Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Today, while parking, I lightly scuffed the outer rim of the plastic wheel trim of my 5 month old i10 on the kerb. The damaged area is about 1cm by 3cm.

I washed the car later on and while rinsing the wheels down the silver plastic coating started peeling off the trim revealing the unsightly grey base plastic beneath.

This didn't just happen around the immediate area of the damage but over a large area (over a whole 'spoke' of the trim).

Now I could understand that this might happen if I was rinsing with a pressure sprayer but I was just using a garden hose.

I'm a bit annoyed as I'm sure minor kerbing damage shouldn't result in the whole trim being ruined - especially given that I was quoted £32 for a replacement from the dealership.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar and does anyone think I might have a chance of claiming a replacement as the trim is not fit for purpose, i.e. it should be durable enough to withstand minor kerbing?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Jezza,

Unfortunately the breakers' yards in my area have none. (Must be all those careful i10 drivers out there).

Still think that there is a quality issue with the trims as the silver coating appears to be poorly bonded to the base plastic.

If I can summon the will/energy I will make my case with the dealership and see where it gets me.

·
22,788 Posts
You're going to need to summon up a fair amount of energy and will, catweazle. Once the dealer's service guy sees the scuff, game over. But you could plead your case. You never know.

Consider lightly sanding the area and spray it with a silver paint closely resembling the original color. Or, paint the entire thing to achieve uniformity. Either will work. You'll notice the slight difference between it and the other 3, but I highly doubt anyone else will. Unless you tell them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You're going to need to summon up a fair amount of energy and will, catweazle. Once the dealer's service guy sees the scuff, game over. But you could plead your case. You never know.

Consider lightly sanding the area and spray it with a silver paint closely resembling the original color. Or, paint the entire thing to achieve uniformity. Either will work. You'll notice the slight difference between it and the other 3, but I highly doubt anyone else will. Unless you tell them.

Agreed in every respect.

Several points spring to mind:

Re. asking the dealer to replace it - what would YOU do if you were the dealer?.....a bloke comes in having scratched a wheel trim on a kerb, asking for a new one free of charge. I honestly don't think you'd give him one. If you did you'd be setting an extremely expensive precedent..........In the pub you'd say to yer mates "Get yerself down to so and so, the Hyundai dealers in the High Street - he swaps scratched wheel trims for new ones"....I don't think it'll happen. I take your point re. paint coming adrift outwith the immediate vicinity but given that you've damaged it on a kerb I think that's enough to blow your chances. I suppose you've nothing to lose by trying, so give it a go but I wouldn't hold your breath though.

As it happens I'm paranoid about scratching wheel trims or alloys. In the past I've bought cheap trims from whoever (Halfords, Aldi or a nearby wholesaler if they'll let you in) and fitted them for the very reason you've raised. Then I put the originals back when the car comes up for sale. That way I don't feel too bad if one gets marked and I need to respray it as detailed above. You can either use normal spray touch up in a colour that look similar (but is never the same) or actual silver wheel paint in the big tins (which still won't be the same so you might as well do all four). On my Yeti I have winter tyres on steel wheels and use cheap trims from a wholesaler and I then get little round plastic Skoda badges from Ebay and stick them in the centre of the trims and they look OK.

As part of my paranoia I only buy cars with electric mirrors so that I can dip the nearside one right down when reversing so I can see the kerb.

Another part of my condition is my compulsory fitment of reversing sensors (if they're not there as standard) so that I stand less chance of backing in to something.

Remember if you had alloys on there you'd be facing a bill to get them rubbed down and sprayed....so swings and roundabouts.

Let us know how you get on....and, if possible, get a video clip of the dealer's response....could be worth seeing :)

·
Banned
532 Posts
Hi, Today, while parking, I lightly scuffed the outer rim of the plastic wheel trim of my 5 month old i10 on the kerb. The damaged area is about 1cm by 3cm. This didn't just happen around the immediate area of the damage but over a large area (over a whole 'spoke' of the trim).

Has anyone else experienced anything similar and does anyone think I might have a chance of claiming a replacement as the trim is not fit for purpose, i.e. it should be durable enough to withstand minor kerbing?
Many thanks!
catweazle.. :00000732: to the forum.

Item 1 & 2: Join the club, I'm sure all us have curb rash and or rim damage from this type of incident.
Item 3: I think the rim and finish are strong enough to preform their vehicular duties, roll and look nice. Your scuff problem lies between the curb and concrete, an item not typically tested by manufacturers. Save your time with the dealer and maintain good will, follow either Okierich's idea or perhaps Ruperts can give some ideas from that side of the pond.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts