Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, could any one tell me for sure, can I remove the plastic covers of my XG30's headlights? Why I ask is being here in "Sunny" UK they keep getting moisture in them, I wonder if I can remove, clean and then reseal them with possibly a sealant to stop the ingress of water. Love my XG, like a little Lincoln!:)

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
l think you are going to have a tough time trying to remove the lense without damage and then getting a good seal, better to cure the cause, dry the light out thoroughly with a hair dryer and then but a small amount of sealant around the rubber seals of the bulb caps at the back of the unit and also the seal around the indicator bulb

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Montego, thank you for your quick answer to my problem. What's worrying me, is the plastic looking cover, just that, a cover? Or is it the actual sealed unit? On the old Mondeo you could remove this plastic cover and then clean the glass underneath, is ours the similar? If not I will follow your good advice and warm it and seal with a sealant.
You are fund of good advice, can I ask about my non-working radio but the CD player is OK? I want if poss. to keep her original and not replace with a different unit. Thank you again, Montego

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
Hi Montego, thank you for your quick answer to my problem. What's worrying me, is the plastic looking cover, just that, a cover? Or is it the actual sealed unit? On the old Mondeo you could remove this plastic cover and then clean the glass underneath, is ours the similar? If not I will follow your good advice and warm it and seal with a sealant.
You are fund of good advice, can I ask about my non-working radio but the CD player is OK? I want if poss. to keep her original and not replace with a different unit. Thank you again, Montego

its not like the old Mondeo its a sealed unit.(you can clean the outside of the plastic lens with a product by '3M' which is available on e-bay/Amazon, l've used it and its brilliant) As for the radio, as you know XG's in the UK were fitted with a Sony radio/mini disc unit with a CD auto changer in the boot, unfortunately the Sony units have not been very reliable and l have had to replace the units on both my XG's in the past.

3M link here
3m headlight kit | eBay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Montego, thank you for your answers. I will go the cleaning route, and you have saved me making a "Boo-boo" and breaking them. The radio will have to go, as we are both driving a limos, we must have some sounds! Thank you again. patricko

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, does anyone know why my XG30 will tick over but will not accelerate. Its just completely flat. Putting your foot down there's nothing. Code reading says Bank 1 Sensor 2, is out. do you think its this or something more major ie: expensive? Prior to all this Bank 2 Sensor 2 plug had melted, we have had this rewired and replaced the sensor. Don't want to scrap her. Help!

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
need some more details, did this fault occur suddenly? was the car running normally before this fault occurred?......how old is the car & what is the mileage?............my first thought would be is the exhaust blocked, is there plenty of gas coming out of the tailpipe?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Montego, my thought entirely, its as if she is stifled. This is my second car but my Dodge sold over the w/end. I previously put the XG away and just ran her regularly every now and again to turn her over, but for the first time about three weeks ago she seemed as if she was running on 3 cyls so I left her. Last week I started her and it was the same, left her ticking over. Idled great but when I put my foot on the gas, she went up to 3k and then dropped back each time, decided not to ruin it, but just as I was going to drop the bonnet I noticed it was a bit smoky from off the engine. Good job I did not slam the hood down as there was the beginnings of a nice little fire just getting going!! The wiring and plug by the lamda sensor burning, why I don't know, but I managed to put it out, whooo! Rewired plug and new sensor but still running the same. Code says as previous message. I did wonder if the cat/exhaust is blocked. Montego, you are a Blessing to us.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again Montego, the XG is an 01 plate and the mileage about 120k, sorry I missed this from my previous answer.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
there is a difference between the front part of the exhaust system and cat. layout on the 2000, 2001 and 2002 cars......if you do have a blocked silencer or cat. l may be able to help as l have a third XG (2001) which is parked up in the back of the yard which l just use for spares as and when needed..........probably worth changing that faulty oxygen sensor first though before you get too involved in anything else

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Montego, dropped both the exhausts, just in case the cats were blocked, but it made no difference at all. Maybe it is that other sensor. That a very kind offer, where are you located? I really don't want to scrap this car. I am in south Suffolk on 01206 392993 or 07754 341647 e.mail: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
Some of the XG's were fitted with a mani-cat on bank one, others had the cat. fitted further down the system (l presume then that yours is the latter type)?............this is one of the differences l posted about earlier.

You said that it was miss-firing but that you had code scanned it and it only came up with the oxygen sensor fault, if that's the case then l would defiantly change that sensor before you do anything else. If that does not cure the fault clear the fault codes (if you have not already done so) and do another scan.

Before you re-start the engine l would also suggest you dis-connect the battery for five mins. before you re-scan it (this will do a re-flash on the computer)

Your profile states that your location is Essex l'm in Kent

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Montego, I will forward this to my garage and hope that it will help. The XG ran like a dream until this latest problem, then would idle well but not run up to more than 2.5/3k and then drop back. After the fire and the new sensor and rewiring its still the same so I will follow your advice and get a new sensor as you suggest. I know its another £110 but I don't want the lose her. I thank you again for ALL you do, and its appreciated by me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Montego, quick up-date, mechanics just put another sensor on (as the Codes), no difference. Then one of the guys disconnected the MASS and it ran like a bird. Just ordered a new one off E.bay to replace the old one. Here's the downside they think the head gasket may be iffy! Said the main rad hose was "blowing-up" possibly with air. Reckon it could be mega money, oh blow! Think I should have bought the one on E.bay, moral don't fall in love with a car.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
Hi Montego, quick up-date, mechanics just put another sensor on (as the Codes), no difference. Then one of the guys disconnected the MASS and it ran like a bird. Just ordered a new one off E.bay to replace the old one. Here's the downside they think the head gasket may be iffy! Said the main rad hose was "blowing-up" possibly with air. Reckon it could be mega money, oh blow! Think I should have bought the one on E.bay, moral don't fall in love with a car.
don't jump to conclusions, the water hoses on these cars always do feel hard when the engine is hot..........they are not known for head gasket problems

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Montego, just a quick up-date on my XG. I picked her up yesterday after replacing the MASS, it now runs like a bird! Glad she is up and running, missed the old girl. Will go for a new MOT tomorrow. I will keep an eye on that engine after giving her a good clean up. On my previous question re: the radio, do you know where the wiring runs for the arial, as it only picks up a very faint signal. Thank you again for all your good advice.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
the wiring for the aerial runs along the right hand side of the car by the inner sills and joins up to the built in aerial in the rear window, there is also an amplifier behind the plastic cover on the right hand side of the rear window, however l doubt very much if your problem lies here, its much more likely to be the radio itself, as l said before the standard Sony radio is not very reliable..........BTW glad to hear that your XG is running smooth again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Montego. It PASSED! Runs great, an engine management light came on, they could not read it as their reader only shows XG250/350, so guess who will be getting another message soon? Thank you!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts