Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The airbag light on my 05 Elantra cluster has been on for a while now, had the code read at regular garage and it is B1462 (PPD circuit open). But they didn't know the exact cause and suggested I go to the dealership. Service tech determined that the wires connecting the sensor are cut. It is clear that they were rubbing on a support brace for the seat (prob since 05!). Dealer wants $600 to replace it.

Is there any reason why I cannot extend and solder the wires back together? I am pretty handy with a soldering iron, and it is my understanding that the actual sensor is fine, just the wires that are the issue.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
PPD grid is stuck to top of seat cushion under the outer covering.. it has harness off front that turns down at front of seat.. the harness usually breaks there in the bend down right at the grid.

You will need to remove seat to a table top, and remove lower cushion/covering..

Take and look at the harness for the grid, if I recall, the pigtail is laminated with the mat where you will likely find the open circuit.

Use SHARPIE® to trace around the grid to locate in same position as before removal if you choose to replace it.

88906-2D000 @ $152.77 as seen at on-line vendor,, maybe $180 cash/carry at USA dealer, but I see you in Canada...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe i didn't explain properly. With the seat pushed all the way forward, i can see the two halves of the wire that are broken. So i would be soldering wire to wire. not wire to grid. If that didn't make sense i can take some pictures. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
maybe i didn't explain properly. With the seat pushed all the way forward, i can see the two halves of the wire that are broken. So i would be soldering wire to wire. not wire to grid. If that didn't make sense i can take some pictures. Thanks!
Resoldering them isn't the problem. It is to get the stupid computer to accept the reset sometimes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soldered them back together. Took it to our regular garage for them to reset the code. $60 fix. 1/10th of the dealership price! I wont be going back there any time soon.

As a side note to other owners, take a look under your seats and make sure the wire doesn't rub on the seat supports. It was rubbing the same way on my driver seat, used a zip tie to keep them free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts