Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Elantra sedan sport manual with the four wheel disk brakes. Twice in the past year the parking brake has stuck in the engaged position. The handle moves down, but the brake stays engaged. Rocking the car back and forth freed it this morning but it was still not 100% disengaged until I drove a bit further. I also hit the calipers with a hammer though I don't think that did much. Any idea what could be wrong? How does the parking brake work on this car? Does it use the disk brake on the rear wheels or is it a different pad?

I think I am going to take it to the shop and request service on the parking brake. Any guesses on what they will do?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,702 Posts
How does the parking brake work on this car? Does it use the disk brake on the rear wheels or is it a different pad?
The parking brake is usually brake shoes inside a drum in the hub of the rear discs.

recon9 said:
Any guesses on what they will do?
They'll probably just strip and clean them. But getting the rear discs off can be a huge PITA if the parking brake has been getting neglected during the previous services.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
This car has what is called a drum in hat style parking brake, where you have a drum style cable engaged parking brake shoes inside of a disk brake. If it's sticking it is either a corroded/failed cable, rust build up, lack of lubrication, etc. Most likely you will want to get the shoes and hardware replaced and lubricated properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts