Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Long story short, jumping into the vehicle market sooner then expect. Tire kicking for now but different models are on the list. My wife and I were looking at Santa Fes new and only a couple of years old but we also took a look at the Palisades since we were on the lot. Nice vehicle. However we could not get a test drive due to our time limits. We were thinking maybe something at the end of the year at the earliest as we have vehicles to cover our needs for the short to medium term. Anyway, I travel for work. Constantly on the road. One thing I noticed about the Palisade it is darn near invisible. I have yet see one on the road, in a parking lot, or anywhere else outside of a dealer lot. Geographically speaking I am outside New York City. My travels take me throughout the northeast. A few dealers in the local area have them on the lot. Several dealers seem to have quite a number on hand. The web site counts don't seem to move or show movement. Any thoughts on why the lack of sales in a certain region? I wonder if sales figures are skewed due to popularity in one sales region over another. Here is my thoughts.

1) Vehicle too new for incentives.
2) Pricing might be too high of said vehicle making buyers look elsewhere to other competitors.
3) Dealers holding out for higher pricing
4) I would think the idea of moving vehicles to another region where the vehicle is selling crossed my mind especially if they get a premium for them.
5) Over ordering in expectation for high sales which to me don't seem like they are happening.

Discuss.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi,

Long story short, jumping into the vehicle market sooner then expect. Tire kicking for now but different models are on the list. My wife and I were looking at Santa Fes new and only a couple of years old but we also took a look at the Palisades since we were on the lot. Nice vehicle. However we could not get a test drive due to our time limits. We were thinking maybe something at the end of the year at the earliest as we have vehicles to cover our needs for the short to medium term. Anyway, I travel for work. Constantly on the road. One thing I noticed about the Palisade it is darn near invisible. I have yet see one on the road, in a parking lot, or anywhere else outside of a dealer lot. Geographically speaking I am outside New York City. My travels take me throughout the northeast. A few dealers in the local area have them on the lot. Several dealers seem to have quite a number on hand. The web site counts don't seem to move or show movement. Any thoughts on why the lack of sales in a certain region? I wonder if sales figures are skewed due to popularity in one sales region over another. Here is my thoughts.

2) Pricing might be too high of said vehicle making buyers look elsewhere to other competitors.
4) I would think the idea of moving vehicles to another region where the vehicle is selling crossed my mind especially if they get a premium for them.
5) Over ordering in expectation for high sales which to me don't seem like they are happening.

Discuss.
The Palisade is extremely competitive price-wise. Pricing isn't the issue.

Dealers are most certainly not holding out. These things are selling the day they're driven off the truck, particularly in Limited trim.

The reason you don't see the web site counts move is that these cars are not actually at the dealership yet. They're either still on the boat (these are made in South Korea) or waiting to get their tires replaced at the port of entry due to flat spots (happened to us).

And I think you should check window stickers for VIN numbers. In the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many paint colors available for the Palisade. YoU might see what you think is the same car, but it really isn't: it's a different VIN.

These cars are selling. They're not sitting on lots at all. It's been widely reported that Hyundai can't keep up with demand for it, even in their home market of South Korea. There are other online forums dedicated to the Palisade (more popular than here) and a lot of people are going out of state to get one, or are having to wait months to get theirs.

I think you're misreading the situation here.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
There’s not much to discuss. These new vehicles just hit the dealers’ lots circa August and are selling like hotcakes. They are commanding premium prices and won’t be a “sensible” buy until the excitement dies down. That could be as soon as this coming winter when the snow falls and showrooms get quieter. It’s good that you are not in any hurry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

Discuss.
Consider that at the last count (as of the 17th of Sept) Hyundai has sold 9,962 Palisades nationwide. So I don't imagine you will see many around unless you live near a dealership that has sold some. Here in this part of Alabama the dealer has sold the three he had and I have only seen one of those on the road. Yesterday someone flagged down the wife driving ours (purchased out of state) to comment and declare that she was waiting for hers to arrive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting feedback. I have 2 dealerships within 10 miles from me. One of them seems to be larger than the other. I see their sold vehicles all over. My wife and I were at this dealership looking at the Palisade. They didn't have a model in the showroom. However, when we asked to take a look at the vehicle, a sales rep came out with a smart device. She looked up the vehicle and said OK I got a handful right here on this line and another 20 or so in the storage lot. Then she grabbed about 4 sets of keys for multiple vehicles. 2 were up front and the other 2 were in the back. We took one of them to the back lot to see the inventory in the back. While we were there, there was another one up front that had dealer plates on it for a test drive. So for a hot vehicle, I found it odd the dealer had about 2 dozen units in various trim levels. The dealer rep told me that have all the optioned out versions that we could look at to make a decision. The other dealership has about 8 of them in stock. She would put us in touch with a sales team member if we were interesting in progressing further.

As a matter of fact, the same dealer called me this afternoon because I looked a used Santa Fe Sport on the lot. They had sold it before I got a chance to look at it again. As I was speaking with dealer employee I said my wife were just down there a couple of weeks ago checking out the Palisade. She said they have over 25 in stock and could have a sales rep bring it to us or we can make an appointment to test drive one and arrange a price quote. Unfortunately, my work schedule sucks. I have been pulling 60s (60 hours across 5 or 6 days ) in the past couple of weeks. Hence why I can wait on a vehicle purchase. I know it is the end of the month, so I figure they are trying to drum up sales.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you are seriously in the market for a Palisade then I would encourage you to consider the old adage:
"Bird in hand better than two in bush". I'm just saying that ownership beats desiring.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lot's of misinformation in this thread. I'll attempt to help.

1) Hyundai Motors (parent company of Hyundai and Kia) woefully underestimated sales demand for the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade @ 25K each for their first full year of sales. They're both on pace to exceed 60K each.
2) Custom orders are now in the 8 to 10 month wait range if you want to have your dealer order your Palisade from Ulsan, South Korea.
3) Many dealers are sold out of the high end Limited and especially AWD vehicles and are receiving 1 per month until the factory can catch up.
4) Many dealers are also gouging because they can. All dealers around me are adding $1K to $5K to MSRP on Limited models.
5) Sales are higher than the 9,962 quoted above. This is the number I shared as of August 31st. We'll need to wait another week to see September results. So far through August 31st:
  • 34,160 Kia Tellurides have sold
  • 9,962 Hyundai Palisades have sold
Considering that Hyundai Palisades really didn't hit dealers until July, nearly 10K units is pretty strong. The Telluride was out with inventory in March giving them a 4 month head start.

Remember that these are brand new models so comparing what you see to other vehicles isn't really an apples to apples comparison. Most people couldn't tell a 2017 Honda Pilot from a 2018 or 2019. We've had ours for 3 months and we've seen 3 others. 1 Limited and 2 SEL's. The 2 SEL's stopped and talked to us which we found hilarious.

@Shaggy77 what dealership are you referring to. I'll pull up their inventory to confirm their 25 "in stock".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are seriously in the market for a Palisade then I would encourage you to consider the old adage:
"Bird in hand better than two in bush". I'm just saying that ownership beats desiring.
Agreed. Don't have time now. On my limited downtime, I have other matters to attend to. Also once again not in a rush. My wife and I have to capable vehicles for commuting. Unfortunately, I am racking up the miles on the vehicle that is suppose to be the 3rd vehicle. However without boring you with the details of my personal life I will leave it at this point. There are a number of reasons of why I am at a research stage not buying stage. As my wife says, "it's not the best situation, but not the worst. It could be much worse." So going to deal with it now.

Lot's of misinformation in this thread. I'll attempt to help.

1) Hyundai Motors (parent company of Hyundai and Kia) woefully underestimated sales demand for the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade @ 25K each for their first full year of sales. They're both on pace to exceed 60K each.
2) Custom orders are now in the 8 to 10 month wait range if you want to have your dealer order your Palisade from Ulsan, South Korea.
3) Many dealers are sold out of the high end Limited and especially AWD vehicles and are receiving 1 per month until the factory can catch up.
4) Many dealers are also gouging because they can. All dealers around me are adding $1K to $5K to MSRP on Limited models.
5) Sales are higher than the 9,962 quoted above. This is the number I shared as of August 31st. We'll need to wait another week to see September results. So far through August 31st:
  • 34,160 Kia Tellurides have sold
  • 9,962 Hyundai Palisades have sold
Considering that Hyundai Palisades really didn't hit dealers until July, nearly 10K units is pretty strong. The Telluride was out with inventory in March giving them a 4 month head start.

Remember that these are brand new models so comparing what you see to other vehicles isn't really an apples to apples comparison. Most people couldn't tell a 2017 Honda Pilot from a 2018 or 2019. We've had ours for 3 months and we've seen 3 others. 1 Limited and 2 SEL's. The 2 SEL's stopped and talked to us which we found hilarious.

@Shaggy77 what dealership are you referring to. I'll pull up their inventory to confirm their 25 "in stock".
I think that depends on what part of the country you are in. Maybe in New Jersey we do not have as much of a demand as let's say Alabama as one forum member stated previously. If that is the case, I would suggest to anyone to purchase a plane ticket to NYC region. Get he uber to the dealer and drive home after a few hours of paperwork and negotiation. As for your Honda story. My wife gets the same thing about her Sonata Hybrid. Every so often someone will notice it as a Hybrid or will have a Hybrid. Those are rare vehicles as in limited production. Nice vehicle and really a reason why I am considering a Hyundai in the first place.

Look I am not trying to start an argument here. I am just trying to understand the popularity of the vehicle. To me, from what I see locally, doesn't add up to what I read on a web based level, I am trying to make more sense of the matter. To me, paying 5K over a sticker is just stupid. Unless it is some kind of limited edition super car, that might be the only time cause chances are you are crazy rich and can afford that splurge. Example, when I worked for another company years ago now, I met a customer who had a Bentley as a daily driver. I needed something from a local town and instead of me running out to get it, he drove out with the Bentley. That was the cheap car. The garage was very nice with some really expensive cars like a Ferrari, some kind of other sports car and a couple of classics.

Also we are considering a Santa Fe. Quite frankly, I would entertain a used one as well. So who knows. Hence why I am researching it all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We took a test drive this morning. Our sales rep came out and said they will not sell more than sticker. They know there are dealers selling over sticker due to being a hot model. He also mentioned they had the most inventory in the area. Being completely honest, I was not impressed with our test drive. We used the dealer's demo model for a test drive with 108 miles. SEL AWD model optioned out. Simply put we didn't drive it more than 15 minutes. Driver side had too much wind noise to the point my wife noticed it on the passager side. She asked if I had the window down. We checked the door and the window to make sure it was not a weird placement of the seal. During the test drive, I was not impressed by the transmission. It just felt it didn't know what gear to be in. At stop lights it felt jerky. We didn't take it on the interstate cause of the wind noise. We turned around a few miles up the road and drove it back. It was one of the few times in which I was happy to back to the dealership. My wife was not impressed and she said she could feel some kind of vibration on her side of the vehicle. She also felt the vehicle was larger than what we needed. My wife also pointed out we would never buy over sticker even if we needed to. Smart lady :)

Anyway, since i tested a Santa Fe Ultimate package about a month ago, I wanted to test a 2.0T. Simply put, both the wife and myself are impressed. It was quiet. No weird noises or vibrations. We drove the same streets we both normal drive so we knew what road conditions. It was quick and appears to do exactly what we would want in a vehicle. We had it out for 30 minute ride. 4 lane roads 6 lane interstates. 2 lane side streets. Nice overall ride. The real person besides me the wife was highly impressed. When we came back, we spoke with the sales rep. He knew up front we were just looking and getting a feel for what's out there. No sales pressure. He totally got it. So we are putting a Santa Fe 2.0T limited on the list and taking off the Palisade.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@Shaggy77 Thanks for sharing. Now which dealer? We’ve got forum members looking. Why the secrecy around these 25 especially since you’re not a buyer.

Found it - Towne Hyundai, Denville, NJ

Supposedly 25 units at this dealer with $0 markup for those looking. Thanks to shappy for finally sharing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most dealers in the area have anywhere from 5-10 units on the lot. I ran a search in a 50 mile radius. I think 160 models came up. All trim levels. However I did the same thing with the Kia Dealer. Much lower inventory levels. A friend of ours has a Telluride lease. They like it but they also have 3 children. So they need the larger vehicle.

Yes Towne seems to be a good dealer. I had a few relatives and friends who purchased there. They seem to put many vehicles on the road. I see their sales pretty much everywhere locally. Low pressure at least from what I got from the place. I have tested a number of vehicles from there but I do not the best timing luck with things. Long story.

Anyway, good luck with your vehicle searches.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi,

Discuss.
Last year my wife and I bought a 4wd 2017 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate with 27,00K to replace a 2009 santa Fe 3.3 at 97K that we used to tow a 3,000 lb camper 6,000 miles or so including a trip from Alabama to Arizona and back. The 2017 has so many features we still haven't figured out all of them. It runs great, is loaded with safety features and better tows our camper. However, any Santa Fe past 2018 won't have a CD player, even as an option. MSRP on our 2017 was about 45,000, we paid 30,000 for a one year old car from a dealer. it also came with 250,000 kilometer (150,000 mile) drivetrain warranty, but their drivetrain warrantys can be pretty sketchy in what they cover. Alternators and radiators for example may not be covered, although on our 09 the valve cover leaked on the alternator, ruining it, and they fixed it under warranty. It also came with a 100,000 mile body coverage, but that doesn't cover mirror and seat actuators, although we never had a problem with our 09 mirror and seat actuators. In the 2017 however, they are used every time you get in the car, so may break sooner. Being from NY tho, you may not find any used car that hasn't had the crap beat out of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My biggest concern of buying new is how quickly the Hyundai's loose their value. I would hate to pay new again for a big price tag and then 3 yrs down the road only worth half at most.
My 28k sonata was onky worth 9500 trade in or 10,300 sale 3 yrs later w 55k miles.
Last year my wife and I bought a 4wd 2017 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate with 27,00K to replace a 2009 santa Fe 3.3 at 97K that we used to tow a 3,000 lb camper 6,000 miles or so including a trip from Alabama to Arizona and back. The 2017 has so many features we still haven't figured out all of them. It runs great, is loaded with safety features and better tows our camper. However, any Santa Fe past 2018 won't have a CD player, even as an option. MSRP on our 2017 was about 45,000, we paid 30,000 for a one year old car from a dealer. it also came with 250,000 kilometer (150,000 mile) drivetrain warranty, but their drivetrain warrantys can be pretty sketchy in what they cover. Alternators and radiators for example may not be covered, although on our 09 the valve cover leaked on the alternator, ruining it, and they fixed it under warranty. It also came with a 100,000 mile body coverage, but that doesn't cover mirror and seat actuators, although we never had a problem with our 09 mirror and seat actuators. In the 2017 however, they are used every time you get in the car, so may break sooner. Being from NY tho, you may not find any used car that hasn't had the crap beat out of it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My biggest concern of buying new is how quickly the Hyundai's loose their value. I would hate to pay new again for a big price tag and then 3 yrs down the road only worth half at most.
My 28k sonata was onky worth 9500 trade in or 10,300 sale 3 yrs later w 55k miles.
Because nobody buys sedans anymore. This isn't a Hyundai thing. Hyundai crossovers retain their value as well as any other brand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a good link from a reputable source to answer the deprecation question. https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/how-fast-does-my-new-car-lose-value-infographic.html
All cars lose value. Some faster than others. The main reason is the used car market for that particular vehicle. For example in 1990"s the Lexus LS and the Infiniti Q45 sold new for the same amount, 5 years later the Lexus retails used for about $5000 more than the Infiniti. Why? Potential customer preference for the Lexus over the Infiniti. The market sets the price and hence the deprecation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I finally saw one on the road the other day. Temp tags on the vehicle from Towne I think. I didn't get a look at the plate frame or dealer decal. Even if my wife and I are not going to buy one, I thought it was good to see one on the road. Quite frankly, if our tester was a better drive, we could have possibly considered purchasing one just to have that different feeling vehicle in the neighborhood. I hope this different vehicle keeps resale up for those who bought.

The wife and I decided not to buy anything for the time being. We been too busy with work and life. My schedule has not died down. If anything it got further ramped up. The weekends are too crazy to really stop and waste a day on car test drives and the like. Also I expect our dealer sales rep to start calling about once every couple of weeks starting around mid November as we told them we are on a long term plan with our purchase. The gentleman said he would contact us in late November December time frame to let us know if there were any better rebates or pricing options.

Speaking of Towne, the last time I checked they are still in the 30 unit range for models on hand. So if you are looking,a call and a plane flight depending on the region you live in, might be in order.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update. My wife and I are thinking about putting a Palisade back on the short list. However, our plans to purchase seem to have changed a bit. If things go smoothly, we are thinking about middle of next year as one of our vehicles should hopefully be paid off. My truck was an unexpected expenditure that happened last year. I will probably have to ride out the payment til at least June before considering another vehicle. With any luck, pricing may come back with better incentives.

My wife and I looked at several of our choices and found if we go with a loaded Sante Fe we are really not much further from the Palisade. We would deal with the size overall as well since we did come from an older Explorer which was very close in size to begin with. I think my wife just really didn't notice as much. It might have worked out as I see now Hyundai has issued some TSB documents regarding some of the issues we had experienced in our test drive with drive line vibration.

Local dealers are still stocked with them. All trim levels. So I doubt the inventory will dry out any time soon. If it does, we will deal with it then.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Update. My wife and I are thinking about putting a Palisade back on the short list. However, our plans to purchase seem to have changed a bit. If things go smoothly, we are thinking about middle of next year as one of our vehicles should hopefully be paid off. My truck was an unexpected expenditure that happened last year. I will probably have to ride out the payment til at least June before considering another vehicle. With any luck, pricing may come back with better incentives.

My wife and I looked at several of our choices and found if we go with a loaded Sante Fe we are really not much further from the Palisade. We would deal with the size overall as well since we did come from an older Explorer which was very close in size to begin with. I think my wife just really didn't notice as much. It might have worked out as I see now Hyundai has issued some TSB documents regarding some of the issues we had experienced in our test drive with drive line vibration.

Local dealers are still stocked with them. All trim levels. So I doubt the inventory will dry out any time soon. If it does, we will deal with it then.
I would move up to the top line model, regardless. The SEL I saw on the dealer’s lot had that chintzy rooftop antenna. I suspect that is deliberate to move the buyer up to the more expensive model.

But before I would make a final decision in would also check out the Kia Telleride which edged out the Pallisaid and the writer in Motor Trend were effusive in their paise. Believe they compared it to vehicles costing $30K more. It probably comes down to personal taste. As to the vehicle itself it is a wonderful vehicle. I would have bought one but I was unwilling to pay that much in monthly payments. On the pluse side, the residual is 61% which will lower the lease payments. But expect to pay through the nose. The only discount is the $500 veteran discount. Good luck in finding one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts