Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't move my 2013 Santa Fe off the drive. Tried resetting by keeping switch pressed, rocking car, disconnecting battery to reset system. No joy. Local garage plugged in to Diagnostics but couldn't find anything. apparently there is no release / override on this model!

Has anybody had this issue and been able to fix it? Can it only be accessed/ reset by a Hyundai dealer?

·
Registered
182 Posts
This has been happening to my wife's 2014....but ours is mechanical and released by pressing the parking brake. Are you saying your parking brake is activated via push button?

Maybe this will help:

Okay, no replies or responses. Hopefully that a good thing and it tells me that this was an isolated incident.

Reading directly from my work invoice for repairs at the Hyundai dealer, it reads the following:

VERIFIED CUSTOMER CONCERN. VEHICLE TOWED IN AND EMERGENCY PARKING BRAKE LOCKED AND UNABLE TO RELEASE.

ELECTRONIC ACTUATOR NOISY AND UNABLE TO MANUALLY RELEASE PARKING BRAKE.

SCANNED VIA GDS AND FOUND C1270 C1642 AND C2402 ACTIVE. TECH LINE CASE 6127421. NOTED ALL CODES TO EPB MODULE AND MODULE INTERNAL FAILURE. NOTED BUZZING FROM MODULE PRESENT EVEN WHEN NOT OPERATING.

WORKING PERFORMED.
Installed 59700-3M900 :pARKING BRAKE ASSY-ELECTR59 Qty: 1
PARTIALLY REMOVED REAR SUSPENSION TO ACCESS EPB MODULE. REMOVED AND REPLACED EPB MODULE AND REINSTALLED COMPENENTS. CLEARED SYSTEM VIA GDS AND TESTED VEHICLE. ALL OK AND WORKING.

After talking with the service manager at the Hyundai dealer, I may have been using my EPB {Electronic Parking Brake} the wrong way.

As with all my previous cars, because I live in an area with hills and a sloping driveway, I would always apply my emergency brakes to prevent pre-mature failure to my transmission.

Method of applying parking brakes: while keeping my foot on the brake pedal, I would put my transmission in neutral. Once this was done, I would apply the parking brake (depending on the car, either with the foot pedal or hand lever). After the parking brake was applied, I would take my foot off of the brake pedal to assure me that my car was resting of the parking brakes and not the transmission.

With the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB), the service manager told me to stop the car, keep my foot on the brake pedal, move the shifter to the park (P) position and than push the EPB button. He said that the EPB was only to assist with the transmission and not designed to hold the car in a fixed position (even on a hill) if it was applied before putting your car in park. It would not hold your car in position at all in for some reason you left your car in neutral (it would roll).

I have never heard of that, especially with the mechanical (cable) parking brake.

Hopefully this does not happen again or to anyone else.

https://www.genesisforums.com/forums/sedan-general-discussion/889-electronic-parking-brake-failure.html

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Electric parking brakes. The solution to a problem that never existed.....GM has them also..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cessna FlyBoy, I did search for previous posts and found that one. Unfortunately I don't believe we have been applying the brake incorrectly as per that case and it doesn't show if there is a way to release. It seems to me to be a required safety measure to be able to override a stuck parking brake in the event of an incident which requires the vehicle be moved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks SVTfocus03

Where did those instructions come from? I don't understand them as they say "with engine running" shift from N to R or D and then say "1) START ENGINE"???

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Well, those instructions are convoluted as heck. That is not a back up system. Most manufacturers have their systems set up to release the parking brake automatically when the shifter is in any gear range and the throttle is depressed. There is no requirement for any back up system to release the brake beyond trying to do so mechanically in the shop as far as I know. I have never seen any back up system in any of the GM vehicles.

If your parking brake is stuck on...Short of having a shop manual or a Hyundai Tech giving you instructions on how to manually / mechanically release it.....I'd suggest you go through a repair facility you are comfortable with rather than risk damaging something beyond what has already failed.

Again....A solution for a problem that never existed. I hate stuff like that.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts