Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2014 Hyundai Sonata GLS to the Hyundai dealer several months ago and they ran a test on it and ended up replacing the entire motor.

2500 miles later every warning light in the dash and gauges go out. The shift lock won't allow the car to shift out of park without manually overriding with a key down in the hole. So I take it back to the dealer.

They tell me the car's been in a front end collision and that all these electronics weren't coded properly. I couldn't afford to have them code it at the time (they were confident that they could code in the parts for 2 service hours) so I took it and saved up a few hundred to bring it back.

Now this time I took it back and they tell me that they will need to change the PCM and recode from there.

List of things not working or lit up: tachometer, speedometer, thermostat gauge, digital gear indicator in dash, tire pressure sensor, traction control, abs light, airbag light, seatbelt light...

So anyway to move on with my question, can I buy an ECM that's been wiped clean of previous VIN and install it and have it coded without buying the $1100 ECM/PCM unit the dealership wants to sell me?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Assuming you're in the USA, you need to find an indie mechanic with diagnostic chops. Otherwise that dealer is absolutely, for sure gonna rape you. The indie will fix everything up, replace the PCM with one in perfect condition from a junkyard, reprogram it, and send you motoring along on your way for a few hundred bucks. Good luck.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,325 Posts
They tell me the car's been in a front end collision and that all these electronics weren't coded properly.
So this fault just appeared 2500 miles after they replaced the motor? And has the car in fact been in a front end collision since the new motor was fitted?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts