Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, all,

my '13 GLS has recently developed a rattle in the passenger seat. I know that's what it is, because if someone is sitting in the seat, or I press against the seatback, the rattle stops.

I'm sure this is being magnified by the absolutely horrible roads left behind by the "winter wonderland" we've had, but I'm not sure I can continue to drive 46 miles twice a day without thinking about running the car into a telephone pole.

Short of a trip to the dealer, can anyone direct me to the most expeditious way to resolve this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've noticed something similar to this in my 2012 GLS too. I never hear a rattle until someone is sitting in my front passenger seat. But on mine it sounds like the rattle comes from the center console area. I've been trying to track it down but no luck as of yet.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Could be from more than one source, HOWEVER, had that on my NF Sonata - try this:

1. Pull out (up) the headrest.
  2. Slightly spread the two rods apart so the bottom distance between them increases 1/2 inch (1.1cm). May take some effort.
  3. Reinsert into the seat (you need to gently push them together to get them started).

See if that helps.

Also try repositioning the angle of the back rest (perhaps reclined back one or two notches).

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I doubt the issue is a loose electrical connection under the seat, only because the rattle stops when I push back on the seat back (like the move the driver makes when he's slamming on the brakes with someone in the passenger seat). It does not stop when I try to hold the seat itself.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I haven't listened for a rattling sound necessarily, but I do notice the passenger seatback in my SE rocking slightly when nobody is in it. Nothing drastic, just a little.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My sonata has been doing the same thing for over a year. I complained to the dealer but they just dismissed it after the 'road test'. The rattling is just really bad. With how bad the Chicago streets are, it is just a constant rattle until i get to my destination. If anyone has a solution or additional ideas I am all ears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SEAT Rattle Sonata SE

I have a 2012 Sonata SE non-turbo and I have a rattling passenger seat. I have visited the dealership 3 times to pinpoint and try to have the issue resolved. The last time I visited them the service manager was nice enough to create a case with hyundai engineer and he told me he can't do anything else until he hears back from Hyundai since replacing the seat is $2K. Going to visit them in a couple weeks, lets see if Hyundai stands behind its warranty.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Add me to the list of people with a rattling passenger seat. If I press against the seatback it stops, or if someone is in the seat it doesn't rattle. Otherwise it is there, and really bad in colder weather. At one point, I brought the seatback as far forward as it would go, then immediately reclined it is far down as it would go, and then put it back in a normal position. That stopped the rattle for several weeks, but it has since come back.

·
Registered
859 Posts
there is only 1 part that i see that can stop making a noise when you press on the upper section of the passenger seat. #3 in the attached photo. take off #2 and inspect #3

Auto part Automotive lighting Diagram Automotive tail & brake light Automotive engine part

or by applying pressure on the back you may be moving the track which could be stopping the noise...

Good morning, all,

my '13 GLS has recently developed a rattle in the passenger seat. I know that's what it is, because if someone is sitting in the seat, or I press against the seatback, the rattle stops.

I'm sure this is being magnified by the absolutely horrible roads left behind by the "winter wonderland" we've had, but I'm not sure I can continue to drive 46 miles twice a day without thinking about running the car into a telephone pole.

Short of a trip to the dealer, can anyone direct me to the most expeditious way to resolve this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a similar issue, but it's slightly different in that I get a squeak from my center console ONLY when someone sits in the passenger seat. I still haven't figured that one out yet...

I, too, have seen the passenger seat shake quite a bit when nobody is in it but it hasn't caused a rattle there yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same rattle in my 2012. Turns out the framing inside the seat was loose, so they just replaced the entire thing. I think they had my car a week, but it was worth it to get ride of the noise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know this is going to sound weird, but check both the driver and passenger's seat belt locking module. It's connected to your seat by a bolt and that bolt may need to be oiled. If it's not oiled, when driving, it may make rattle like noises during breaking and acceleration as well as over rough road surface. My 2013 squeaks and rattles and when I sprayed some lube onto those bolts, the noises went away. Now I'm not saying that this may be your case, but it's worth a shot I guess.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I've had my car for two months now and the rattling from the passenger seat is unbelievably annoying. I'm taking the car into the dealer next Friday but was wondering if anyone else was able to resolve their issue? The only fix I've found is to have a passenger sitting on the seat otherwise EVERY bump causes the horrific rattling sound. It's becoming unbearably bad...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I've had my car for two months now and the rattling from the passenger seat is unbelievably annoying. I'm taking the car into the dealer next Friday but was wondering if anyone else was able to resolve their issue? The only fix I've found is to have a passenger sitting on the seat otherwise EVERY bump causes the horrific rattling sound. It's becoming unbearably bad...
Take the back off and look inside. You'll probably find whatever makes this noise if you give it a little shake. And go from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same issue in my '11 sonata limited. It doesn't make any noise, the seat just shakes. I had my car aligned but that did not resolve the seat issue, maybe needs wheels balanced? It obviously doesn't affect the car, it's just annoying. My accord did the same thing.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My sonata has been doing the same thing for over a year. I complained to the dealer but they just dismissed it after the 'road test'. The rattling is just really bad. With how bad the Chicago streets are, it is just a constant rattle until i get to my destination. If anyone has a solution or additional ideas I am all ears.
As someone still driving an early build 2011 Sonata, i just keep the XM radio on "hair nation" and disregard the numerous squeaks and rattles. My passenger seat also shakes but it doesn't bother me. My 5 years is up at the end of next month and i am wondering if the powertrain warranty is enough to keep me in this YF model...The LF model bores me to tears although it is improved in NVH, just not looks or pizazz.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts