Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran my 2013 GT through a touch-free car wash the other day and noticed that there was a wet spot forming inside on the passenger side rear pillar, where the ceiling fabric meets the plastic. I am assuming that there is a drain that is clogged. This is my first car with a Panorama sunroof, so I'm unsure where the drains are located. If there aren't drains in the rear of the car, other ideas for where the water was coming from?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Well I hope its the drain. Not sure exactly where it is located though. On a different note that is EXACTLY the area where myself and a couple other Facebook members/owners have had their panoramic sunroof assembly (Plastic) crack and in turn leak into the car. This will happen on either side since mine was on the passenger and others have had it on the drivers. This water will usually travel down the headliner, behind the carpeting, and into the spare tire area and also possibly in the little side cubby storage area. To check for the crack it will require removing the headliner enough to look under it and at the sunroof assembly while running water down the roof of the car to check for leaks. I can provide some pictures if you would like to join the Facebook group since it is much easier to send them there.

If it is the sunroof this will either be a "caulk" style fix or like myself a new sunroof assembly since I was under warranty still.

"Hyundai Elantra GT/I30 Owners" - Group name

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had this and the frame that held the sunroof had to be replaced. My issue was on the driver's side though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've joined Hyundai Elantra GT/I30 Owners on Facebook.

So far, it's only leaked once. We even had several hard rains and there hasn't been a leak. Maybe it was just the high powered jets or dryer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I hope its the drain. Not sure exactly where it is located though. On a different note that is EXACTLY the area where myself and a couple other Facebook members/owners have had their panoramic sunroof assembly (Plastic) crack and in turn leak into the car. This will happen on either side since mine was on the passenger and others have had it on the drivers. This water will usually travel down the headliner, behind the carpeting, and into the spare tire area and also possibly in the little side cubby storage area. To check for the crack it will require removing the headliner enough to look under it and at the sunroof assembly while running water down the roof of the car to check for leaks. I can provide some pictures if you would like to join the Facebook group since it is much easier to send them there.

If it is the sunroof this will either be a "caulk" style fix or like myself a new sunroof assembly since I was under warranty still.

"Hyundai Elantra GT/I30 Owners" - Group name

Hey, I know this thread is old..but I need some help.
I bought the extended warrenty 8yr or 150k (I’m from Canada), and my dealer just called me about the above problem (crack in assembly leading to leak..)
Dealer is quoting me $3000.00+tax+labour and saying it’s not under warranty. Can someone help????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can anyone help me please?!
Hi, this happened to me also, had 160K warranty, and although still under coverage, they refused to fix it, stating it wasn't covered. They did attempt to caulk up the cracks in the plastic frame, but the leaks returned. I refuse to spend a bunch of money because of this leak, I just keep my spare tire well drained from time to time. Could lead to some future rust issues, but so far, its really just water accumulating on the back where the spare tire is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, this happened to me also, had 160K warranty, and although still under coverage, they refused to fix it, stating it wasn't covered. They did attempt to caulk up the cracks in the plastic frame, but the leaks returned. I refuse to spend a bunch of money because of this leak, I just keep my spare tire well drained from time to time. Could lead to some future rust issues, but so far, its really just water accumulating on the back where the spare tire is.
But I’m getting water in carpet of rear passenger side seat...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Right, I assume that means your crack(s) in the frame are more towards the front of the vehicle, which changes your path of least resistance to end on the floor at the backseat. Luckily for me, mine takes it to the back spare tire well.
Not sure I know how to help, other than to say, when I contemplated tackling this, it appeared I needed to both stop it from entering the car at the source, and take off the interior side panels to inspect any non-visible damage, then drain what was there.
The dealership showed me the cracks and they used silicone to close them. Hard to say if that ever really worked, or just a long time between the weather conditions which cause it to leak, but I am skeptical it ever worked at all, as less than 6 months later I have another puddle in the back.

·
Registered
857 Posts
But I’m getting water in carpet of rear passenger side seat...
you can try to seal a crack in the plastics above the headliner yourself.
I'd definitely recommend an automotive adhesive that I use on many things... it comes in a tube, is gooey initially and cures very hard in a day. Its called GOOP and is sold at Canadian Tire in the automotive section. Comes in clear or black. I have used it on all sorts of things and it has a wide variety of uses... for a $10 tube (109 ml size) If you can locate the crack in the plastic, I will say this stuff will seal it and add back strength to the piece so it won't crack again in that place. Use a generous amount.... even a second coat if you think necessary. It might tend to sag initially until it sets up on vertical surfaces.. so watch for that.
Not a great time in Canada to apply it though.... not sure of the cold weather cure time. I have repaired broken tabs on ABS hub caps with this stuff... and they stand up. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts