Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the stealership service dept for them to investigate a clicking noise in my wheels, turns out the parking brake shoes were worn off and the innards scraping around. They quoted me 500 and change to replace the shoes and the brake rotors saying the rotors were damaged.

I don't trust the stealership so I said no thank you and I'm taking it to a local auto repair shop for a 2nd opinion.

It seems unlikely to me that rotors could be damaged, anybody have opinions on that?

(2011 hyundai sonata GLS)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Yeah, the parking brake part can get scored. However...do you use your parking brake? I had similar problem and just backed off the pads using the star screw and have not looked back. I did replace the rotors as part of my brake job though with new primary utility pads.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Being I just did the parking brake shoes on my own car...

I would recommend that the rotors get replaced as well. Just like drums, they will develop a rust lip on the friction surface. Or machine them. TBH rotors are cheap enough it doesn't make sense to not do them.

I actually replaced EVERYTHING in the rear, calipers, hoses, pads, rotors parking brake shoes, hardware and Hubs. All of these parts gotta come off to do the job correctly. I think i spent less than 350 on parts from rockauto.com

EDIT: You could just remove the parking brake shoes parts that broke free (usually the bonding fails) and call it a day. But most state safety inspections require the parking brake to hold the car still with the car in drive.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
****! Replace calipers too? I just "maint" them. I do the hardware (caliper pins/pad shims/sliders), pads, rotors. Parking brake...meh on this car. Its life for us is almost done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts