Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH has a 2010 4dr. I don't ride in it very often, but the last few times I have been in it, I have noticed that when I'm sitting in the passenger seat, the air bag light says "Off", meaning that the air bag will not deploy in case of accident. We took it in and they said that there was nothing wrong with it. They stated that I have to be sitting upright with my feet on the floor to make sure that the vehicle registers someone is sitting in the seat. They also stated that the passenger also has to weigh over 80 lbs. I told the guy that I'm at 140, so weight shouldn't be a problem and that I don't have a choice but to sit upright since we have 2 carseats in the back seat and there is no way I can recline that seat.

Has anyone else had a problem with their passenger air bag light? It concerns me that this car has just over 4000 miles on it and already having this problem.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have had this problem since day 1. The 1 time I took it in for a free oil change around 7k miles (in the middle of winter), they could not duplicate the problem.

It does not happen EVERY time I have a passenger (I usually don't), but it definately happens a few times a week.

I prefer doing my own maintenance so the car has not been back to the dealer since. Perhaps its something a little DIY wiring can fix, since the dealer hasnt been able to help...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same here. My wife who weighs 95lbs, it's hit and miss if the light stays on or off. I'm 170lbs and it always works as advertised if I'm in the seat. I wonder if there have been any accidents where someone has been hurt from it not going off? It does seem like a design flaw or something. Set the threshold for it to be off at like 50lbs or something Hyundai.

What is the purpose of that anyways? To save the insurance company $600 or so bucks in an accident? If I'm involved in an accident forceful enough to deploy the airbags, last thing I'm going to think about is " I just saved the insurance company money not having to replace the airbag!" Besides, if the accident is bad enough to deploy the airbags the poor Accent is probably totaled anyway...lol.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Sort of related:

I installed a different radio last week, and in my infinite wisdom started the car while the fascia air bag harness was unplugged... I've driven 900 miles in the last 3 days and the red Airbag light still won't go out. I asked my dealership if they could clear the code and they said "Yes, but we'd have to charge you".. I asked AutoZone and they said "No, that's a federal offense"... wtf can I do? I pulled the ECU out for 30 mins and put it back in.. no luck.. maybe disconnect the battery, so it resets the BCU (body control unit) too?

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,854 Posts
 QUOTE (nascarfan7 @ Jun 25 2010, 05:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336179
What is the purpose of that anyways?
Probably the main function of OCS is for the parents who refuse to heed the warnings in the owner's manual and plastered all over the car that state their children should not be sitting behind explosive devices that can seriously injure or kill them. :whistling:  Also, small adults can be severely injured by an air bag -- in some cases it's safer for them to not have one...  

The cost savings are merely an added bonus.  Once they total your car, someone makes a quick buck selling your undeployed air bags on the black market. :grin:

The dealers have been asking people with other Hyundai models to bring the person to the dealer that's affected by the car's OCS issues.  They send the passenger seat cushion off to California for "reprogramming."  It's been a big issue on the Elantra and Sonata, never really heard much about it on the Accent until now.

Blood, the memory in the SRSCM is not volatile, disconnecting the battery probably won't help clear anything out.  Generally once a code is set you're forced to have it cleared with a Hyundai scan tool. 

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I just don't understand why, if it's a federal offense for anyone other than the dealer to clear codes, the dealership would be able to charge money for doing it. Just doesn't really make much sense to me. Seems kinda like extortion.

I wonder if I can call around different Hyundai dealerships and see if any of them will do it for free. Like, there's absolutely no reason for them to check out the SRS. I know that my having had the harness unplugged with the car on is the reason. I just need it cleared. Not much labor involved with that, I would imagine.

·
1,565 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Jun 27 2010, 05:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336616
I just don't understand why, if it's a federal offense for anyone other than the dealer to clear codes, the dealership would be able to charge money for doing it. Just doesn't really make much sense to me. Seems kinda like extortion.

I wonder if I can call around different Hyundai dealerships and see if any of them will do it for free. Like, there's absolutely no reason for them to check out the SRS. I know that my having had the harness unplugged with the car on is the reason. I just need it cleared. Not much labor involved with that, I would imagine.
My dealer did it free when I went in for maintenance. Didn't even ask. They said they cleared my exhaust code, and it was from my headers. Done and done.

Of course the light came back on soon after leaving, but that's a different story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts