Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front and rear blinker bulb on the passenger side stay lit in my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe even after I shut the car off. Both bulbs work, and to keep them from staying on I removed the bulbs. The interior indicator light for the right turn signal stays lit with the vehicle off and keys out still. Anyone else have this problem and anyone have a solution to fix this? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
1) Is it dim like the "parking" light is on or bright like the blinker is on?

2) Does the light stay the same when the car is on or off?

3) Does the blinker act normally when the car is on? (Does the blinker indicator turn off and on when using your right blinker?)

An easy first step would be to try swapping the blinker relays. If the problem moves to the other side, then your relay is bad; cheap, easy fix.

Reactions: mjdegn

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had a similar problem once and the suggestions to me were to check after market items on the vehicle such as remote starter. I checked that and it was okay, so then I checked my trailer wiring harness and that was the problem. Once I disconnected the harness behind the drivers side rear tire (need to get under the vehicle to get to it) my problem was resolved. So I simply bought a new Curt plug-in harness and installed it and have not had any issues since.

Here's the post:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/cm-20...e-turn-signal-stuck-%93%94-2010-santa-fe.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1) The blinker is solidly lit bright as if the blinker is on

2) The lights stay the same when the car is on and off

3) No the blinker does not work, when I turn the passenger blinker on it will click once and not do anything.

Could you tell me where the blinker relays are? I was looking in the fuse panel in the engine compartment but couldn't identify which relays were for the blinkers.

Thank you, forgeinaz!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a trailer wiring harness installed so I will give that a shot as well later today before I head to work.

Thank you, scknf!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Likely a bad trailer harness converter, if you're lucky. Otherwise a number of other issues may cause this weird problem.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
1) The blinker is solidly lit bright as if the blinker is on

2) The lights stay the same when the car is on and off

3) No the blinker does not work, when I turn the passenger blinker on it will click once and not do anything.

Could you tell me where the blinker relays are? I was looking in the fuse panel in the engine compartment but couldn't identify which relays were for the blinkers.

Thank you, forgeinaz!
The relays should be found in the fuse box in the engine bay usually under a cover near the battery. Should be a label on the underside of the lid.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I wanted to install LED turn signal lights so I turned on the turn signal one day and tried to follow the sound of the flasher click. I drew the conclusion that it's buried out of reach somewhere around the instrument cluster, so far up it can't be seen or reached by a normal human arm from the bottom of the dash assembly. If you turn on your left signal and follow the sound of the flasher, you'll know what I mean.

Since the problem exists on one side but not the other, it's peculiar to that side. Consider corroded turn signal/parking light sockets front and/or rear, or corroded grounds.

Help us help you. Go to your profile and fill in all information marked by a pencil icon. This info will show up in the left margin. It helps to know where you are as well as what you drive.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Oh well he hasn't reported back with the trailer harness a the fault. Its the easiest to start with. I wonder if his front element is also on or not. If not then not the flasher for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't gotten to trying out the wiring harness to see if that was the problem, had just got down to remove it and it started pouring. Poor weather now and all weekend so I'll have to wait 'till Monday to try. I was also going to remove the blinker socket and look around that to see if its got corrosion. One of my coworkers say that might be it.

I'll get back to you guys on Monday and let you know if it solved the problem.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Oh well he hasn't reported back with the trailer harness a the fault. Its the easiest to start with. I wonder if his front element is also on or not. If not then not the flasher for sure.
He said one side works, one doesn't, so the flasher is good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright I finally got a chance to look at it. I put the bulbs back in and it worked like normal for about 5 minutes. Then the problem started again and I smelled a burning plastic in my car. It started working normally again and I was testing it out with the car on making sure it worked properly.

When I shifted into drive I was testing it out some more, I turned my driver side blinker on and both blinkers came on. The passenger side blinker was really dim when it blinked though. Then I heard a click and put my car in park, now I can not shift out of park and my brake lights do not illuminate when applied. I am thinking it is the mechanism against the brake pedal that registers when my brakes are pressed, however neither blink works and my traction control is now permanently off. I am going to take it into the Hyundai dealership Monday and get it checked out, obviously there is something going wrong with the electrical system.

I appreciate all the feedback and help from you guys, thank you!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,655 Posts
Then I heard a click and put my car in park, now I can not shift out of park and my brake lights do not illuminate when applied.
I'd guess the click you hear was the STOP LP fuse on the dashboard fusebox popping.

Did you get around to disconnecting the trailer hitch wiring? That seems to be the one place where both turn signal circuits and the brake light circuit all come together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts