Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa fe with the 3.3 liter 6 cylinder engine. I'm trying to locate the PCV valve. I've seen some diagrams but can't seem to orient them to find the valve. Is the valve in the back of the engine? Is this a DIY?

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is the Emission Control Section from my manual, covers the PCV.....
And yes, it is the rear of the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the Emission Control Section from my manual, covers the PCV.....
And yes, it is the rear of the engine.
Thanks. Looks pretty tight back there. Is this a easily done DIY? It doesn't look like it's accessible easily

·
Registered
206 Posts
Boy, that I don't know I had to go look at mine, I think the only way to get at that might be from the bottom if you can even reach it that way.

Someone who has actually done it may chime in, because I've never needed to get at it yet.

AH, the joys of transversely mounted engines 🤪

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm doing this because I've been having oil disappear and it's my understanding that a bad PCV could contribute to this. My car has nearly 100K on it and I'm figuring this would be a cheap thing to try. Looking at the diagrams, you might be able to get to it standing on the driver's side. I need to check tomorrow when I have some daylight. I'd love to hear from someone who's done this.

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe XL Luxury
27 Posts
I think you may have to remove the air intake tube component that hold the MAP sensor etc. Not a big job but why wouldn't Hyundai have located it on the on the outer valve cover?

·
Registered
160 Posts
why wouldn't Hyundai have located it on the on the outer valve cover?
There's a reason behind every engineering decision, even if it's as inane as "I felt like it".

That being said, I'm thinking maybe:
  • That location permits minimal use of hose and most direct access to the intake manifold;
  • That location shields the PCV system from potential damage by debris;
  • That location makes it intentionally difficult for an end user to attempt a PCV delete.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts