Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't use the parking brake on my 2012 very often. I engaged it in my garage recently when doing some work on the car. When I was done I released the foot lever, but when I went to back the car out, it was evident that the brake was still engaged.

I was able to get it to release by driving forward and reverse about 4-5 times, and I haven't engaged it since. But it will no doubt get worse, so I want to repair it.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Each situation is different, but the most common issue I've seen in the rust belt is rusted "levers". Basically the parking brake cable wheel end attached to a lever that pivots and applies the shoes. When it sticks, the shoes drag. If caught early enough, you can work them back and forth while applying a penetrating lubricant and restore there motion. Then apply a proper lube to help keep them moving. You'll need to remove the rear rotors to access these. May need to use a punch and hammer to restore them to their initial position to allow for rotor removal.

Replacement isn't the most enjoyable process.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I had the rear rotors replaced a couple years ago by a shop, one of the few things on this car I didn't do myself. They are a real pain to do at home. I'll probably take it in and ask them to check/lubricate the E brake, if that's the issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts