Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you all go for trusted parts and accessories? I'm new to the Hyundai brand (and very happy with the quality) but I do like to be different than the other Sonatas on the road.

Amazon is the obvious choice but I'm looking for sites that give me ideas of what can be done to my vehicle.

Thanks for your opinions and input in advance!

Happy New Year as well!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I usually venture on eBay or Aliexpress, most of my items are from there.

Although I haven't tried AliExpress.

You can search with your year model or putting LF Sonata on the search bar.

Reactions: marmfield

·
Registered
772 Posts
What parts are you looking for? There are a bunch of other random sites that carry Sonata products depending on what it is you’re looking for. If anything, i usually google “(car part) Sonata hyundaiforums” and it will lead me to a thread of another member reviewing or explaining the part and installation, as well as other members chiming in for where it was bought, coupons, etc etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually I have a few items that bother me.

I don't understand why the front dome lights are white led and the back dome are halogen.

What size are the lug nuts? I want a set of locking lugs but I can't seem to figure out the lug nut size. (I'm sure I'm going to get a RTFM post now). :O

Backup lights/license plate light replacements.

I purchased these headlights from Amazon, "Philips 9005 CrystalVision Ultra" but I'm not all that happy with them but they are brighter than the stock ones.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Actually I have a few items that bother me.

I don't understand why the front dome lights are white led and the back dome are halogen.

What size are the lug nuts? I want a set of locking lugs but I can't seem to figure out the lug nut size. (I'm sure I'm going to get a RTFM post now). :O

Backup lights/license plate light replacements.

I purchased these headlights from Amazon, "Philips 9005 CrystalVision Ultra" but I'm not all that happy with them but they are brighter than the stock ones.
m

My 2018 had all halogens, swapped them out for a set from Deautokey, works great. They also have a lifetime warranty, rather than all other companies i’ve seen with only 1 year or something. I’ve dealt with them since 2014 and have warrantied a bulb or two, no problem. Can give you details about how to order if you need.

Lugs are M12x1.5.

License plate lights i also got from deautokey. They have back up lights too but i didnt order them. You’d just have to tell them your bulb size and they should hook you up though.

Headlights, i got Morimoto HIDs. Much brighter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
m

My 2018 had all halogens, swapped them out for a set from Deautokey, works great. They also have a lifetime warranty, rather than all other companies i’ve seen with only 1 year or something. I’ve dealt with them since 2014 and have warrantied a bulb or two, no problem. Can give you details about how to order if you need.

Lugs are M12x1.5.

License plate lights i also got from deautokey. They have back up lights too but i didnt order them. You’d just have to tell them your bulb size and they should hook you up though.

Headlights, i got Morimoto HIDs. Much brighter.

Thanks for the Lug size, I appreciate it!

Any modification on the HIDs? I'm a bit electrically challenged when it comes to cars. :grin2:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks for the Lug size, I appreciate it!

Any modification on the HIDs? I'm a bit electrically challenged when it comes to cars. :grin2:
When I first started modding my cars, I had 0 knowledge of what/how to do anything. LOL These forums are invaluable honestly. For the HID's, you're gonna wanna get standalone canbus harnesses for our LF Sonata's. In my experience having both a relay harness and a standalone canbus, only the canbus allowed the HID's to function without any error messages or "lights out" warning on the dash. No modifications, just simple plug and play. Hardest part of the install was getting the bulbs to seat properly because it is going to be a tight squeeze, especially the driver's side headlight. Just take your time and make sure it is flush with the 3 tabs before twisting the bulb into place.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I first started modding my cars, I had 0 knowledge of what/how to do anything. LOL These forums are invaluable honestly. For the HID's, you're gonna wanna get standalone canbus harnesses for our LF Sonata's. In my experience having both a relay harness and a standalone canbus, only the canbus allowed the HID's to function without any error messages or "lights out" warning on the dash. No modifications, just simple plug and play. Hardest part of the install was getting the bulbs to seat properly because it is going to be a tight squeeze, especially the driver's side headlight. Just take your time and make sure it is flush with the 3 tabs before twisting the bulb into place.[/QUOTE]

I had to have my wife and her small hands install the driver's sight headlight I mentioned above. I couldn't get a good feel for what I was doing wrong with my big meathooks for hands.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Has anyone bought and installed this throttle body spacer on a 2.4l engine?

https://www.k5optimastore.com/produ...nata-throttle-body-spacer?variant=12006686020

I'm curious if it actually boost MPG like they claim.
I ordered one from ebay after putting a best offer for $45. I installed it on my 2018, but the new extended bolts were too long, so I went to Home Depot and got some extra 6mm washers to use up some extra space. When I installed them, there was a loud knock sound coming from the intake that wasn't there before. I took it off and am returning it lol

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,757 Posts
Has anyone bought and installed this throttle body spacer on a 2.4l engine?

https://www.k5optimastore.com/produ...nata-throttle-body-spacer?variant=12006686020

I'm curious if it actually boost MPG like they claim.
Dont waste your $. Spacers have always been controversial but that was when we had carburetors or injectors that provided mixing of air and fuel in the intake. Your GDI has the fuel injected directly into the combustion chamber, adding a 1/2-1" spacer will not do anything for your performance or economy other than a possible placebo effect because you spent $ and time on the project so you want it to make a difference.

If something that simple added significant or even measured mileage or performance the factory would add the 1/2" of spacer in the manufacture and design to boast better MPG or performance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If something that simple added significant or even measured mileage or performance the factory would add the 1/2" of spacer in the manufacture and design to boast better MPG or performance.
I sometimes wonder that as well but my brain had me thinking, "Why do they sell it if it does nothing". I guess I was having a "gullible" moment. Thanks for the clarity!

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,757 Posts
I sometimes wonder that as well but my brain had me thinking, "Why do they sell it if it does nothing". I guess I was having a "gullible" moment. Thanks for the clarity!
"They" will sell anything that will be purchased-doesn't mean it works. Look at all the "snake oil" products on the shelves at any auto parts store everything from engine rebuild in a can and on. One of the craziest things Ive seen and they seem to be selling a lot of them are these electric turbo chargers, there are hundreds of these "electric turbochargers" being sold on line and they dont work, if anything they restrict air.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-12V-16...ash=item238b1483dd:g:SugAAOSwhvFZHWCk&vxp=mtr

Dont jump into any gimmick, do a little research, ask a few mechanics / tuners etc. Even then a lot of mods are just placebo effect, but if it makes you happier with your ride that is what counts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Especially the ridiculous price on these things, The Korean Market where most of our aftermarket is $$$ even when hunting on ebay and aliexpress.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts