, car should easily go well over 200k with proper care.

I personally thought some of the comments about the RDX in comparing to the SFS were a bit parochial in nature, but of course this is a SFS site.

I liked what sits under the hood of the RDX better than that in my SFS, but didn't care for the bottom line on the sticker, Acuras do historically have very high resale value, I'm guessing the basis of your comment on maintenance stems primarily from the OCI of the 2.0T . Definately a good many differences in the 2 vehicles, I almost hate to use the term but I found the RDX to be more of a "driver's CUV. " or a least more performance orientated.

G

·

I know but I still like it. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts