Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2007 Sonata GLS and have noticed on several (at least 6) occassions that the parking lights (front turn signal lamps and tail lights) as well as the instrument lights will stay on after turning off the car, removing key and locking it. Usually I flip the switch a few times and they'll go off and stay off. Today wasn't so easy. I'm guessing it's the switch but wanted to know if this is isolated case or more common before I take to Hyundai. The problem can't be "duplicated" when you want it to happen. Usually it's on colder mornings when coming to work.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
I had a similar anomaly after replacing my battery just lately. Couple years ago I modified my Fog Lights to perform as my DRL. The car's computer, after having the battery disconnected, didn't know how to approach the MOD, so it kept the electrical system running even after I turned the engine off and locked the car....

Read my thread:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...c=42962&hl=

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (chipper513 @ Jan 13 2010, 08:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=290284
I have 2007 Sonata GLS and have noticed on several (at least 6) occassions that the parking lights (front turn signal lamps and tail lights) as well as the instrument lights will stay on after turning off the car, removing key and locking it. Usually I flip the switch a few times and they'll go off and stay off. Today wasn't so easy. I'm guessing it's the switch but wanted to know if this is isolated case or more common before I take to Hyundai. The problem can't be "duplicated" when you want it to happen. Usually it's on colder mornings when coming to work.

i have had it happen to me also but they only stayed on if i opened the passenger door (to get something from glovebox) without opening drivers door - strange i know but it doesnt happen any other time

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's crazy, I know on mine if I leave the key fully in the ignition and the switch on parking lights, they will stay on. I have to just pull the key out just a little and then they will go off once I open the door!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this exact problem, also with a 2007 Sonata! My battery has drained twice in the last few months, and a few days ago I saw my lights stay on after I turned off and locked my car even though I had the light switched to the "off" position. Of course the dealership couldn't replicate it and told me everything was fine. Well, it happened again today and I took a video! Hopefully that convinces them to do something. Can I have them disconnect the parking ights? If they do that, will all the other light settings e.g. "auto" work normally?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found the solution. I had the tail light replaced at my cost prior to the recall, the switch on the left side of the steering wheel and other fixes that did not work. The solution should be that the relay for the tail light and parking lights is bad. This is located in the fuse box in the dash right above your left knee of the driver. Since the relay is integrated into the fuse box, this means you must replace the entire fusebox in order just to replace the defective relay. Not an inexpensive fix. My battery and starter went bad on this issue before I found out what the problem was. You will also find that when you turn your lights on and off you hear the relay click. When it does not go off and gets stuck no click is heard. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2006 has done the similar thing lately. Parking lights sometimes stay on after car is off and locked... and key fob locking will not cause lights to flash. I must turn the stalk back to "parking lights on" and off again to shut them off.

If you read the manual it contains a blurb ... something about automatic parking lights run by the dash sensor, supposedly opening the drivers door when you exit shuts them off. Could this be the source of the problem? It's not working right or are we are not operating it right?

The salesman at the dealer tried it and thought it might be the light switch or the sensor... but... Now this evening it worked fine so wth?

Lights should not be so complicated. Anyone talked to Hyundai or know what's going on besides the fuse explanation?

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Based on my experience (see above), if I were you I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes, let the computer reset, and see if it happens again....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been victim to this issue since I bought my car in Jan 07 (Sonata 06 GLS). I brought the car in under the full warranty, but of course it couldn't be replicated. It happens off and on, at least once or twice a week. I ALWAYS have to check my lights after I leave my car, otherwise my battery will be drained by the end of the day. Very annoying, but I've lived with it for years.

Wonder if mrmc357 is correct that the entire fusebox needs to be replaced in order to resolve it? My taillights have recently died and all fuses & the bulbs are fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Parking lights stay on on my 06 as well is it a relay switch problem? Dealer played dumb and said he never heard of this before?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had the same parking light problem w/ my 07 GL last fall. I replaced the Low Beam Headlight Relay (In the power distribution panel - aka fuse box under the hood). I swapped the High Beam Relay w/ the Low Beam to see if it helped. For me it seems to have solved the problem. I can't use the High Beams where I live - the police prohibit their use entirely - the High Beams are a non-issue with the bad relay.

I haven't had the problem return since swapping the relay. You can buy a new relay at the Dealer for $$ if you prefer. Take the old one with you to assure you get the right part number.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Parking lights stay ON

Hi All,

I am having same problem. Today I went out to do some shopping and when came back to parking saw my parking lights ON. I tried turning it OFF by moving the light switch to OFF - ON - AUTO but no help. Also when I started the car wipers got ON even at OFF mode. I spent half an hour trying ON-OFF but couldn't turn parking lights OFF.

Wipers turn ON automatically when I start the car but when car is OFF and Light switch is at OFF wipers turn OFF, parking lights still ON.

Please suggest me what could be wrong.

AK

·
Registered
16 Posts
I noticed today that of I left my keys in the ignition and light were set to full on... They stayed on even after getting out and washing the car... So I'm wondering if the key sensor in the ignition switch is going wonky.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Slim I have noticed the same thing on my 2007 Sonata GLS. If I cycle my headlight / parking lights, every other time it will stay on or shut off. I also have an issue with th ignition switch. If you turn it off, then as you pull the key out of the ignition, you should hear it click. If it does not then recycle the switch by turning it on and off.

My girlfriend just turns off the lights every time. Unfortunately for me I am on my 3rd Elantra GT an also owned a Santa fe which all have the auto switch and turn off when the key is pulled out of the ignition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
spray some wd40

try spraying some wd40 in the key hole...

if not mistaken, there's a switch in the keyhole.. perhaps the switch might be stucked causing the switch to on then when u open the driver's door, the lights will stay on...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
try spraying some wd40 in the key hole
DON'T DO THIS!!! WD-40 has been known to ruin a lockset. Use a graphite spray that's made specially for locks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I hope this helps someone even though this is an old post.

The tail lamp relay is sticking. It stays stuck in the on position when you turn the car off, providing power to your tail and parking lamps. If you cycle the switch on and off a few times, the energizing coil will jostle the switch in the relay enough to open it. Worse case scenario, the lights eventually always stay on.

The tail lamp relay is located in the passenger compartment fuse block which is behind a panel on the left side of the dash.

Here's the problem. The relay is integral. That means its a part of the circuit board in fuse block. To resolve this issue, you need to buy a new fuse block.

Alternatively, you can cut the wires that go into and out of the fuse block and wire in an external relay. This is what I did and my lights work as intended. The instrument gauge illumination gets it's power through the same circuit so you have to throw that circuit into the mix also. I am however a mechanic and felt comfortable doing this. I do not recommend you start cutting wires, just get the fuse block.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just started having this problem last two days. Think for me its a relay/sensor related to the brake pedal. I depressed the brake pedal all the way and pulled back against it (towards me) and the light went out. See if that works until I find out more about this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hope this helps someone even though this is an old post.

The tail lamp relay is sticking. It stays stuck in the on position when you turn the car off, providing power to your tail and parking lamps. If you cycle the switch on and off a few times, the energizing coil will jostle the switch in the relay enough to open it. Worse case scenario, the lights eventually always stay on.

The tail lamp relay is located in the passenger compartment fuse block which is behind a panel on the left side of the dash.

Here's the problem. The relay is integral. That means its a part of the circuit board in fuse block. To resolve this issue, you need to buy a new fuse block.

Alternatively, you can cut the wires that go into and out of the fuse block and wire in an external relay. This is what I did and my lights work as intended. The instrument gauge illumination gets it's power through the same circuit so you have to throw that circuit into the mix also. I am however a mechanic and felt comfortable doing this. I do not recommend you start cutting wires, just get the fuse block.
I have had this issue for a few months, then I came visiting here, and also, not sure where anymore, but I found the attached scheme. I sent my mechanic the above info and the scheme, he got an external relay, spent a good couple hours on my car —— and IT'S FIXED NOW!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts