Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Elantra GLS 5 speed manual with front and rear disc brakes with 109,000 miles.

About 1.5 years ago or 19,000 miles ago I had my front brake pads, rotors and calipers replaced. First time on the calipers.

Less than a month ago I had to have my read brake pads and rotors replaced.

Now I'm noticing a "burning" smell many times when I arrive at work which is about 25 miles from home. Returned the car to car shop that performed read brake change. They indicated my one of my front calipers is bad / sticking / freezing.

Today when I arrived at work noticed the burning smell and went tire to tire attempting to locate origin, also touched the metal rims and low and behold the passenger side rear smelled and I literally burned my finger when I touched the rim!

Called shop they are going to look at it tomorrow. When I arrived home tonight, no smell and the passenger side front rim was "warm" to the touch - noticeably warmer than the drivers side - but not hot.

When I go to work I go down a fairly substantial long hill - wondering if that's why rear acts up...

My questions are:

1. If a front caliper is not working correctly could it cause the rear to work harder or do more percentage of braking? Is the hydraulic system that intelligent?
  2. When going down a long steep incline does the car sense the tilt and apply more braking power to the rear brakes?
Sorry for the long post - thank you in advance for any assistance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a quick update on my situation. Car repair shop checked and found all 4 calipers stick intermittently. Recommended I take vehicle to dealer for diagnosis. They feel it's something in the hydraulics, could even be master cylinder. Going to dealer tonight.

·
22,793 Posts
Congrats, Bruce. All's well that ends well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts