Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post. I purchased a 2010 Accent SE 3-door two months ago and feel it's a great car for the price. I'm sure I am not alone in this, but I wish the parcel shelf had straps hooked up to the hatch lid so it raises and lowers in unison. My other car, a 2008 Mazdaspeed3, has this, and it's one of those "features" you don't appreciate until you don't have it... like now. I thought about purchasing some nylon cords and securing them to the spoiler's mount. Or I could get a set from an old Scirocco or Golf and try to make them fit.

I just wanted to see if anyone has attempted this before I give it a shot. I can't be the first person to load the cargo area, climb into the car, and then scoff at seeing the parcel shelf raised in the rear-view.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So...fracking...frustrating. Anyone with the hatch has done it and it's definitely annoying.

I haven't bothered but it would be quite easy to do. You would want to open the hatch and then raise the cover to the level you would want (45° or so) and measure the gap from cover lip to hatch bottom. Then cut some straps to that length plus 6 inches or so, tuck it under the plastic of the hatch and then get some velcro double-sided tape and put them underneath the cover. If you stick another half of velcro tape to the hatch you could attach the straps to the hatch at both ends for those times when you want them out of the way.

Let us know what you end up choosing with some pics please :)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I left the parcel shelf up quite a few times in the beginning as well. I did find it quite odd that Hyundai cheaped out of parcel shelf straps... The Rio5 has strings to raise and lower it. If the parts guy behind the counter at your local KIA dealership is friendly, he could look up the parts needed for a conversion (strings & the little ball it clips on).

If you want Hyundai parts, these could be made to work but I don't know if the string will be the right lenght.

Accent 95-99
Screw grommet - 14910-04000
Hanger - 85955-24200
Screw - 12431-05163
Tube covering - 85949-24200
Shelf cable - 85936-22400

A junkyard would be a good place to look too.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've never had a problem with it :p

I guess I'm so used to having manual cargo covers that I prefer them now. BTW do any of you have the cargo net? It sits very high and I find I need to open the cover completely just to access any cargo space [not just 45˚] :wacko:

·
Registered
121 Posts
If the accent had a hatch release lever this wouldn't frustrate me so much. With how it is now if I lock the hatch and forget it up and go to drive away, I have to stop the car to use the keys to unlock the hatch to put the shelf down.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (StripedAccent @ Oct 26 2010, 09:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366371
I've never had a problem with it :p

I guess I'm so used to having manual cargo covers that I prefer them now. BTW do any of you have the cargo net? It sits very high and I find I need to open the cover completely just to access any cargo space [not just 45˚] :wacko:
I do, and that's the reason why it's been sitting in my closet since I got the car.

·
Registered
497 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Oct 26 2010, 11:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366407
I do, and that's the reason why it's been sitting in my closet since I got the car.
Its still useful so I keep it up. Rather than keep it in the closet, why not mount it to the bottom hooks to keep stuff from sliding around?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Oct 26 2010, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366418
It's a tight fit already with the bone in the hatch :)
Woah, fella! I thought this place was family friendly. :p

I may stop by a boneyard and see what turns up. Right now it's not a big deal since the car mostly sees commuter duty as the Mazda has a larger interior volume and thus is the defacto grocery/Home Despot mule.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts