Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Push start button and nothing happens but the dash powers up. Starter checks out good all relays and fuses are good. Finally took it too a shop and they informed that the PCM and the engine were not communicating. I have never heard a PCM failing without at least a dead short to ground at the battery or a lightning strike. Brake switch also checked out to be good. Question is what am I missing? Can the PCM be bad or a software issue (which I highly doubt) ? They're telling me $2,300 to replace it. Car is in excellent condition with no issues at all in 5 years and 50K miles. This just happened. Shut the car off, went into a store, came out and nothing. Please help, I can't afford $1300 let alone $2300.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I don't know exactly what your warranties are like where you are but over here that kind of major failure at 5 years would be covered and even if it was just out, you'd have a good chance using a Consumer Agency.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
they informed that the PCM and the engine were not communicating.
I assume by that they mean their scan tool couldn't link with the engine PCM. And if so what steps did they take to diagnose the reason for that before deciding you need to spend $2,300 for a new PCM.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
PCM's go bad and almost always without shorting to the battery or getting struck by lightening. Can the scan tool communicate with the PCM and other modules?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts