Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe XL Luxury
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been getting a grit-like noise when opening the pano roof and discovered that the aluminum slide rails were coated in a fine sand. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to remove the sliding glass panel to clean the attached guides/brackets but I have managed to wipe the rails by running a folded dry cloth on a thin putty knife down between the weather stripping. This has helped a bit but is by no means perfect. I still get some grinding nearing the end of the “open” cycle. Ideally, I need to remove the sliding glass panel to thoroughly clean and lube the metal guides. Not a whole lot out there on Hyundai pano maintenance. It would be nice though to hear from someone who has had experience with removing the sliding glass component (specific to the Santa Fe). Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe XL Luxury
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm quickly warming up to your second option the more I read about these. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here is even more info.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe XL Luxury
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff. Thanks Bill. Decided not to remove the sliding glass panel after all. I did however manage to remove one screw with my cordless drill (getting dangerously close to the glass) only to discover that it was anchored with loctite and would require heat to remove the others properly. Too risky with possible high heat concentrations near that fragile glass. So, plan B. I bent the end of a dull hacksaw blade to 90 degrees 1/4" long, wrapped it in a thin doubled up cloth and wedged it between the stationary glass panel weatherstripping to get in to the lateral grooves. This worked really well at removing additional dirt build up. Of course cleaning the open section of the roof was easy but I really wanted to get in to clean the wear surface of the panel guide brackets. Oh well. I completed the job by spraying PB Blaster dry lube with teflon on all rails. (Comes with a handy straw) I don't know if the roof retracts any quicker now but it sure sounds a lot better. I'm happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts