Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,

I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. The power window switch on the passenger side front door works to roll the window down, but it doesn't work to roll the window up.

The master control switch from the driver's seat can control the front passenger window just fine (rolls both up and down).

Any ideas as to how I can fix this? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Windows work both ways from driver side and only one way from passenger side....

My best thought is...the power window switch on passenger is faulty...open the door panel and clean the switch board....and check for any burning or alike.

Let me know back the results.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Common issues are cracked (cold) solder joints (passenger-side in this case) on the circuit board or switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, take the passenger door panel off and clean the switch? I would rather try replacing it. Does anyone have the part name and part number? My buttons are grey colored.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe, but FWIW this type of fault is more often caused by a fault within the driver's door switch, in my experience. A bypass test would confirm.
I don;t know how to do a bypass test. It costs $40 for a junkyard front window switch. I will just try replacing it and see what happens.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
I don;t know how to do a bypass test.
It's not that difficult :
Roll the window down, then confirm the passenger door switch wont roll it back up.

Next, disconnect the driver's door switch and use a couple of link wires (paper clips, perhaps) to link terminal 10 (ground) to terminals 9 & 11 as shown below.

Now try using the passenger door switch to roll the window up again. If it now works you know the passenger door switch is good, meaning it's the driver's door one that has failed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Roll the window down, then confirm the passenger door switch wont roll it back up.

Next, disconnect the driver's door switch and use a couple of link wires (paper clips, perhaps) to link terminal 10 (ground) to terminals 9 & 11 as shown below.

Now try using the passenger door switch to roll the window up again. If it now works you know the passenger door switch is good, meaning it's the driver's door one that has failed.

View attachment 441216
Does this have to do with the "window lock" switch on the drivers side panel?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

View attachment 441216
Thanks for the help.

I tested the front passenger window switch again today. The window went up 20% of the time..

I sprayed WD40 into the gaps around the passenger window switch. I gave switch a few toggles to circulate the penetrant. The window went up 40% of the time.

I waited 3 hours and sprayed some more WD40. The window now goes up 95% of the time. It looks like a bad contact on the passenger window switch. I will monitor the switch a for a few days to see if it fails again.

You can also rule out the passenger switch by testing it with the continuity function of a multimeter. A link to the guide is below. Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
Does this have to do with the "window lock" switch on the drivers side panel?
No.
If the lock switch was faulty the passenger door window wouldn't roll down. And neither would the rear door windows, so we already know the window lock switch isn't the cause of the OP's problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
AUTOSPARK
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing