Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is very short and she is complaining about not seeing well out of the passenger seat. She sits on a pillow, which disables half of the heated seats in the winter, ( can't feel the heat).
I plan to remove the seat and install 4 spacers under the seat anchor bolts.
I took some measurements and even with a 3 inch lift my headroom is fine, and I am taller than her.
The 4 bolts are 10 mm diameter, 1.25 mm pitch and they are all 30 mm long, plus the head.
You need a 9 mm or 3/8 socket for the bolts, it must be a 12 point socket.
I think this might void the warranty if there is a major accident. If you ever sell the Kona it can be reversed, the job takes maybe 30 minutes.
The only concern where to get the spacers and the new bolts. With a three inch lift the new bolts need to be 105-110 mm long, not including the head.
A machinist could fabricate the spacers from steel or aluminium. Their size is maybe 3 inch high, 3 inch long, and 2 inch wide, like a very small brick, with a 11 mm hole drilled in the center for the bolt pass trough.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our 2015 Santa Fe Sport has dual power seat, but the passenger side is limited to forward-backward and recline only. No height adjustment like on the driver side.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I remembered this being discussed previously, with other Hyundai models. I remember there was a solution available for sale and found it here. Since the options are model specific, you'll likely need to contact him about getting lifts that will fit the Kona -- it looks like his kits are between $45 and $75.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had two minor gripes about the Kona, the low passenger seat and the lack of AC vents in the rear.

I ordered 4 custom-made seat frame adapters from a machine shop. They are 3 inch high, 3 inch long and 2 inch wide. If they are wider than 2 inch they won't fit.
In the center there is a hole, 11 mm diameter to accommodate the original bolts, which are 10 mm.

The two rear adapters need a cutout, only on the top, to accommodate a dowel pin in the two rear seat anchors. After drilling the larger holes I still had to cut out some more with a grinder. This cutout needs to be 19 mm or 3/4 inch wide. The fronts only need one hole in the center. Check the photos.
The original bolts hold the adapter to the floor, the bolt size is 10 mm x 30 mm with a 1.25 mm pitch. You need a 9 mm or 3/8 socket, a 12-point socket to remove and re install the originals.
I purchased four extra bolts and nuts and some washers from Ace hardware. These hold the seat frame to the adapters.
Once you have everything the labor is less than an hour and it can be easily reversed if you ever sell the Kona. Liability?
The passenger seat now is a bit higher than the driver seat when that one is fully raised. I am 5'9" and I'm very comfortable in the passenger side. My view out is better.
As a bonus you get a 3-inch space under the passenger seat for a laptop and two large cameras.
During the installation don't tighten anything until all bolts are in place, then tighten the four original bolts going to the car's floor before doing the others on the top.
By the way, there is an AC vent for the rear, under the seats and non-adjustable. Check the photo.
My cost, machine shop and the extra bolts came to $ 38.
If you want a 2 inch lift only, the 9 mm socket/ratchet won't fit. You could tighten the original bolts with a wrench, but a 9 mm wrench (too short) isn't strong enough for the torque required.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I remembered this being discussed previously, with other Hyundai models. I remember there was a solution available for sale and found it here. Since the options are model specific, you'll likely need to contact him about getting lifts that will fit the Kona -- it looks like his kits are between $45 and $75.
I ended up buying this kit for my wife's Sonata. She loves it. The sun visor now works for her. Getting in and out of the car is easier. The only issue is the original front brackets are angled and the new blocks are straight. This makes starting the now longer bolts harder. Having a helper tip the seat up helps. The new bolts are grade 10.7 so they upgraded from the stock hardness to compensate for the longer bolts. Not cheap, but it does the job and it looks like the safety hasn't been compromised.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am thinking about buying a Kona so I rented one and agree that the passenger seat is way too low. From the way the manual seat height adjustment works on the drivers side, I believe the mechanism fits between the floor and the seat rails so I thought that the drivers seat adjustment mechanism from the drivers side of a right hand drive might work on the passenger seat of a left hand drive car. I went to my local Hyundai dealer and they were less than helpful so I called Hyundai and they referred me back to the dealer. Anyone have some exploded view diagrams with part numbers or know someone who could get this info. I have a friend in the U.K. who could probably get the parts if I knew the part numbers. Thank you,Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like that idea but I think that I will use 2" by 2" and have one long piece on each side. Paint it gloss black to match. Just make sure the bolts are grade 8 and all should be ok. I am 6' and I feel a little low in the seat so I feel sorry for my 5' tall wife. I will post pick in a few weeks. I sat in the passenger seat of a ford explorer and it was worse. I suspect that the side impact offers better protection when you are at the lower position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my seat kit from SRauto. Once I ordered and paid for the kit, it was delivered as promised. If I were to do it again I would have asked if they have a kit with greater height. What I got adds 1 inch to the front of the seat and about 1 1/2 to the rear of the seat which when installed feels almost like nothing was raised. I could have gotten a stack of 82 new dollar bills, which is what the kit costs with shipping, and sat on them and I would have achieved the same height adjustment. Or I could get a taller wife that doesn't complain about not seeing out the windshield. One positive is that the installation process was simple and SRauto was pleasant to deal with. Live and learn.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Check my post right here. We got a 3 inch lift and my wife is using a pillow, still. I am 5'9" and I can sit in the passenger side with her pillow and my head is not rubbing against the headliner.

With the 3 inch lift the passenger seat is slightly higher than the driver seat fully raised (power driver seat in the Limited).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried an Australian (RH) driver seat or frame components to make this possible? Thoughts? (besides potential $500-$1500 bill)... I cant believe it wouldnt work..

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife is very short and she is complaining about not seeing well out of the passenger seat. She sits on a pillow, which disables half of the heated seats in the winter, ( can't feel the heat).
I plan to remove the seat and install 4 spacers under the seat anchor bolts.
I took some measurements and even with a 3 inch lift my headroom is fine, and I am taller than her.
The 4 bolts are 10 mm diameter, 1.25 mm pitch and they are all 30 mm long, plus the head.
You need a 9 mm or 3/8 socket for the bolts, it must be a 12 point socket.
I think this might void the warranty if there is a major accident. If you ever sell the Kona it can be reversed, the job takes maybe 30 minutes.
The only concern where to get the spacers and the new bolts. With a three inch lift the new bolts need to be 105-110 mm long, not including the head.
A machinist could fabricate the spacers from steel or aluminium. Their size is maybe 3 inch high, 3 inch long, and 2 inch wide, like a very small brick, with a 11 mm hole drilled in the center for the bolt pass trough.
[/ i wouldn't do that it might a safety issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been thinking about this. I took my buddy for a ride. He is a big barrel chested guy. He said the passenger seat was fine for him.
I am wondering the people having this problem also drive the Kona and are they comparing the driver seat to passenger seat?Since the the drivers seat pumps up they feel low n the passenger seat?
Since there is a fix the point is moot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts