Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be an unusual issue, and I'm curious if any other owners have had this happen to them.

I have a 2017 VE and I use CarPlay with my iPhone 7Plus and an Apple Lightning cable. When I have my phone plugged in, and set it on the passenger seat after about 30 seconds, the passenger seat belt chime starts to sound. I remove the phone and set it in the cubby in front of the gear shift, and after about 5 seconds, the chime shuts off.

If I just set the phone on the seat when its not plugged into the system, nothing happens.

Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Not with a cell phone on mine, but a six pound laptop sure sets off that alarm, shop manual says it takes 20 pounds to close that pressure switch, seems to be a bit more sensitive than this. One way to keep it off is to attach the passenger seat belt.

I think they are using a membrane switch under that seat cover, much like a switch you will find on most mircrowave ovens. Two conductive aluminum foil surfaces separated by a small sealed air surface.

You can place your hand on it and judge how much pressure it takes to set it off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A phone seems really light to set this off, that's crazy. Nicholas is right, there is an occupant classification sensor under that seat that is used for the airbag system. Putting groceries on the seat may be enough to trick the vehicle into thinking there is something there that requires a seat belt, but a phone is a bit crazy. Also the fact that it doesn't happen unless the phone is plugged in also is strange. As it has to do with your airbags, I'd have that checked at the dealership.

·
Registered
349 Posts
When I have my phone plugged in, and set it on the passenger seat after about 30 seconds, the passenger seat belt chime starts to sound. I remove the phone and set it in the cubby in front of the gear shift, and after about 5 seconds, the chime shuts off.

If I just set the phone on the seat when its not plugged into the system, nothing happens.
That's weird :) and I'm with others who suggested you get it checked out. It should take more weight than the phone to set it off and I don't see why having it plugged in should make a difference.

FYI I had to get a seat belt clip to stop the chime when my dog is sitting in the front seat; it was driving me crazy. :eek:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an 18 Sport and I put my iPhone on the passenger seat this morning on its own and also plugged in. No seat belt chime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I totally want to test this out now! I'm going to do this this afternoon and report back. I'm wondering if there's some form of electrical interference that is causing the false alarm since you stated it doesn't happen when the phone is unplugged.

·
Registered
848 Posts
This may be an unusual issue, and I'm curious if any other owners have had this happen to them.

I have a 2017 VE and I use CarPlay with my iPhone 7Plus and an Apple Lightning cable. When I have my phone plugged in, and set it on the passenger seat after about 30 seconds, the passenger seat belt chime starts to sound. I remove the phone and set it in the cubby in front of the gear shift, and after about 5 seconds, the chime shuts off.

Anyone else run into this?
Yes. I had the very same thing happen to me on Friday, for the very first time. I would guess the cause is not weight-related, but caused by electronics and radio signals or interference. Since there was no message in the display ahead of me, only a blinking passenger light in the center console, I was puzzled for awhile as to what it was. When it went away after I moved the phone, I figured it out.

I don't think it's an issue that you have to investigate with the dealer. Just don't put your phone on the passenger seat! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Faulty seat mat. I processed quite a few of these while I worked at Hyundai. Take it to the dealer and show them. They'll take care of it.

·
22,788 Posts
Rarely does anyone sit in my passenger seat. So I’ve not had any issues with this. Yet!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yes. I had the very same thing happen to me on Friday, for the very first time. I would guess the cause is not weight-related, but caused by electronics and radio signals or interference. Since there was no message in the display ahead of me, only a blinking passenger light in the center console, I was puzzled for awhile as to what it was. When it went away after I moved the phone, I figured it out.

I don't think it's an issue that you have to investigate with the dealer. Just don't put your phone on the passenger seat! :)

Thing is, I have tossed my cell phone on the seat... nothing else there.. no chime. Definitely something to take to the dealer

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Rarely does anyone sit in my passenger seat. So I’ve not had any issues with this. Yet!

They just sit on YOUR seat while you're getting your tires changed. :p

Does you wife ever question why you need so many new tires/balancing/rotation and alignments?

How are you doing? Neither you nor I have been around much lately, it seems.

·
22,788 Posts
They just sit on YOUR seat while you're getting your tires changed. :p

Does you wife ever question why you need so many new tires/balancing/rotation and alignments?

How are you doing? Neither you nor I have been around much lately, it seems.
OC! Every time I turn a corner I run into myself. I should’ve done this retirement thing 50 years ago when I was 18. Sadly, I couldn’t finance it. LOL

CONCERTS, traveling, building stuff. Like that old song, “I’ve been everywhere, man...” And still going! Last Fall’s trip to the plant in Montgomery was truly amazing. I wasn’t a stranger to ISO, 5-S, JIT, Touch for Quality, Deming, ad nauseum...but None of those disciplines prepared me for the eye-popping things I would see at the Hyundai plant. I’m planning on going back. Back-to-back tours on two consecutive days, if they will let me.

Reactions: Old's Cool

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Hyundai calls this thing a "Occupant Classification System (OCS) Unit"

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/04/5d/ad/045dad631d2bb4284317fc49f867516e.jpg

Explains with replacement requires A GDS scanner to calibrate it.

Seat has to be removed, lower seat cushion cover removed to replace it, suggest you see your dealer.

Is required by law, and guaranteed to drive you insane with that beeping if your passenger does not fasten their seat belt. But nothing about fastening that seat belt either in front or at the rear of that passenger. Ha, always looking for loop holes.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Good question when this stuff required by law goes bad after the warranty is expired, who pays for it?

Kind of a friend with an Impala out of warranty is having problems with his, not the pressure switch, but the passenger seat belt switch that releases it. Not using a switch, but some kind of metallic sensor, my guess is a Hall Effect transistor that was soldered by a six year old kid in China with a rosin joint. Has a heat shrink cover on so for all practical purposes, its throwaway.

His dealer wants 180 bucks to replace it, but suggested he call that GM number and speak to somebody at the top, is a recall on some, but not on his VIN.Most people don't like to do this so pay the 180 bucks. His problem is went somebody is on the seat, keeps on beeping even with the seat belt attached.

Elantra just uses the word "Switch" but is it a mechanical switch or some kind of electronic type, only way to find out is to take it apart, it does feed into the BCM.

Wow, am I naughty, do not use my seat belt to back up the Limited to take it outside for washing, just get a mild ding ding. But if my wife is in the car while backing up the alarm is enough to wake up the dead.

1965 Buick came with seat belts, but was considered a luxury car, also had a collapsible steering wheel. Would not get these in a 1965 Mustang, considered that car to be a death trap, wasn't made law until 1968.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
OC! Every time I turn a corner I run into myself. I should’ve done this retirement thing 50 years ago when I was 18. Sadly, I couldn’t finance it. LOL

CONCERTS, traveling, building stuff. Like that old song, “I’ve been everywhere, man...” And still going! Last Fall’s trip to the plant in Montgomery was truly amazing. I wasn’t a stranger to ISO, 5-S, JIT, Touch for Quality, Deming, ad nauseum...but None of those disciplines prepared me for the eye-popping things I would see at the Hyundai plant. I’m planning on going back. Back-to-back tours on two consecutive days, if they will let me.
I figured you'd be back to work by now...;) I'm betting the guy who retired Thursday will be back at the end of the summer...

I tried retiring at 18 but found that it takes money to do so.

Nice info on the Montgomery plant. I'd love to see a car plant, but they closed all the ones close to me. :(

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
If you take apart the seat belt latch you should find a small sliding copper thing, slides up and down, remove it and the seat belt chime will never come on again.
Did it to my 06. The 06 chime came on just after starting the car even with it in park and never stopped until you buckled the belt. Annoying as hades.

·
22,788 Posts
I figured you'd be back to work by now...;) I'm betting the guy who retired Thursday will be back at the end of the summer...
I have developed a terminal case of optorectumitis. That’s a condition where the nerves in your eyes get crossed with the nerves in your butt. Hence, I can’t see my rear end ever going back to “working for the man.”

Aside from getting Nick’s diagnosis fixed, the recommendation to connect the seat belt on the passenger side is an option.

Reactions: Old's Cool

·
Registered
153 Posts
Use to happen to me all the time... Now the car is about a year old I find the sensor to not be as sensitive. Still happens from time to time but not as much as it use to.

·
Registered
349 Posts
remove it and the seat belt chime will never come on again. The 06 chime came on just after starting the car even with it in park and never stopped until you buckled the belt.
That would be seriously annoying. Fortunately my 2017 doesn't start chiming until the car is moving around 10-15 mph (and IIRC it turns off automatically after a couple of minutes). It was easy to get a buckle from eBay to plug in when I have the dog in the car. That way the chime can come on when there's a passenger in the seat and it actually matters :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts