Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past month, i've started to notice a rattling noise/ticking coming from the front passenger door/"B" pillar area of the SFS.
More so on bumpier roads... so i'm sure something has come loose somehow....

Has anyone else had this? Just curious before I call the dealer for them to have a peek at it.

·
2,258 Posts
Over the past month, i've started to notice a rattling noise/ticking coming from the front passenger door/"B" pillar area of the SFS.
More so on bumpier roads... so i'm sure something has come loose somehow....

Has anyone else had this? Just curious before I call the dealer for them to have a peek at it.
is its a squeeking noise (like plastic on plastic rubbing) or is it a legit rattle? check your door pocket, as thats most often the culprit. also check inside the glove box. (try driving with the glove box open. someone in the LWB claims to have this issue: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/277-dm-2013-lwb-7-seater-models/164413-glove-box-rattle.html)

make sure you really search for the noise, otherwise the dealer will write it up as "unfounded" or "unable to duplicate".

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only so much I can do while driving... but so far, i've moved around the passenger seat, put pressure on it... still ticking....
Then pressed up against the door panel... still ticking...
Held the seat belt and pressed up against the moveable seat belt height adjustment thing.... stil ticking.

I'll try the glovebox, although I've narrowed it down to the back most part of the front passenger door, the b pillar, or the front most part of the rear passenger door. it's not plastic on plastic... it's almost like a fast ticking noise... but not constant - really gets going over bumps/bumpy roads etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Am guessing that you have checked the obvious by checking the tires for a rock that may have gotten stuck in a groove. That can cause a ticking noise & picks up speed as the car moves faster. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Am guessing that you have checked the obvious by checking the tires for a rock that may have gotten stuck in a groove. That can cause a ticking noise & picks up speed as the car moves faster. Just a thought. :)
+1. Had that happen to me and drove me nuts until walking past my passenger right tire, and what do I see? A screw head sticking out of my tread. Thankfully, the screw was short and was in the tread portion so no impact to my tire. Pulled it out and ticking gone.

Long shot, but you may want to check all your tires for anything stuck in the tread, even a rock as ditey suggests.

And i know this is also a long shot, but I have been amazed how sound travels. under the passenger seat, there is the air vent for 2nd row. Just about anything can fall through the carpet where the vent comes out and land on the metal floor below causing ticking, especially if metal.

Final point, I had a ticking sound coming from rear of my Highlander. After weeks of frustration I was lowering the 3rd row and a glimmer from something underneath the 3rd row seat caught my eye. Found a 12 mm socket that must have fallen in there at the factory. It had Japanese writing on it. Pulled it out and problem gone.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys... but no, it's not that kind of sound - and yes, i've had several little rocks/pebbles stuck in my tires - which a repetitive sound as your drive, this is more sporatic....
Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this before going to the shop.

·
2,258 Posts
i've had an annoying loud squeaking noise coming from the rear (in my other suv):

its been going on for about 3 months now. but i would only remember to 'find it' while driving. well finally today it drove me nuts. i searched the whole interior, nothing. turns out its the lift gate. i opened the lift gate and thought it was the cheesy plastic molding on the door. its not the molding. its the darn lift gate strut/mount. after wiggling the lift gate it came from the left/driver side strut mount. ill spray some silicone oil (safe on plastics) on the strut itself and strut mounting, and the the lift gate mount. will see what happens. i also adjusted the rubber grommets to help seat the lift gate a little better.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
i've had an annoying loud squeaking noise coming from the rear (in my other suv):

its been going on for about 3 months now. but i would only remember to 'find it' while driving. well finally today it drove me nuts. i searched the whole interior, nothing. turns out its the lift gate. i opened the lift gate and thought it was the cheesy plastic molding on the door. its not the molding. its the darn lift gate strut/mount. after wiggling the lift gate it came from the left/driver side strut mount. ill spray some silicone oil (safe on plastics) on the strut itself and strut mounting, and the the lift gate mount. will see what happens. i also adjusted the rubber grommets to help seat the lift gate a little better.
Yep, had this as well on a vehicle many moons ago. After trying spray, grease etc, only resolution was to replace the struts under warranty, which resolved the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same noise sounding like it was coming from the rear door on the passenger side. Turned out to be the plastic flap under the car in front of the rear wheel. Looks like the bottom of a mug flap but in front of the wheel well. It was loose, see if your's is. The dealer took care of it at my oil change. Noise gone.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dauberman... no, i'm still dealing with it. I was on vacation for the last week and a half - so I let it go, but need to look more into it.
I'll let you know what I find.
I really feel as if it's something inside the door...

Wellington: I'll be sure to check that front mud flap - I know that the exact same thing on the drivers side was loose when I picked up my SFS in Feb - needed tightening. This is a different sound then that was - but worth a shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks photecs...

The ticking/rattling noise is driving me nuts. I'm waiting to see if my car gets recalled for the axle before bringing it into the dealer to have them check it out to avoid making multiple trips.

The ticking/rattling noise should be covered by the warranty, correct? My car has about 9.5k miles on it and at the last oil change, they mentioned that almost everything is covered up to 12k, but after that, it becomes more limited...

Its's been sort of a love/hate thing with the car. I really like the car but so far they've had to replace the A/C evaporator at 3k and now this ticking/rattling noise is driving me nuts...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dauberman...
Nothing is perfect, whether built by man or machine.
I have 15k on my SFS now in 6 months. Had the rocking seat issue - which they fixed and it came back within 2 days, but overall - it's a great ride. I think we have chalk your A/C to fluke - I don't think I've seen that come up much on this forum.....

Maclover... my ticking is not steady, or on just turns - it's all the time, but more so on bumpy roads - which only says it's something "loose".
We'll see what I have time to get it in what It could be.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found it!!

Ok, I'm driving yesterday down a bumpy road, the rattle just wouldn't let up... it was a little louder then normal - and I found the problem... kinda.

It's the passenger door panel - When I press up against the armrest of the passenger door (away from me, pushing towards the exterior of the door) it goes away.
So either something is loose, or a clip came undone...

Funny enough, I was pushing down on the armrest on the passenger door weeks ago when this started with no luck... all I had to do was push it against the door, not down on it.
I'm calling the dealer now to see if this will be covered for them to look at it/fix it.

·
2,258 Posts
to the DIY types:
1. go buy some felt tape or foam tape.
2. remove the door panel and look for obvious signs of rubbing.
3. place the tape around the edges of the door panel
4. lube the contact spots for any plastic clips with TEFLON SILICONE (not petroleum) oil

·
Registered
16 Posts
The rattling/ticking seems to be coming from the "B Pillar" of the passenger side (where the seat belt "pulls" out from). I noticed that it is definately more pronounced when the weather is hot...

Is there a DIY somewhere that will show me how to take apart the B pillar section?

·
Registered
870 Posts
The rattling/ticking seems to be coming from the "B Pillar" of the passenger side (where the seat belt "pulls" out from). I noticed that it is definately more pronounced when the weather is hot...

Is there a DIY somewhere that will show me how to take apart the B pillar section?
I've heard that one before. But wiggling the seat belt a little did the trick and I haven't heard it again. It was really annoying too.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

That's where I thought it was coming from too... but I pushed against the b pillar, the seat belt adjusting part, pulled the belt out all the way etc... still ticking.

Obviously yours could be completely different then mine - but mine is for sure the front passenger door panel/armrest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm finally taking the car into the dealer tomorrow to have them check out the creaking/rattling noise coming from the passenger side B pillar..

I'll keep you guys posted.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts