Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the brake shoes on the parking brake on the XG30 are the same as on any other Hyundai/KIA? Asking since no of my normal dealers are listing these.

Cheers

Kent

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
in Europe the front and rear brake pads are the same as the Santa Fe.......so it would follow that the handbrake shoes are the same (but l can't be sure).........are you sure the shoes are worn out?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the hint, I'll start with taking the rear brakes apart.

Also, I have tried to find new brake wires - since I want to make sure the brakes are ok.

Cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in Europe the front and rear brake pads are the same as the Santa Fe.......so it would follow that the handbrake shoes are the same (but l can't be sure).........are you sure the shoes are worn out?
Well, got the rear disks off the car today. Totaly and compleatly rusted down, the adjustment screw was "solid", had to use a blowtorch and a hammer to get it movable again. The brake shoes where non existing, there where a very thin slice on one side, the other side had vaporized.

I guess these brakes have never been taken apart since the car was made. Considering how the looked. And also the brake shields on both sides where paper thinn rust, so they fell apart as i worked to get the brake disks off..

Have got new disks, now I need to find new hand brake shoes and mouting pins and stuff for them..

Good thing is, it can only get better! :cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to share a few pictures..

This is what I started with:

This is what the brake shield looked like a few minutes later..

After some "mild" violence I had the brake disk off.

Yup, the brake pad liners are worn out..

Done for the eavening, cleaned up the hub and starting to make a Bill Of Materials to get it back in functional order again!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what a mess, looks like the handbrake has been seized on and overheated
I guess so too, anyway.. The rear brakes (262mm disks, 168mm diameter on the internal drums) are cheap and I got a pair for £29 a piece at a local dealer. I have also sourced the mounting kit for the brake shoes localy for £15. The brake shoes themselvs where more expensive here so I ended up ordering a set from UK via ebay. £33 incl shipping is fair I think.

Btw, for the record it appears to be the same rear brake construction on the XG as on the Kia Magentis (MS) my 00-05 and Hyundai Sonata (NF) my 04-10. Atleast so here in Europe, with some varieties on the bolt holes for the wheels nuts. This insight made it cheaper and easier to find the brake shoes and mounting kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts