Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 Hyundai has been a great car. Absolutely reliable, and trouble-free, economical with enough comfort and room for my needs. No complaints.
Well maybe one minor issue.
Hyundais of the vintage of mine ( 03) and older seem to collect more parking lot dings than other cars. I know mine has several dings. Its almost like the metal is just soft. For comparison, my 1982 Mercedes has about 1/4 million miles and has no dings anywhere on the body. It does have lower body plastic cladding, and maybe people parking next to a Mercedes take more care to not ding it, but I rather doubt that. The body side sheet metal just feels more substantial.
The Elantra has a ding in the hood caused by a falling acorn--I actually saw the acorn fall and cause the ding.

So the questions are---
Has anyone else noticed this?
Are newer Hyundais similarly affected, or did they make some change that improved it, somehow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
70 people have read this, and no other comments?

Am I the only one to notice this? Maybe its just me.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I've had my 09 Accent for a year and so far no dings (knock on wood).The 3 door hatch has no protective moldings on
the side to protect it so I try to park away from other cars in parking lots if possible. :grin: I'm sure the gauge of steel is
a little heavier on your Benz or maybe people just respect it a little more when they park next to it :innocent:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I've had my '04 Santa Fe since new and (knock on wood) have been VERY lucky with parking lot door dings. I have a small one on the tailgate but it doesn't bother me enough to spend the $90 to have paintless dent removal pull it out.

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
I've been fairly lucky with the Accent as far as the sheet metal goes, I've tried to be careful... Those oddly placed moldings on my doors have saved me a lot of heartache.  I do have a couple dings in the fender and one on the hood from a stray rock.  Nothing that the paintless place couldn't take care of (and replace every single piece of molding on the side... :mellow:)

I've had worse, I guess...  I creased the fender on the Vibe I used to own by simply leaning up against it, barely putting any weight on it.  The paintless dent guy had a field day working on that poor thing. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts