Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so I usually do slight enhancements, nothing extreme. Also driving in NYC i don't want to go over 17 anyway, so i had an idea to blackout the gunmetal and photoshopped it. I think they look pretty good and actually make them look bigger. Curious of the Sonatists thoughts. Shouldn't be more than 200 or 300 to do them professionally with gloss black

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thing is factory OEM rims are chosen for a reason, and they would compliment a car as best it can. Like those blades, they actually mirror the C pillar and lower chrome swoosh and the overall angle like elements of the car.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,602 Posts
I like the look. A little bit like the Accord wheels. I had a set of wheels off my C250 powder coated and it was $ 75 a wheel here in California. Lasted great.

Also Duplicolor makes wheel paint that is very durable. I would think that since you are blacking out the inside it would be difficult to spot any small imperfections if you did it your self. Clean them up good using wheel cleaner and then light scuffing with a scotch brite pad and clean and wipe with alcohol, mask the faces and spray them your self. Cost to do all 4 would be less than $ 50. Id go that route first. You can even do one side one day and the other another that way the car is not out of service. If you dont like it they have the stock colors and you can always repaint. of if you like them but dont like the out come you can always have them powder costed or professionally painted later.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the look. A little bit like the Accord wheels. I had a set of wheels off my C250 powder coated and it was $ 75 a wheel here in California. Lasted great.

Also Duplicolor makes wheel paint that is very durable. I would think that since you are blacking out the inside it would be difficult to spot any small imperfections if you did it your self. Clean them up good using wheel cleaner and then light scuffing with a scotch brite pad and clean and wipe with alcohol, mask the faces and spray them your self. Cost to do all 4 would be less than $ 50. Id go that route first. You can even do one side one day and the other another that way the car is not out of service. If you dont like it they have the stock colors and you can always repaint. of if you like them but dont like the out come you can always have them powder costed or professionally painted later.

oh to have that luxury again! unfortunately living in an apartment does not give me the chance to do these little hobbies anymore, but you're right. If I had the ability i would just do them myself. heck, I'd plastidip one just to see how it would look. Just like a rough draft lol

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,602 Posts
Yea, that is an idea. A can of plastidip less than $10 a trash bag to stuff behind the wheel andsome painter tape and you can do them on the car to see if you liked it. Im not a fan of plasti dip for the long haul, does not stand up no matter what people say you will have to redo or touch up to keep it looking good and even with the glossifier it does not have the surface or shine of paint.

In an apartment its hard but you could not get away with doing 1 at a time or 1 side to save time of the car being up on a jack. Id bet that less than 1.5 hr to do 2 wheels.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, that is an idea. A can of plastidip less than $10 a trash bag to stuff behind the wheel andsome painter tape and you can do them on the car to see if you liked it. Im not a fan of plasti dip for the long haul, does not stand up no matter what people say you will have to redo or touch up to keep it looking good and even with the glossifier it does not have the surface or shine of paint.

In an apartment its hard but you could not get away with doing 1 at a time or 1 side to save time of the car being up on a jack. Id bet that less than 1.5 hr to do 2 wheels.

well it's a NYC apartment, so I'd have to have half the rim outside the window lol. I've painted my rims myself in the passed and if you do the prep work they can come out very good. Especially with the quality paints out there and you're right, Plastidip does have it's applications but I'm not a fan of using them all over the place like I see alot of people do. I've also seen a lot of botched jobs around these parts so it's kind have effected the way i see plastidip.

·
Registered
515 Posts
so I usually do slight enhancements, nothing extreme. Also driving in NYC i don't want to go over 17 anyway, so i had an idea to blackout the gunmetal and photoshopped it. I think they look pretty good and actually make them look bigger. Curious of the Sonatists thoughts. Shouldn't be more than 200 or 300 to do them professionally with gloss black

Where in NYC are you? I’m in Staten Island and I agree that having bigger wheels can make the ride on the crappy roads less comfortable. I love the rendering though. I may have to do this myself when it’s time for winter mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.